• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Thermostat O-Ring Placement, How's it go back in?

Started by BlackJac, February 19, 2015, 06:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackJac

When I removed the thermostat housing the oring was just sitting inside in front of the thermostat. So I just install the new thermostat, then stick the oring inside and bolt the housing back on? Sorry for my ignorance, never changed one like this.
2017 Fusion Sport - 401A/ Moonroof/ Magnetic Grey/ Livernois Motorsports 93 Stage 3

2015 Explorer Sport  - SOLD

Modded 1980 Corvette https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SUDndpy8bw

Jtrain

They definitely don't like you doing it. I'm pretty sure I used a new one for the record- you never really want to re-use any kind of gasket. My shop had a really tough time with it too.
2004 G35: Built Motor 8.8:1, Single Disc Kevlar Clutch, 3" Dual Turbo Back, G18 Twin Turbos, 18PSI, 600 Wheel HP
2007 Jeep SRT8 13.4 @104 Sold for....
2014 Ford Explorer Sport: K&N, .030 NGK plugs, 170 Tstat, 3Bar sensor, Tuned with SCT Tuner

SHOdded

Quote from: BlackJac on February 19, 2015, 06:28:21 PM
When I removed the thermostat housing the oring was just sitting inside in front of the thermostat. So I just install the new thermostat, then stick the oring inside and bolt the housing back on? Sorry for my ignorance, never changed one like this.
Sure sounds like it, from the HowTo Dave did:
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,2280.msg32885.html#msg32885
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BlackJac

I figured it out. Thermostat goes in first, then o-ring seal. The end of the thermostat housing is tapered to make the seal with the o-ring. I lost a lot of coolant and refilled about 3/4 a gallon of Motorcraft 50/50 orange pre-mix. I ran it with the heater on high, coolant cap off, and let the fans kick on a few times. Also kicked the rpms up a bit to help push air out of the system, and when I did that the heat got nice and hot coming out of the vents inside. I drove it to work this morning and topped it off with a little more coolant. I checked for leaks too, none visible, so looks good.

2017 Fusion Sport - 401A/ Moonroof/ Magnetic Grey/ Livernois Motorsports 93 Stage 3

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

It sounds about right,if you can after driving the car 15-20min shut it off and wait 15 min to cool off and turn the coolant cap slowly to release any trapped air in the system,do that a few times and check the reservoir and add coolant as necessary.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

BlackJac

SHOnUup

Good job, looks like you read up on the key points for this job!

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

BlackJac

SCSHO

Quote from: BlackJac on February 20, 2015, 08:02:50 AM
I figured it out. Thermostat goes in first, then o-ring seal. The end of the thermostat housing is tapered to make the seal with the o-ring. I lost a lot of coolant and refilled about 3/4 a gallon of Motorcraft 50/50 orange pre-mix. I ran it with the heater on high, coolant cap off, and let the fans kick on a few times. Also kicked the rpms up a bit to help push air out of the system, and when I did that the heat got nice and hot coming out of the vents inside. I drove it to work this morning and topped it off with a little more coolant. I checked for leaks too, none visible, so looks good.

Thats the reservoir off to the left side of the engine bay? I managed to loose a lot of coolant as well.
2011 SHO non-PP