• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Blackstone Laboratories - PTU Report

Started by Wojomojo, February 06, 2015, 06:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wojomojo

I sent off my PTU fluid to Blackstone Labs and had them perform the standard analysis on it. The SHO had 67,500 miles on it on the factory PTU fluid. The car was tuned for 17k of those miles. I put royal purple fluid back in, and so far it seems like an improvement.

I attached the PDF file of the report so you guys can all check it out for yourselves!

Here is the general synopsis from them:

JUSTIN:  Thanks for the note about the metal on the drain plug. That's always something to pay attention
to, though some metal is unavoidable. Honestly, wear metals look pretty good here, especially for factory oil
that was in use 67,500 miles. Silicon is very high here, probably from factory sealers, but it might be additive
in the oil too. The biggest concern is solids. There are large chunks of debris present. They aren't ferrous,
so we're not sure what they are, but it was a good idea to change the oil. Run 30K miles and check back to
monitor the condition of the oil.

I really am curious as to what they found as far as the large chunks. Was definitely worth changing just from hearing that. The further breakdown is in the attached pdf.
Justin "Wojo"

2010 Tuxedo Black SHO - non-pp, 20's, nav, massage seats - Torrie Tuned, Dynomax Mufflers, Magnaflow x pipe (3rd cat + resonator delete), 3 bar map, airaid CAI, SP534 .030 plugs. Meth injection and 170 degree thermostat soon! Plastidipped rims and other accessories. 344awhp and 375 awtq on a mustang dyno called "The Heart Breaker"

SHOdded

Thanks for posting the results, Justin :thumb:  Looking at the MSDS, sealants do seem to be the source for the silicon.  Could the current PTU be a replacement part?
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/1356/silicon-oil-source
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/the-silicon-bugaboo.php

The other "high" number is IRON, which I believe Crash had posted an explanation for earlier, hope he chimes in again on that.  Also curious about the "chunks" in the oil.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOnUup

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

SHO-Pa

Good info. I compared it to my sample sent back in November and its quite a difference. Your's looked a lot better than my sample with twice as many miles.... Makes me wonder what I bought....

Wouldn't it be great for those of us that sample fluids to be able to have a library of test data here on the site?
2011 SHO - stock
2016 Explorer XLT 2.3L "4wd"
2018 Focus Titanium

Wojomojo

That would be handy! I cannot be 100% certain that it hasn't been replaced before. I'd assume that it hasn't. I bought the car with 49k miles on it and no modifications were done to the car. So I will assume it went a full 67k miles on that fluid. I guess it makes me feel better that mine isn't as bad as others. I didn't think the fluid was too terrible when I was changing. Didn't look nearly as bad as other pictures I've seen or what they've described it.
Justin "Wojo"

2010 Tuxedo Black SHO - non-pp, 20's, nav, massage seats - Torrie Tuned, Dynomax Mufflers, Magnaflow x pipe (3rd cat + resonator delete), 3 bar map, airaid CAI, SP534 .030 plugs. Meth injection and 170 degree thermostat soon! Plastidipped rims and other accessories. 344awhp and 375 awtq on a mustang dyno called "The Heart Breaker"