• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Tune degradation????

Started by Dxlnt1, February 02, 2015, 10:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dxlnt1

My 2011 running LMS 4x tune seems to lose some of its bite over time. Cant really say how much time, maybe a couple months?

One time the car flat out wouldnt run at all. Had to retune just to get to smooth operation. This was also around the same time when my transmission went out. So not sure if related.

Using Torque for Android, my 0-60 time from a dig is around 9 seconds. Previously I was using iphone and Dash Command and getting 4-5 second times. I havent dont a boosted launch so cant say what that time is now.

1. Is this normal?
2. Does anyone else have to retune their cars to keep them pristine?
3. Does the Unleashed or L.E.T. tunes have same issues?
4. None of my "stock" cars require any regular maintenance on the ecm for car to run normally.
5. Is the Android app is slower to communicate?

The ever so popular booty dyno still feels ok, I guess. Car runs smooth. Had low battery and had to recharge is only variable. I think I retuned car after that since everything in car had reset. I went ahead just to be sure.
2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

SHOnUup

Torque pro is way off for me sometimes. Giving me a 6 sec 0-60, but a 8.2 in the 1/8 on same pull...those #'s just don't work

The car learns your driving and starts "smoothing" it out. I reflash about every 4-6 weeks.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

CroR1

when you say you re flash, do you reload the tune, or do you disconnect the battery to reset the ecm?

SHOnUup

Reload the tune.

This is where the "learned knock" gauge would be cool. If it's actually working. Our resident guru is looking into this!

Rich

Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

Dxlnt1

So rhetorically then, the cars "learns" driving habits to adapt shift patterns, firmness etc for transmission. Reloading tune constantly seems to defeat this. Is this any harder on transmission?

If you reloading on a regular basis, I guess I will have to as well. I assume the same holds true for meth and dp applications?
2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

ZSHO

For me personally would check your battery for proper voltage with a multimeter,another note is the original battery on the cars have a short lifespan and they sometimes average onle three years,so basically a low battery can cause your issues,how does she start in the morning,any hesitation? i updated to the BXT-65-850 M.C battery,more cranking amps and overall better performance.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Dxlnt1

I did have issue with low battery. Drained enough to need a charge to restart. Dealer says battery fine, just needed charging. So whenever I do replace battery, I will be looking for a stronger one to use. Incidentally, this battery was replaced before I bought car in 2013 I think.

FoMoCoSHO

I have not had to reload a tune.

There was an issue in the early 4 cyl Duratec world of adaptive learning needing to be disabled or the car would "unlearn" the tune.

I don't think this is an issue with the Ecoboost.

AJP turbo

Questions like these make me wonder if people really understand what happens with a "tune" when you tune your car. If a tune is set up right, then there is nothing to relearn or revert to. The ECU doesn't store a previous version or a hard code within the ECU that it always will try to go back to.

When a tune is wrote and loaded to a device then flashed to the car the ECU has been completely reformatted and the ECU only knows what values have been inserted into all the various tables, and there are a lot. Even when the person that writes the tune leaves adaptive fuel control on, as long as it's set up correctly then it will adapt to what the tuner has defined in the tables and scalars.

The old tune is GONE when you flash your car, it is however stored in your flash device so you can revert to stock if needed. And for the guys with a 3 bar tune, if the car was in a constant state of trying to revert to stock then it wouldn't run well the closer it's gets to stock and eventually not at all. The values that are changed in a 3 bar tune won't allow the car to run if it was trying to get back to stock
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Dxlnt1

Quote from: ajpturbo on February 03, 2015, 11:05:22 PM
Questions like these make me wonder if people really understand what happens with a "tune" when you tune your car. If a tune is set up right, then there is nothing to relearn or revert to. The ECU doesn't store a previous version or a hard code within the ECU that it always will try to go back to.

When a tune is wrote and loaded to a device then flashed to the car the ECU has been completely reformatted and the ECU only knows what values have been inserted into all the various tables, and there are a lot. Even when the person that writes the tune leaves adaptive fuel control on, as long as it's set up correctly then it will adapt to what the tuner has defined in the tables and scalars.

The old tune is GONE when you flash your car, it is however stored in your flash device so you can revert to stock if needed. And for the guys with a 3 bar tune, if the car was in a constant state of trying to revert to stock then it wouldn't run well the closer it's gets to stock and eventually not at all. The values that are changed in a 3 bar tune won't allow the car to run if it was trying to get back to stock

The question was not about understanding what happens when a tune is written, just the opposite. Generally speaking no car should need its ecm reflashed simply because time has passed or XXX miles on car since last ecm flash. If firmware update etc, thats different.

But if high number of people reflash on a regular basis, then it would seem there is a need to do so. Why is that? Is the question. And is it normal for these tunes on this platform?

bamsho

I only time I reflashed my tune is when I got the car back early Jan from the dealer cause they fixed timing cover leak that was just starting.  They had to take remove a lot to get the timing cover off.  They never disconnected the battery, drove car home, seemed little off, so reflashed and good to go.  But yes, they will learn driving habits, so I just jump on it couple times at week, to keep everything in line.
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

SHOnUup

I'd love to hear from one of our resident tuners that are very familiar with these systems on this.

As 95% of driving the SHO is in an "easy" manner for me. I "feel" like it definitely learns this and adjusts to it.

Then when tune is reflashed, the shifting feels much more harsh for a couple days.

Rich

wasinger3000

I've never noticed a loss of any kind and I've had my same tune running for almost 8 months.

I actually hate re-flashing because my Trans will destroy the tires on the 1-2 until it finally learns the correct pressure to make a hard shift and not a tire shredding shift.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

ZSHO

If you go to your owners manuel and follow the battery and transmission relearn when battery is changed or disconnected,it will show that the engine must relearn its idle and fuel trim strategy for optimum performance,same goes for the transmission,it must relearn its adaptive strategy ,as a result of this the transmission will shift firmly which is normal,overtime the adaptive learning process will fully update the transmission ti its optimum shift feel,so essentially so many variables are to take into consideration pertaining to driving style which is stored on the ECM,when battery is removed or disconnected all of the data is erased and must later relearn it again.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Dxlnt1

Quote from: ZSHO on February 04, 2015, 01:25:34 PM
If you go to your owners manuel and follow the battery and transmission relearn when battery is changed or disconnected,it will show that the engine must relearn its idle and fuel trim strategy for optimum performance,same goes for the transmission,it must relearn its adaptive strategy ,as a result of this the transmission will shift firmly which is normal,overtime the adaptive learning process will fully update the transmission ti its optimum shift feel,so essentially so many variables are to take into consideration pertaining to driving style which is stored on the ECM,when battery is removed or disconnected all of the data is erased and must later relearn it again.

So whenever battery is pulled or drained might as well ref lash tune anyway.

Also, so many are all over the place on this one. I did ref lash yesterday. Then using Torque, I got a better time, but near as good as it has been in the past. But, I don't trust Torque either. Seems to lag too much. Therefore, may not be very accurate. May gotta go to track again for real test