• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2013 Explorer Limited A/C

Started by jtoddk98, February 02, 2015, 06:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtoddk98

Hey guys, I recently went to see my mom. She has a 2013 Explorer limited. When you first turn the AC on, we get a musty smell that soon goes away. Kind of annoying, but that's not the biggest problem. The real problem is the foul, exhaust burning smell that comes through the vents when you step on the gas to accelerate on to the highway or to pass someone. It's so bad that she has to roll down all the windows to get it out. I tried to replicate it, and got the same results, bad exhaust/rotten egg smell. Is there a recall/tsb for this? To me is seems like a safety issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2011 Taurus SHO Performance Package. EBC Stage 4 Brakes. Blacked out chrome. #130 of 602 in Ingot Silver

SHOdded

Rotten egg smell is due to poor fuel quality (too much sulfur).  There seems to be a TSB on exhaust fumes in the cabin, but I cannot confirm the contents:
EXHAUST ODOR IN VEHICLE 
TSBID: 185302 Mfg Num: 14-0130 Issue Date: 2014-07-22

People have been blaming the vents/flaps under the bumper for inadequate circulation on other models as well.

This thread may be useful:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=93c7fd79439ca0ca9d3f228ba2059fb3&t=375439
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOnUup

Sounds like clogged cats or a manifold leak.

Is it loud when it starts up, but quiets down some after warmed up.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

crash712us

Change the cabin filter. And clean the drains in the cowl. Leafs and helicopters will quickly plug up. This must likely the cause of the musty smell.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

jtoddk98

Quote from: crash712us on February 03, 2015, 01:10:32 PM
Change the cabin filter. And clean the drains in the cowl. Leafs and helicopters will quickly plug up. This must likely the cause of the musty smell.

changed the cabin filter. Wasn't wet or really dirty. Still have the musty smell first thing when it the ac starts blowing. I think it may be in the evaporator. Maybe the drain got clogged and there is some smelly organism growing in there. As for the exhaust smell when you stomp on it, I did some research and found that it is a well recognized problem in the explorer community. Taking it to the dealer for an oil change, will have them take a look at it.

2011 Taurus SHO Performance Package. EBC Stage 4 Brakes. Blacked out chrome. #130 of 602 in Ingot Silver