• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PTU service

Started by bamsho, January 09, 2015, 07:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOnUup

Quote from: wasinger3000 on January 13, 2015, 07:36:28 PM
Quote from: SHOdded on January 13, 2015, 06:39:21 PM
I think wasinger had done his, so hope he will chime in.
I actually have the service procedure from ford in .pdf, just pm me your email and I'll send it.
What's the skinny on it though? So we can share with other enthusiasts looking to do this. The basics if you don't mind.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

Wilson

I actually have the service procedure from ford in .pdf, just pm me your email and I'll send it.

Would you happen to have the non PP procedure as well?
2013 SHO (non-PP) Ruby Red Tintcoat
Leading Edge Tuning 93 Tune | 3 Bar MAP | 170* Thermostat | Airaid Intake | PPE 2.5" Downpipes | Snow Stage 2 Meth Kit | H&R Lowering Springs | 22" Falken RT-7M wheels | 265/35/22 Falken Ziex TZ05 tires

SHOnUup

Quote from: Wilson on January 13, 2015, 09:30:13 PM

Would you happen to have the non PP procedure as well?
There's a lengthy how to in the forum here. Not a major job at all on the non pp, just a PITA. Patience is required if you don't have a real vaccum and use the cheap auto store pumps.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

SHOdded

Service manual instructions kindly put up by a member on here:
308-07B Transfer Case — Power Transfer Unit (PTU)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

IHeartGroceries

Anybody happen to have a P/N for that temp. sensor o-ring which must be replaced?
2013 SHO PP

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

jimmyducati

I just did this while replacing the front brakes on my '10 non PP. It was easier and faster than changing out disks and pads!
Im sure everyone knows where the plug you want to pull is, the 10" wobble extension + 2 6" straight extensions and that was out in literally 30 seconds. A combination of above the sway bar and below the 02 sensor worked for me. After that, came the most annoying part... I used the pennzoil brand ball and hose that has been mentioned here, but only because I forgot my mighty vac at home. I got as much out as I could before my arms were toast from holding the end of the hose in the PTU to get just the right angle and pumping that damn ball with the other. I got little less than a half quart out, black and burnt as can be but wasn't to thick (the PTU still had some heat in it after about an hour on the lift). I bought the pump adaptor that screws onto the quart of new gear oil and pumped till it started to drizzle back out, right at a half quart went back in. When I Put the plug back in I actually successfully tightened it with a 3/8 ratchet without any extensions, so atleast on a NON PP, the extensions are not needed! I used the motorcraft brand gear oil to replace it, and at my next oil change ill replace that with amsoil extreme gear and leave it for 20,000.

If you have not done this and you have more than 30k on your car, start saving for a new PTU!! I don't care what Ford says, that crap I pulled out wasn't lubricating anything!!!
2010 White SHO w/two tone interior
2005 Ducati 999s  (the daily ridder)
1998 Ducati 916  (the beauty queen)
1995 Ducati 900ss (the track terror)
1978 Harley Davidson Shovelhead

SammyB

This my first real post here so forgive me if I should've started a new thread but I figured more threads on the same subject aren't very helpful. Mods please feel free to do as you please.

I just went to change mine and at 43k miles, the best I can describe is grey metallic toothpaste. The smell was horrible. There was still some fluid in liquid form that I pumped out. I refilled it with royal purple 75w140. No noise to begin with and no noise now. If you haven't done it, DO NOT WAIT. I called my dealer today and he told me they can't keep the PTU's on the shelf. The California Highway Patrol is burning through them in their Explorers and Police Interceptors. He told me to come in and not mention anything but noise and they would replace the PTU under powertrain warranty since the unit isn't serviceable. To be fair, my shop buys a lot of parts from the dealership and my parts guy told me the name of the service advisor to ask for. The point is is that it's a known issue and Ford will handle it as long as there is a concern besides the condition of the oil. I'm sure those heavy line techs are hungry.
2011 SHO Non-PP. H&R Springs, Unleashed Tune, 3 Bar MAP, 170 deg thermostat. 3rd cat and resonator delete. Custom exhaust with X pipe. Snow Stage 2 Methanol Injection. Custom Cat-less down pipes.

AJP turbo

I'm not sure if it's as bad as the internet forums says it is...But it's not good either...Maybe in the middle....Maybe that dealer can't keep them on the shelf because they enjoy writing their own bonuses and change them out for people at the drop of a hat. That's kinda funny, they change them out for the cops. People like to help cops, they think it's gonna get them a get out of jail free card but they'll give an average customer a hard time lol.

And the fluid is supposed to smell horrible...It's gear oil so nothing strange their
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

BiGMaC

Quote from: SammyB on August 24, 2015, 11:03:42 PM
This my first real post here so forgive me if I should've started a new thread but I figured more threads on the same subject aren't very helpful. Mods please feel free to do as you please.

I just went to change mine and at 43k miles, the best I can describe is grey metallic toothpaste. The smell was horrible. There was still some fluid in liquid form that I pumped out. I refilled it with royal purple 75w140. No noise to begin with and no noise now. If you haven't done it, DO NOT WAIT. I called my dealer today and he told me they can't keep the PTU's on the shelf. The California Highway Patrol is burning through them in their Explorers and Police Interceptors. He told me to come in and not mention anything but noise and they would replace the PTU under powertrain warranty since the unit isn't serviceable. To be fair, my shop buys a lot of parts from the dealership and my parts guy told me the name of the service advisor to ask for. The point is is that it's a known issue and Ford will handle it as long as there is a concern besides the condition of the oil. I'm sure those heavy line techs are hungry.
aj is correct... It always smell burnt and awful...

I'm gonna try my dealer again as I'm rolling 24K now... They agreed that nothing is adequately lubed for 100K miles, but declined to do the oil change because if they do, then Ford wouldn't warrant their work and charge them for a replacement PTU if needed in the future,,,,

What noise do I need to describe to get a new one?

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

CroR1

We should make a petition, or involve NHTSA to make Ford recall these units and replace them with revised units, and or have Ford replace them at least once even if out of warranty, if and when these fail.

BiGMaC

Quote from: cror1 on August 25, 2015, 12:33:13 AM
We should make a petition, or involve NHTSA to make Ford recall these units and replace them with revised units, and or have Ford replace them at least once even if out of warranty, if and when these fail.
We could, but we'd have to be able to document a demonstrable (and injury causing) defect for them to elevate it to the level of a recall. Believe me... Ford has done the math... They'd rather buy a few than buy them all... Just like replacing a whole head, instead of cleaning intake valves, if intake valve coking causes a big problem.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: SammyB on August 24, 2015, 11:03:42 PM

LEO's buy lots of cars.

Ford takes good care of them.

Mrs FoMoCoSHO says many of the LEO failures are due to under maintained vehicles with wear/circumference issues.

Personally, I wouldn't have anything to do with that dealership based on that conversation.

If they are willing to screw Ford over and replace a part that even you say isn't broken, do you really think they'd hesitate to lie to you if it was convenient to them?

pmezo33

Anyone warm up their car to thin out that thick oil before extracting?  I was planning on doing this oil change this weekend and was thinking it might be easier to extract if the oil wasn't so thick.  I'll be using a mityvac to suck out the old stuff.  My car, that i recently purchased, has about 65k miles and i'm assuming has never had a ptu oil change.

ecoboostsho

It's not a bad idea in theory just realize that you will be resting your arm/hand on the CAT to get access to the hole to pump it out.  Warm might be okay but you probably know how hot CAT's can get so it would be difficult to do it when hot.
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile