• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

What are you thankful for this season? Me? 418hp and 513lb/ft torque!

Started by 91hybrid, November 28, 2014, 04:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

91hybrid

Quote from: bigmoneycloser on November 29, 2014, 10:22:54 AM
You should try the new MDesign intake...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing against MDesign's intake, I think it is super sweet looking and will do a GREAT job controlling intake temperatures (which I think was the way it made 15 more hp, lower intake temp=more timing... No data logging to know), but I don't think that it is the intake for me.  The reason for that is; the filters. I know NOTHING about flow ceiling of the filter itself.  I have talked with MDesign requesting flow data on the filter, but all I get is... "its flows great, made 15 hp more than an airraid so it will not be a restriction".  I personally don't think that the MDesign will EVER flow more than a Airraid as the "filter" in an airraid flows 1300 cfm (enough to easily support 600 crank hp) and the MDesign housing is so small it will never hold a big enough filter to flow those kind of numbers (especially once dirty).  No one can tell me what the actual flow numbers on the filter are so untill someone has one and makes more power than I have with it or I actually see flow numbers, I'm probably staying with this stupid stock box or an airraid with a lid.

Sorry for the rant, but I haven't bought an intake because none of them seem to do what I want them to.  I want a filter that keeps the engine heat out of the intake air (unlike an airraid) and have a large filter media that will out flow my turbo's (maybe unlike the MDesign...can't get data). This girl isn't done at 418hp.... shes getting ATP's(not this spring like I was planning) and I need a intake with them in mind.

Again no disrespect to the MDesign intake, just need real controlled and logged testing showing its capability.

John
2014 SHO -PP, Unleashed Tuned, 3bar, Devils Own 100% meth, PPE catted down pipes, 3rd cat delete, Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, 170 deg, NGK 7's plugs, hot pipes - White Platinum 401a
418 whp - 513 wlb/ft
non meth 13.11@103.6 (knock limited)
Meth pass 11.991@114.28

SHOnUup

You sort of touched on one of my concerns with its small size. I wonder how fast it will dirty also, being that the air(and whatever else)directly enters and hits the filter immediately.

Still the best aftermarket CAI for us yet.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

bigmoneycloser

Fair enough..
I will continue to update as I break it in..
Enjoy your ride..

2014 Explorer Sport 401A
22x10.5 Vossen CVT- powder coated Matte Graphite
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico 285/35/22
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

91hybrid

All fixed.... Shitty work done by me was the root cause to my miss fires at low rpm.  Found that the plug gaps as follows:

When I put these in, I used a feeler gauge thinking that it would be a more accurate way to measure the gap....apparently I got better at it after the first two. lol

This time I used a tried and true plug gap gauge, and they are 0.028".

Pulls nice and smooth now no funny business.
2014 SHO -PP, Unleashed Tuned, 3bar, Devils Own 100% meth, PPE catted down pipes, 3rd cat delete, Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, 170 deg, NGK 7's plugs, hot pipes - White Platinum 401a
418 whp - 513 wlb/ft
Meth pass 11.991@114.28

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

bigmoneycloser

Quote from: 91hybrid on November 29, 2014, 06:05:57 PM
Quote from: bigmoneycloser on November 29, 2014, 10:22:54 AM
You should try the new MDesign intake...

Nothing against MDesign's intake, I think it is super sweet looking and will do a GREAT job controlling intake temperatures (which I think was the way it made 15 more hp, lower intake temp=more timing... No data logging to know), but I don't think that it is the intake for me.  The reason for that is; the filters. I know NOTHING about flow ceiling of the filter itself.  I have talked with MDesign requesting flow data on the filter, but all I get is... "its flows great, made 15 hp more than an airraid so it will not be a restriction".  I personally don't think that the MDesign will EVER flow more than a Airraid as the "filter" in an airraid flows 1300 cfm (enough to easily support 600 crank hp) and the MDesign housing is so small it will never hold a big enough filter to flow those kind of numbers (especially once dirty).  No one can tell me what the actual flow numbers on the filter are so untill someone has one and makes more power than I have with it or I actually see flow numbers, I'm probably staying with this stupid stock box or an airraid with a lid.

Sorry for the rant, but I haven't bought an intake because none of them seem to do what I want them to.  I want a filter that keeps the engine heat out of the intake air (unlike an airraid) and have a large filter media that will out flow my turbo's (maybe unlike the MDesign...can't get data). This girl isn't done at 418hp.... shes getting ATP's(not this spring like I was planning) and I need a intake with them in mind.

Again no disrespect to the MDesign intake, just need real controlled and logged testing showing its capability.

John

If I run the torque app will they tell me the flow data your looking for??

2014 Explorer Sport 401A
22x10.5 Vossen CVT- powder coated Matte Graphite
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico 285/35/22
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

91hybrid

Quote from: bigmoneycloser on November 30, 2014, 05:01:49 PM

If I run the torque app will they tell me the flow data your looking for??

[/quote]

Unfortunately no. The flow capability can really only be measured on a flow bench, or on a Max hp engine measuring the presence of pressure (negative pressure) post filter per turbo / throttle body and knowing the hp that engine produces.

At 418 whp my car consumes about 730 cfm of air. 500whp will require around 920 cfm. Just to give ya an idea of the figures I'm talking about.

John
418 whp - 513 wlb/ft
Meth pass 11.991@114.28

Stuntz

Alright 91hybrid,  race season is upon us. How's everything looking?
2013 SHO PP
Unleashed Tuned, Airaid, 3 bar, 170 t-stat, H&R Springs

91hybrid

TERRIBLE!!! My local track is in a major legal battle with potential city ownership and right to vote. Basically I'm not sure it will even open this year at this point.

Cars running well though. 👍🏼
418 whp - 513 wlb/ft
Meth pass 11.991@114.28

Stuntz

Oh that sucks!  I hope you are able to get to a track. I want to see you in the 11s.
2013 SHO PP
Unleashed Tuned, Airaid, 3 bar, 170 t-stat, H&R Springs

91hybrid

418 whp - 513 wlb/ft
Meth pass 11.991@114.28

PokerMunkee

No kidding, need more SHO's in the 11's!!

Did Torrie do a remote tune while on the dyno?  Or have all his changes been done from data logging on the street?
2013 SHO PP - Ignot Silver/Charcoal
Unleashed 91 tune w/ 3BAR, Corsa exhaust, LEDs everywhere
2011 F-250 6.2 CCSB FX4

91hybrid

Data logging only. I just put her on the dnyo to see what she'd put down.
418 whp - 513 wlb/ft
Meth pass 11.991@114.28

Gray Brick

2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex
AJP Tune (ATP+2) in progress , Livernois HPFP, 3 Bar MAP, UPR Catch Can, 100% Methanol w/ braided steel lines, 3" Downpipes -->2.5" X-pipe --> 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, 2.5" air inlets to each turbo with cone filter, Custom water to air intercooler with chiller
275/40-20 Front 315/35-20 Rear Tires
---12.419ET/112.43MPH @ 5150 lbs in the 1/4---