• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Two questions about spark plugs and fuel economy.

Started by sunwolf, October 18, 2014, 08:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunwolf

So I ran my SHO with LMS 93 tune only for awhile then switched to 3bar 160tstat tune and saw a decrease in fuel economy by about 2 mpg. I thought it was just because it made it a little faster and I was pushing it a little harder but when I put the car back to stock to take it to the dealer I ran the rest of the day tune only and my mileage got better while I was still driving it hard. Are we expected to have a decrease in mileage with tstat and 3 bar? Does LMS do data logging like unleashed where we send in some data and get an updated tune?
Next question is about spark plugs. Can I buy the same plugs LMS sells at a local shop and do I need a new tune for them? Are stock plugs on a 14' just as good (I heard 13+ switched to .030 gap but I'm not sure)?
2014 Taurus SHO Black Performance Pack LMS tune 3bar tstat downpipes
2008 BMW M6 Convertible SMG
2008 F-150 XLT 4x4 5.4L
2011 F-150 Ecoboost Crew Cab 4x4
2012 Lincoln Navigator L 4x4

SHOnUup

Livernois plugs I got were Motorcraft sp534 pre gapped.

I also lost a couple mpg's with 3bar. I think it's because you get the turbos working at a lower rpm, thus sucking more gas. Their "tweaked tune" would be going back to one of their many non 3bar tunes. As I talked to them at CAD, the 4× tune came from extensive dyno pulls on Dave's car and it's a tamed down version of his a**ripper tune. They have a bunch of tunes on file to choose from as I was told. They push these updated tunes as they feel they are the best all around for speed and longevity.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

navbtcret

Quote from: sunwolf on October 18, 2014, 08:44:15 AM
So I ran my SHO with LMS 93 tune only for awhile then switched to 3bar 160tstat tune and saw a decrease in fuel economy by about 2 mpg. I thought it was just because it made it a little faster and I was pushing it a little harder but when I put the car back to stock to take it to the dealer I ran the rest of the day tune only and my mileage got better while I was still driving it hard. Are we expected to have a decrease in mileage with tstat and 3 bar? Does LMS do data logging like unleashed where we send in some data and get an updated tune?
Next question is about spark plugs. Can I buy the same plugs LMS sells at a local shop and do I need a new tune for them? Are stock plugs on a 14' just as good (I heard 13+ switched to .030 gap but I'm not sure)?

How long ago did you switch tunes? If it was recently you will see a decrease because of the winter blend gas at the pump. My fuel mileage stayed about the same going from the 2 bar tune to the 3 bar tune.

I would pull the plugs to check and set the gaps. They are probably around .035 from the factory, at least that is where mine were on my 2013.
2013 SHO Non PP, LMS 93 Performance v8, 3 Bar MAP, 170 Stat, MDesign CAI, Hot Pipes with TiAL BOV, PPE Catted Downpipes

Brucelinc

I interesting that you guys saw worse mileage with the 3 bar tunes.  If anything, my mileage actually increased slightly after installing the 4X/3 bar tune.

It is possible that the reason my mileage didn't drop is just because most of my driving is highway rather than city.   When I really push mine, I definitely see more boost at lower RPM and that would, of course, use more fuel.  However, under part throttle cruise conditions, where no boost is being used, the changes in ignition timing likely improve mileage.  As we all know, mileage will vary based on your driving habits. 

SHOdded

Strange.  You should be able to maintain or improve the mpg with the 3bar tune.  The fans do run a lot more with the cooler tstats, that could possibly cause a minor drop.

Shouldn't need to get new plugs just yet, unless you are already at 25-30K miles.  The spark plug gap on the specified SP534s in the OM for 2014 is still 0.033-0.037.  Would have to check new plugs to see what their gap actually is.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOnUup

^^^3bar does induce more use of the happy pedal:P

Winter blend is a valid point also. Any extended warm up time in the cooler temps too.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.