• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Boost limit and torque control

Started by AJP turbo, September 17, 2014, 01:57:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJP turbo

Not sure if this is the appropriate section but...

I have a 2014 SHO PP. GDM1 ECU code. Tuning with SCT PRP. I have the 3 bar MAP sensor and Air Raid CAI and Catless DP's are my only mods.

I can only get up to just barely over 15psi and right about 200-210kpa when I log. I was really hoping for about 17-18psi and I'd be happy but it's not happening. I'm not quite out of fuel and knock counts are fine.

Actual throttle is being cut down to about 35 when I log and I have no idea why. I've adjusted torque settings and torque truncation and commanded torque in SCT PRP. I'm wondering if there is a hard boost limit or torque limit that SCT doesn't have tables for or maybe it's a hard limit in the ECU like the old cobra's that had an airflow limit.

Is anyone running higher than 15 psi? Especially in a 2014? I know there are major changes in the processors after 13' when compared to the older SHO's
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

crash712us

Not unless they are meth injected. 15psi is about the max you'll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

SHOnUup

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

wasinger3000

13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

Wilson

When I had my Unleashed tune, I saw spikes of 17 all day
2013 SHO (non-PP) Ruby Red Tintcoat
Leading Edge Tuning 93 Tune | 3 Bar MAP | 170* Thermostat | Airaid Intake | PPE 2.5" Downpipes | Snow Stage 2 Meth Kit | H&R Lowering Springs | 22" Falken RT-7M wheels | 265/35/22 Falken Ziex TZ05 tires

AJP turbo

I'm not talking about boost spikes a lot of people seem to think it's a limitation of the turbos but its not . it is an imposed boost and/or torque limit by the ECU.most people do not data log to actually see what's going on. Their  tuner tells them they are at the limit when in reality they just don't know how to get around the boost and torque limits applied by the ECU

Also When I had the 2 bar map sensor in there I would see 206 kpa which is right at 15 psi. So I can't really understand why all these people put in the 3 bar sensor and still only run 15psi. I understand the need to have the ability to see past 15psi incase of boost spikes for proper fueling but the ECU can handle that anyway via STFT's. so there is some headway there anyway.

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

AJP turbo

Quote from: crash712us on September 17, 2014, 08:26:37 AM
Not unless they are meth injected. 15psi is about the max you'll see.

What does Meth have to do with it? I understand meth can make higher boost levels more efficient and even safer for a given fuel if you've reached a point where the fuel can no longer resist self igniting due to high boost and or high compression but it has nothing do do with how high the turbo can spin up to.

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

BiGMaC

Turn off the grannies.... That should answer your question.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SHOdded

Efficiency and longevity are the OEM concerns, so they program the ECU and choose the hardware that way.  Info on the turbos (assuming they are the same in 2014).  More on this turbo here.  Turbo tech (if you need it) here.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

wasinger3000

Quote from: SHOdded on September 18, 2014, 03:11:53 AM
Efficiency and longevity are the OEM concerns, so they program the ECU and choose the hardware that way.  Info on the turbos (assuming they are the same in 2014).  More on this turbo here.  Turbo tech (if you need it) here.
How come they list the turbo as oil cooled? I know it's oil lubricated but also has coolant flowing through it.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

glock-coma

Found this

The EcoBoost twin turbos are water cooled. Water cooling the bearings solved the problem. During normal operation, engine coolant is cycled through the center bearing. When the engine shuts off and the water pump stops, the coolant flow reverses and the EcoBoost uses thermal siphoning for water cooling. Coolant near the extremely hot bearing picks up heat, boils and flows away from the bearing water jacket. This pulls fresh, cooler coolant into the bearing water jacket, which picks up heat and cools the bearings. This cooling process continues silently until lower temperatures are reached, providing key-off protection for the turbo bearings.

To test this thermal siphoning process, Ford ran the EcoBoost engine at Wide Open Throttle and maximum boost for 10 minutes. Then the engine and all the cooling was abruptly shut down. The turbos were allowed to "bake" after this high-speed operation. This is exactly the conditions that would "coke" a center turbo bearing from the 1980s. They repeated the test 1,500 times without an oil change. A teardown of the turbo and inspection of the bearings validated the method of water cooling the turbo bearings.

2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

IHeartGroceries

I like that article is juiced up a tad to make it sound like Ford was the first to implement thermal siphoning water cooling. It's been used for many years!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP

91hybrid

Right now I spike at 236 kpa with the up shift to third and I am gradually dropping from there to 198kpa at 5750 rpm. This is on my '14.

It did that before the meth too.
2014 SHO -PP, Unleashed Tuned, 3bar, Devils Own 100% meth, PPE catted down pipes, 3rd cat delete, Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, 170 deg, NGK 7's plugs, hot pipes - White Platinum 401a
418 whp - 513 wlb/ft
non meth 13.11@103.6 (knock limited)
Meth pass 11.991@114.28

glock-coma

Quote from: 91hybrid on September 18, 2014, 09:05:40 PM
Right now I spike at 236 kpa with the up shift to third and I am gradually dropping from there to 198kpa at 5750 rpm. This is on my '14.

It did that before the meth too.
Waaaaa? 236 kpa  is like 34 psi 
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

91hybrid

That's manifold pressure... so to get boost, 236-100=136/6.80= 20psi...198=14.4psi sorry.

I have seen singular spikes as hi as 23+ psi which makes the rail pressure drop pretty quick. lol

John
2014 SHO -PP, Unleashed Tuned, 3bar, Devils Own 100% meth, PPE catted down pipes, 3rd cat delete, Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, 170 deg, NGK 7's plugs, hot pipes - White Platinum 401a
418 whp - 513 wlb/ft
non meth 13.11@103.6 (knock limited)
Meth pass 11.991@114.28