• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Looking to switch to unleashed

Started by brandont, August 25, 2014, 06:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: IHeartGroceries on August 26, 2014, 09:01:15 PM
It isn't that LMS fundamentally disagrees with E tuning. They tune for E on Mustangs don't they?

The reasoning they've used here time and time again is fueling limitations on the 3.5 EB platform. Now that there's clear evidence that the 13+ fueling system supports E30 and perhaps beyond, I really don't understand what the deal is...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
So.....its enough to fuel BPD' s 700 HP built motor but not some corn?

Livernois Motorsports

BPD's fueling system is supplemented with Methanol.  And, although he is showing large boost numbers, that is only part of his tunes' equation.  We certainly could tune for Ethanol but choose not to on the Ecoboost.  We have already explained why.  Fueling volume requirements and varying ethanol qualities play a big part in the overall decision.  We also have doubts on how accurate any data logging is.  Nobody has dyno or track tested the Ecoboost as thoroughly as Livernois has.  The results of that testing, as we have said before are proven by countless dyno and track run documentations.  We feel very comfortable with our tunes and our wish is that those that use them will feel comfortable as well as appreciate the gains they produce.  This is our view on tuning matters discussed.

ZSHO

A little bit off topic here,i know LMS always recomended using BP gasoline for our EB vehicles,lately started using BP and noticed the car running a little bit smoother and more efficient,thank you LMS for the top notch service and tunes.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

My Edge has the BP preferred logo on the fuel cap (don't know if OEM tho).  Exxon works best for it tho, power & mpg wise.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOnUup

Quote from: ZSHO on August 27, 2014, 10:40:14 AM
A little bit off topic here,i know LMS always recomended using BP gasoline for our EB vehicles,lately started using BP and noticed the car running a little bit smoother and more efficient,thank you LMS for the top notch service and tunes.
BP is the standard it seems...each one I've stopped at had no problem telling me how much they refill tanks and which days.
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: Livernois Motorsports on August 26, 2014, 11:25:10 PM
BPD's fueling system is supplemented with Methanol.  And, although he is showing large boost numbers, that is only part of his tunes' equation.  We certainly could tune for Ethanol but choose not to on the Ecoboost.  We have already explained why.  Fueling volume requirements and varying ethanol qualities play a big part in the overall decision.  We also have doubts on how accurate any data logging is.  Nobody has dyno or track tested the Ecoboost as thoroughly as Livernois has.  The results of that testing, as we have said before are proven by countless dyno and track run documentations.  We feel very comfortable with our tunes and our wish is that those that use them will feel comfortable as well as appreciate the gains they produce.  This is our view on tuning matters discussed.
What do you use to data log that is different that what SCT uses to data log, since you have both systems and use both systems have you done a side by side comparison, same car, same dyno and can you share how the data was different?
Also are you sure you have the most dyno/track testing? I would hazard that Torrie is equal or has dyno'd more cars and worked with more data logs and I'll explain why:
You will only deal with one customer at a time on your dyno  at your shop (mixed in with all the other vehicles you support) vs Torrie will work with multiple people simultaneously each week to do either data log reviews from dynos or live remote data logging. Also unless you've changed I don't believe your own device can do data logs at the track that the customer can do and then send to you vs Torrie works constantly with many people to do data log revisions based off of track logs.
Making these statements are great for marketing but I would hazard not necessarily correct. On the F150 platform I know Erick@LET works almost all day every day reviewing logs, doing tune updates, making revisions and responding to road, track and dyno logs. The other people who tune are constantly reviewing their tunes and working to update them daily and learn daily on this specific platform and as a result are making revision iterations much faster than you guys do.
You make a great "base" tune (since you don't like canned) for many people that is safe based off of your assessment that X tune will work across many different climates, fuel blends etc. The other tuners start with that then work with the customers to modify the tune based off of data logging and review then update accordingly based off of how the car reacts to local conditions and fuel, heck even how the vehicle was built.

More to the base tune point - you make a 91 octane tune but do you make a 91 octane AZ tune and 91 octane CA tune? We have different qualities of gas, some of our stations carry CA gas and we ping mercilessly but if we use local 91 octane gas (local Circle K not associated with Shell) you can run more timing without pinging. I'm sure East coast 91 octane is like gold compared to ours.  Since you don't do specific customer data log tune revisions and don't do state based fuel tunes then you have to make a 91 octane tune that works for the worst of fuel instead of sending a tune, getting feedback from the customer on how the tune is working on their vehicle with that fuel and then making +/- adjustments to timing to accommodate accordingly.
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

ShoBoat

Can't knock the logic with your questions Mike. I too am curious, I don't have any issues with my tune at this time but I wonder if there is more to be had. The question that burns for me is why isn't the X4 capable of data logging with accuracy in the 13+ SHO. I have used it on other cars and it seemed to work well. As long as you don't use too many PIDs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: ShoBoat on August 27, 2014, 12:07:25 PM
Can't knock the logic with your questions Mike. I too am curious, I don't have any issues with my tune at this time but I wonder if there is more to be had. The question that burns for me is why isn't the X4 capable of data logging with accuracy in the 13+ SHO. I have used it on other cars and it seemed to work well. As long as you don't use too many PIDs.

It's not a matter of the tuner, it's a matter of the interface to the CAN bus and the amount of data it can give a once, aka 56k modem vs 1mb - only so much data can come down at once. :)
www.ecopowerparts.com -
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.

ShoBoat

^^ right, so is there an issue with the interface on the 13+ cars with the X4?

2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: ShoBoat on August 27, 2014, 12:11:50 PM

No...all of the consumer grade loggers take advantage of the 500k baud connection.

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: ShoBoat on August 27, 2014, 12:11:50 PM

That I can't answer, I haven't compared an X4 (never bought one yet) vs TSX (which was not good) vs X3 (works great)

As much as I bust LMS chops I bust SCT's chops as well for their issues and some of the things they do and how they can make it WAY better.
I'm an equal opportunity stats checker/functionality fussy guy, if you post up data and it's not backed up with actual tests, numbers, capabilities I start asking questions, I don't just take statements as valid especially things involving numbers.

I'm still hoping that Cobb comes to the table sometime, they would make HUGE improvements on the tuning platform and tuning capabilities.
A friend tuned the same car with SCT and Cobb (4 cyl ecoboost) and within 10 minutes he was able to get way more out of the car safely due to the Cobb software interface and how it instructed him on what limiters he was hitting instead of just guessing with SCT.
www.ecopowerparts.com -

FoMoCoSHO

But there are still other issues, hardware speed, efficiency of the code, etc....Compare Torque to Dash Command and you will see a huge difference.

Livernois Motorsports

Quote from: 4DRHTRD on August 27, 2014, 11:18:04 AM
Quote from: Livernois Motorsports on August 26, 2014, 11:25:10 PM
What do you use to data log that is different that what SCT uses to data log, since you have both systems and use both systems have you done a side by side comparison, same car, same dyno and can you share how the data was different?
Also are you sure you have the most dyno/track testing? I would hazard that Torrie is equal or has dyno'd more cars and worked with more data logs and I'll explain why:
You will only deal with one customer at a time on your dyno  at your shop (mixed in with all the other vehicles you support) vs Torrie will work with multiple people simultaneously each week to do either data log reviews from dynos or live remote data logging. Also unless you've changed I don't believe your own device can do data logs at the track that the customer can do and then send to you vs Torrie works constantly with many people to do data log revisions based off of track logs.
Making these statements are great for marketing but I would hazard not necessarily correct. On the F150 platform I know Erick@LET works almost all day every day reviewing logs, doing tune updates, making revisions and responding to road, track and dyno logs. The other people who tune are constantly reviewing their tunes and working to update them daily and learn daily on this specific platform and as a result are making revision iterations much faster than you guys do.
You make a great "base" tune (since you don't like canned) for many people that is safe based off of your assessment that X tune will work across many different climates, fuel blends etc. The other tuners start with that then work with the customers to modify the tune based off of data logging and review then update accordingly based off of how the car reacts to local conditions and fuel, heck even how the vehicle was built.

More to the base tune point - you make a 91 octane tune but do you make a 91 octane AZ tune and 91 octane CA tune? We have different qualities of gas, some of our stations carry CA gas and we ping mercilessly but if we use local 91 octane gas (local Circle K not associated with Shell) you can run more timing without pinging. I'm sure East coast 91 octane is like gold compared to ours.  Since you don't do specific customer data log tune revisions and don't do state based fuel tunes then you have to make a 91 octane tune that works for the worst of fuel instead of sending a tune, getting feedback from the customer on how the tune is working on their vehicle with that fuel and then making +/- adjustments to timing to accommodate accordingly.

We are using OEM grade hardware to ensure proper logging. We do not use a PID that then has an equation, to then give a improper value like so many other logging devices. This can result in seeing the wrong values which we have seen happen time and time again. I am not certain why you keep asking the same questions over and over again on this. We offered to fly you here to see what we do, we have offered others that are non-believers to fly you here to see what we do, and whenever we offer, the excuses start flowing. It's very disappointing that you would rather continue to spout incorrect information with no hard data while saying we do the same. The difference is we have offered to show people, while you just bash us rather than caring about the community by having an open mind on things.

Now, addressing the facts. 91 octane from various regions of course varies slightly, but dear lord, if you have your tune so much on asswhooper that you are having to adjust it because you went to a different station that is part of the problem that shows lack of wisdom in tuning. These are peoples cars, their 40k+ investment, why would anyone want to have to load a different tune everytime they decided to fill up somewhere else than normal, or go out of town?

But, we actually do testing on fuels. I think many times people forget where we are. We are in Dearborn Heights, right next to Dearborn. We have access to likely the most automotive testing resources in the entire country, this includes fuel depots that have fuel of different blends specifically just for testing.

Back again on datalogging, these loggers people are using have been proven to be incorrect. A great example is a/f ratio. People continue to request a/f ratio to tune these, and many other cars, but the computer doesn't speak in A/F, so an outside company takes a generic PID (which is broadcast much slower than the way we log) and converts it to a/f. But how is this done? You can't calculate A/F without knowing at the bare minimum the stoichiometric A/F of the fuel you're running. What if it's 14.64, 14.58, 14.53, 14.08, 13.71, etc? The A/F calculation changes based on this, as would the tuning associated with it. This flawed system of datalogging is why it takes so many attempts back and forth to get it better, but also why you never see that need with us. We know enough about these cars that we don't need logs. And in the rare occasion we are stumped, we load the tune into one of 11 different ecoboost vehicles at our disposal and recreate it.

Another glaring issue with logging is you are asking customers to go out, and run their car hard with a potential issue. It takes just one WOT run with the tune wrong to blow it up. I also don't know how anyone can ask someone to go run these cars in 4th gear on public roads to gather accurate info. Doing a WOT run in 1st and 2nd does not load these cars properly, so not having an log at low load is rather meaningless. I don't know who here wants to sign up to run from 80-140 repeatedly to get important information. And on top of that, by doing so you are watching info, while not knowing if it's right or wrong, so if it's wrong it's very easily going to be too late, the damage will be done, all so someone can get a log that now is worthless since the car is damaged. Again, just another reason why we use our cars to do this.

When tuned with the right logic, and knowledge behind it, the tune is right from the word go. You don't see Ford going around tuning the car differently for various regions, brands of fuel, or anything like that.

You have also accused us in the past of copying others, which is unfortunate. Let me just spell out some facts about us, our tuning, our products, and the results from it.

in 2009, before anyone had software, we were tuning the SHO and MKS.

In 2011 we were tuning the f150 Eco before other companies could even flash it. We were the first again

in 2012 we were tuning the 2013 SHO while other software wasn't out for 6-8 months later

in 2012 we were tuning the Explorer Sport, almost a full year and a half before anyone else.

first to tune the 2.0 fusion

first to tune the 1.5 fusion

first to tune the 1.6 fusion

first to tune the 2.0 escape

first to tune the 1.6 escape

first tune only 12 second SHO

first 11 second SHO

first 12 second F150

First 12 second Explorer Sport

First with upgraded turbos

First with Downpipes

First with Methanol kits

First to offer 3-bar tuning

First 600whp EcoBoost Dyno captured on video

Highest HP EcoBoost Engine on the planet

I am sure there are more things, like exhausts we have helped create, and other items, but this post is plenty long enough.

We spend a great deal of time and resources making certain what we have is the best out there, and the easiest, most reliable offering. We would love to be able to charge our customers, and then make them do the work for us, but it's not how we operate.

Just take a minute to look at the fast list, read it over, and see where our tuned cars are at. I guess it's hard to argue with results.

ShoBoat

^^ makes sense to me. Thanks for the reply and answering my questions.

navbtcret

2013 SHO Non PP, LMS 93 Performance v8, 3 Bar MAP, 170 Stat, MDesign CAI, Hot Pipes with TiAL BOV, PPE Catted Downpipes