• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

At my wit's end - I need a mechanic

Started by Fronzizzle, August 09, 2014, 09:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fronzizzle

I don't want to bore all of you with too many details, but the bottom line is this: I need to find a good mechanic in the metro Detroit area that can help me straighten out my 1985 IROC.

For those of you interested:  It is a 1985 Camaro IROC-Z with a 383 stroker, Holley Stealth Ram FI setup and the computer system/MAP system out of a 1990 Camaro.  I've had nothing but issues with it since I installed it two years ago.  First, the timing chain was off a tooth; then the rockers weren't adjusted (or tightened) properly and came loose/fell off.

I've spent the better part of the last two years trying to get it to run correctly. I go through stretches where it seems to run good (though never when cold) but never quite as good as I think a 400 HP engine should.  I drove it two weeks ago, it was fine.  Parked it in my garage, then went and started it today and drove it about 50 miles - I noticed that the exhaust seems loud (like a managed to develop a leak), and the power is lacking.  I'm wondering if a rocker fell off again or something?  Not sure how that happens with the car just sitting there, but considering the issues I've had I'm not ruling anything out.  At this point, I'm just hopeful I can find a reputable, local mechanic that has some experience with SBC's that can go through it and figure out what the heck is going on.