• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Sealing Airaid Intake (Take 2) Comparison Modded K&N vs Stock VS Modded Airaid

Started by ShoBoat, August 09, 2014, 05:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShoBoat

For those of you that know I have been in the process of trying out a few different intakes. With the mindset than the closer you can get to ambient temp the better. For every 10F cooler you potentially gain 1/10 of a second in the 1/4 mile.

I started out with the K&N Typhoon with terrible results. IATs were consistently much higher than ambient. I messed around with it off and on for about a year. Here are the results from that.

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=3238

Summary, its a paper weight. Heat soak is terrible, and it draws in hot air like nobody's business. Up side is sounded kinda cool.

I started down the road of the Airaid after seeing some promising results from this discussion.

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,3250.0/topicseen.html

The sealed top looked cool and was derived from some of the other higher end intakes available on the market. So I went out and bought one.

"After much trial and error I decided that I am done with the K&N typhoon. I loved the sound but it hurt performance so out it came. I got a really good deal on a new Airaid intake. With some of the positive results on here I decided why not. I installed the intake and excited I took it for a drive. I was immediately disappointed, IATs were even higher than the K&N? WTF?? And even worse was that when you got on the throttle IAT went even higher? Again WTF?? So pull the car back into the garage and wanting to take a hammer to the intake I decided to check the seal to the hood with some chalk. Wow it barely touched in 3 locations with major gaps in between. Ok that is a real problem. I had some weather so stripping left over from another project and I did this."

IMG_1357 by sho.boat, on Flickr

It did work, but wasn't long term.

So now I know what I had to do. And on with the how to.

The first thing you should get is some of this weather stripping.

stripping1 by sho.boat, on Flickr

If you call Airaid they will sell you some (or maybe even give it to you).

Next you will need some of this.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/indoor-expanding-foam-tape-1-4-inch-x-1-inch-x-13-feet/968644

It acts like memory foam, and seems to be the best at conforming to the contours of the hood.

If you want to do the cool box option you will need this, and some aluminum foil tape.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/reflectix-duct-wrap-12x25/902353

Reflectix comes in all shapes and sizes.

Tear off the OE blade style stripping.
If you are just doing the sealing then proceed to step 2.

Step 1. Carefully cut the reflectix to fit the inside of the of the box. I found that cutting it for the shape of each panel and then sealing with the aluminum tape worked best. I got the idea for this mod from Cold air industries. They line their enclosures with a similar material.

Step 2. Measure and cut the new rubber stripping. You want to ensure that it follows the contours of the intake lip all the way around. If you keep going with it on the right side it will also fill in the small gap between the intake and the fender/rad support. Next the foam stripping. This may take a bit of trial and error on your part depending on how your hood fits. What you want to wind up with is a pattern that looks like this. A bit of chalk rubbed on the stripping will give you this impression.

hood seal1 by sho.boat, on Flickr

Finished it will look like this.

Prototype by sho.boat, on Flickr

Results of the mod. The Reflectix was completed after the track runs. This was in an attempt to help with heat soak recovery. On a quick drive today it seemed to help a lot. Temp went from soak 47C (116F) to 27C (80.6F) in about 3 min, ambient today is 26C. Or from my driveway to the main road. It also did not climb nearly as quickly as a stand still. Went from 28 to only 31 in a drive through line for about 10min.     

DA was 1750. Not the best but just perfect for what I needed to do. So up till now the stock box was the best option for our cars. Well it is no more! Ran 3 runs with the Stock box and 4 with the modded Airaid. I made another improvement on the Airaid, but more on that later. Runs with the Stock box all 12.95 or Slower. Runs with the Modded Airaid, wait for it..... 12.70 to 12.83 baby! a good 2 tenths faster. for comparisons sake I took the 2 times with similar 60 foot times to prove the point.

Stock Airbox

60' 1.882
330 5.396
1/8 8.339
MPH 84.20
1000 10.860
1/4 12.990
MPH 107.62

Modded Airaid

60' 1.873
330 5.327
1/8 8.221
MPH 85.37
1000 10.732
1/4 12.803
MPH 110.48

And a personal best tonight of 12.703 @ 111 mph. with a 60 of 1.8 flat. At 0 or better DA it should go into the 12.5 with this setup.

With the butt dyno I was expecting it to be quicker, but not 2 tenths quicker. Data logging confirmed that the Airaid was able to recover quicker and had a lower IAT throughout the runs (almost ambient after 3 seconds). I also assume that there was less resistance and the cooler IAT resulted in boost being slightly lower with the Airaid then the stock box.
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

ecoboostsho

Great writeup! Thanks for all your work.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

panther427

Quote from: BBOX on August 09, 2014, 05:47:45 PM
Goddammit you people are making it impossible to hold on to the K&N.

No it is easy to hold onto..  good luck selling it..  thought with some sheet metal and time you could make your own box and ceramic coat ect ect... 

Good job this is starting too look good.
2013 SHO

BiGMaC

Great right-up... and excellent work.  Way To Go!  :thumb: Finally an alternative to stock that increases performance!  A trend setter I bet.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SHOnUup

Great read! All that effort pulled a new personal best too! X2 on the trend setting.
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

ShoBoat

2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

ShoBoat

I was just thinking, if I picked up 2 tenths. That would push Steve into the 11's. I know for a fact that he is running the Airaid.

SHOnUup

Quote from: ShoBoat on August 09, 2014, 08:42:48 PM
I was just thinking, if I picked up 2 tenths. That would push Steve into the 11's. I know for a fact that he is running the Airaid.
These kind of statements remind of 15 years ago when I first found out about the "SHO Love". In 1999 I purchased a used 1994 SHO and it seemed like everyone was looking to help each other out in making their SHO the best it could be. Even if it was gonna further push them past your present setup, look, or power. Wasn't such a contest and was more about the community as a whole.

Great thought for the community sir! Getting more SHO'S in the 11's would have to spark some more interest.
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

FoMoCoSHO

Fantastic work Shoboat!

Now all Airaid needs to do is step up and fix their errors.....then I might consider purchasing one. 

For all you guys lamenting your wasted typhoon $'s, at least it makes for some cool garage art......

FracaSHO

Brad
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO w/ PP

ShoBoat

jayskycj

Wow impressive. Pretty cool write up. Glad you did a how to.  Looks like I will be shelving the typhoon, as sweet as she sounds.

Possible stupid question, with the legit CAI, can we feel a little better running 4x 3 bar tunes due to the cooler intake temps? I'm already using the tstat and properly gapped plugs.
2010 LMS Mycal 4X3Bar with K&N typhoon, 170 tstat, 534 plugs gapped .030, PPE Downpipes, magnaflow X Pipe and stock mufflers. Eibach Springs and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3.

ShoBoat

Quote from: jayskycj on August 09, 2014, 11:51:17 PM
Wow impressive. Pretty cool write up. Glad you did a how to.  Looks like I will be shelving the typhoon, as sweet as she sounds.

Possible stupid question, with the legit CAI, can we feel a little better running 4x 3 bar tunes due to the cooler intake temps? I'm already using the tstat and properly gapped plugs.

It can't hurt that's for sure. I did notice after digging into the logs a bit more during the modded Airaid runs you can clearly see that the CAC & IAT2 temp drops a lot faster and deeper before they start to climb again from the heat of the turbos. This further supports  to the fact that initial intake temp and restriction is critical to get the best performance. During all of the runs with the exception if one (I had a really long wait to run) I had 0 KR. With the stock box I had between 1 to 2 degrees of KR for the first few seconds.

SHOdded

Next step:  ceramic coat the turbochargers!
http://www.zircotec.com/page/turbochargers/138

Though you might need to update the cooling, maybe even seals and wheels.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ShoBoat

I wanted to throw this out there. The claim that a good CAI adds about 15hp seems to be accurate. At least in this case with the mod. Here is a calculator based on my results.