• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

To Seafoam or not to Seafoam

Started by 19kFX4, August 04, 2014, 09:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19kFX4

Getting different answers from different forums.  I"ve used it in the past but never on a DI engine and turbos i understand carbon can come off and burn up your turbo or cat. well if it messes the stock muffler up then oh well time to get aftermarket.  I've always used it in the past oh other vehicles. i've just turned 40k on my 11 FX4 Ecoboost.  i've used gas treatments with about every fill up, use 89 or 93 at the pump and try to use non-ethanol when i can, if not i use an additive like Star-Tron.  So to Seafoam the topend or not help a guy out

ford4thot

I'm not going to. I have a 2011 also. I might try my hand at hand cleaning someday tho

ecoboostsho

I used both that and the 3 m treatment. Lost a turbo 20 k later...probably a coincidence but I am not sure I will be doing it again...that said DI engines get pretty dirty.  Wish Ford had a better option then pulling the heads. LOL
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

ShoBoat

BG did regular cleaning on their SHO with no apparent ill effects.
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

SHOdded

Quote from: ShoBoat on August 05, 2014, 08:40:45 AM
BG did regular cleaning on their SHO with no apparent ill effects.
I would like to see results from a number of SHOs to confirm.  Though due to the "rarity" of the SHO, may be difficult to achieve.  Easier to get oil analysis data :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

n8rfastback

I ran seafoam in my gas last month and I noticed an immediate difference in power after that tank of gas... I have over 80k on mine and I know it's never had anything ran through it.
2010 SHO

wasinger3000

I've done the seafoam treatment several times now. In fact my car is sitting with deep creep soaking on the Valves and pistons as I type this.  I've seen good results. I don't have that much carbon at 20k but that's why I'm doing it. To keep the build up down. I'd hate to see what the valves look like at 80k with no service.

13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

vernonator

I too did seafoam about 10k back (was at 30k) I did a dilute treatment - 1/2 can @ for two fills. I too noticed an increase in power and throttle response. I have a 3M kit in the garage that I keep meaning to get to - hopefully in the next week or two.
2012 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP. Livernois Stage 4+, PPE Catless DP's, EBC Stage 4 Front/Rear Brakes
2015 Tuxedo Black Explorer Sport 401A, no mods....YET :)

J-Will

In the fuel and crankcase are not a concern on mine. I have yet to do it on my car with only 2400 miles there is no need.

Where seafoam excels is through a vacuum line, mostly brake booster. This is where my hesitation comes into play.
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

kinder

Vacuum line is where it is best used IMO. Many turbo owners I know (me included and I know me very well) used it and similar products with no problems. Just be careful not to let it suck in too much liquid at a time.

I hadn't considered it to be used as a preventor though. May have to consider that but with only 21000kms I'm a ways away from that. ;)
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

crash712us

I still don't put a lot of stock in that video. Turbo cars have been around for ages as well has BG. Now with that said cars that are heavily laden with deposits I can so where a chemical induction service could be potentially harmful.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110