• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PTU fluid question

Started by jtoddk98, July 09, 2014, 06:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtoddk98

Hey,

I plan on getting my PTU flushed in the next week or so. My car currently has almost 42k on the clock and the PTU fluid has never been changed. What fluid should I use? Ford Motorcraft, Royal Purple, etc.

Thanks
2011 Taurus SHO Performance Package. EBC Stage 4 Brakes. Blacked out chrome. #130 of 602 in Ingot Silver

SHOdded

Royal Purple seems to be well liked by the community.  I'd go with that if it is available.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

2010SHOtime

Quote from: jtoddk98 on July 09, 2014, 06:03:10 PM
Hey,

I plan on getting my PTU flushed in the next week or so. My car currently has almost 42k on the clock and the PTU fluid has never been changed. What fluid should I use? Ford Motorcraft, Royal Purple, etc.

Thanks

Where are you taking it to get it done?
2010 SHO 402A non PP. Best time 13.113 @ 105.81
Tuned by Torrie @ Unleashed Tuning, sp534 plugs, 170 t-stat, 3 bar sensor.
2013 explorer (wifeys car)
2002 Orange Camaro SS-sold

jtoddk98

Most likely the Ford Dealer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2011 Taurus SHO Performance Package. EBC Stage 4 Brakes. Blacked out chrome. #130 of 602 in Ingot Silver

jtoddk98

Taking it in next week for the white smoke at idle and sometimes the sync voice recognition doesn't work. Will get the PTU done then. When should I do the RDU and transmission? Car has 42k miles on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHOnUup

Just used some royal purple today...depends on how it looks next time I change it, on which one I choose then. Only a year away for comparison...
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

Wild13SHO

I just had my Ford dealer change mine.  I'm assuming they used motorcraft, doesn't specifically say.

They charged me $97 (fluid was $44).  Seemed too cheap but next time I'm there I'll have them do the RDU. 
Current:
2016 F150 2.7L Ecoboost.  Stock for Now
SOLD:
2013 SHO 400A, PP

curry67

Quote from: Wild13SHO on July 19, 2014, 10:23:30 PM
I just had my Ford dealer change mine.  I'm assuming they used motorcraft, doesn't specifically say.

They charged me $97 (fluid was $44).  Seemed too cheap but next time I'm there I'll have them do the RDU.

i always thought it would be like 250-300. i gotta get that done next oil change.

Wild13SHO

I thought it was going to be $300 as well.  The only thing that is making me think they changed the RDU is that the receipt/work order states rear, but they used 75W140.  I'm calling tomorrow to confirm it was the PTU and not the RDU. 
Current:
2016 F150 2.7L Ecoboost.  Stock for Now
SOLD:
2013 SHO 400A, PP

jtoddk98

Just picked up my car from the dealer. Had the trunk struts replaced because they were not holding the trunk up, had them look into the clicking when turning and the smoke at idle. They were not able to replicate so ill just get it on video when it comes back. Lastly, I had them look into doing the PTU flush. As expected, the fluid was nasty, they had never done one at the dealer before and they were really taken back when they saw the crap coming out. They only charged me $69.99 to do it. Car coasts smooth not, even has a bit more pep too, especially in traffic. I'm happy  ;D

SHOdded

Glad to hear it!  Dealers need to get more experience with this job.  Not only for the SHO, but for all the AWD vehicles bearing this PTU design out there.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Brucelinc

It is great to have a dealer that will do it and the 69.95 is a great price.  I couldn't find a dealer in Minneapolis who would even consider it.

I spent about an hour and a half with ramps, jacks, jack stands, laid on my back until my neck was sore, burned my arm, skinned my knuckles, bumped my head a few times, and got dirty as hell.  At least I have the satisfaction of doing it but I would have paid the 69.95 in a heartbeat.  :)

ecoboostsho

Quote from: Brucelinc on July 29, 2014, 09:47:29 PM
It is great to have a dealer that will do it and the 69.95 is a great price.  I couldn't find a dealer in Minneapolis who would even consider it.

I spent about an hour and a half with ramps, jacks, jack stands, laid on my back until my neck was sore, burned my arm, skinned my knuckles, bumped my head a few times, and got dirty as hell.  At least I have the satisfaction of doing it but I would have paid the 69.95 in a heartbeat.  :)
This!  I would have paid $69.95 as well...just like you every dealer I contacted told me it was "non serviceable"...to be fair Ford apparently told them that so I'm not bashing the dealership.
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

ShoBoat

^^ same here! Dealer quoted me $250!
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

vernonator

So has anyone had a BG provider do the PTU fluid swap? Is it part of the BG Drive Line service?

"Remove and replace old worn-out lubricant from manual transmissions, front and rear differentials, transaxles, and transfer cases. Install gear oil or the additive package required for vehicle application."

http://www.bgfindashop.com/bgservices/driveline.htm

Will check with my dealer on next LOF -they are a BG shop
2012 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP. Livernois Stage 4+, PPE Catless DP's, EBC Stage 4 Front/Rear Brakes
2015 Tuxedo Black Explorer Sport 401A, no mods....YET :)