• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

On the fence about getting a tune - someone talk me into it!

Started by Fronzizzle, July 09, 2014, 05:51:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRT82ECOBOOST

It all comes down to if the performance gains and joys of driving out weigh the anxiety of bringing your car into the dealer for service or warranty work. I have experienced both and I am really not sure where I stand at this time and point.
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

PokerMunkee

For people that like to mod our cars, warranty can be a curse.  Just easier to pay out of pocket for a performance shop to fix our problems.  The reliability of the drive-train of these cars is good, so I'm not sweating a trannie or engine issue.  If the engine blows, run it into a ditch and total it! :D (i keed).

I leased my last 4 cars.  I traded in 3 of them well before my 36 month was due.  It's just a numbers game, but I always ended up better doing a trade and not having to worry about getting nickle and dimed from the leasing company.  I financed a slightly used SHO this round, as the initial depreciation was steep and I wanted to pay off a car and drive it for 6 years.  I love this car, nothing else out there I'd rather be in.

So what I'm saying, you only are risking an expensive drivetrain failure and warranty not paying for it.  Don't worry about turning your car back in, they won't care if you tuned it.  But you will probably be better off treating it as a used car transaction and using it as a trade in at the end of your lease if the car is worth more than your residual.
2013 SHO PP - Ignot Silver/Charcoal
Unleashed 91 tune w/ 3BAR, Corsa exhaust, LEDs everywhere
2011 F-250 6.2 CCSB FX4

Fronzizzle

I ordered a 3 bar MAP sensor from Rock Auto today, it should be here in a few days.  I decided to go with a tune from Livernois...but I'm confused as to what to buy.  From their website, the MyCalibr8or is $599.  But, they also have the MyCal Tuning Device for Ecoboost vehicles that is on sale for $799.  For me (no drag racing or further engine mods), I assume the $200 upcharge isn't worth it?  What else would I be getting if I went with the expensive one?

SHOnUup

Pretty sure the $200 is for the device with screen you can mount. Save the $200 and you could get a tablet to run torque with more options at about same total cost. This is what I did per suggestion also.
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

SHOnUup

Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

ZSHO

Before you pull the trigger on anything your not familiar with or not needed,give the guys at LMS a call,and state your vehicle and your expectations,if no one answers just leave a brief message about your vehicle and Anthony or Brandon will callyou back and explain the different options you can take,good luck with the ride.LOL

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Fronzizzle

Thanks for the advice.  I'm about 15 minutes away from LMS, giving them a call is a good idea - I might even be able to setup a time to stop by and discuss in person.

SHOnUup

Quote from: Fronzizzle on July 24, 2014, 09:58:21 PM
Thanks for the advice.  I'm about 15 minutes away from LMS, giving them a call is a good idea - I might even be able to setup a time to stop by and discuss in person.
I visited em too. 45 minutes for me.

jkeblaitis

If I am correct the mycal tuner is the only one LMS supports for the 2013+ models... thats the one I got for my 2013 and loving the extra power and shift points.. money well spent
2013 SHO, PP, tuxedo black, Airaid cai, LMS 3bar 93 V8 tune, Corsa black tip exhaust

SHOnUup

If you look at 2010-2012 SHO tab on livernois site you can get a full description of the MyCal device there. Couldn't find one on the site for 2013

FoCoSHO

If you haven't pulled the trigger already on the tune, I got another bonus for ya............in addition to the increased performance that many haven't already mentioned, there's also increased mpg's.  Prior to my mods, I was getting 24-25 highway mpg, after the mods I'm getting 30....would probably get more if I could just keep my foot out of it, though I don't see that happening.

Bigfoot

was about to order up Livernois tunes and then the coolant fans and cooling fan module died.  i have ford extended warranty so Ford roadside came and got the the car and towed it to local dealer.

now I'm back to holding off on a tune. 

2011 SHO
2013 5.0

Fronzizzle

My gas mileage now is pretty horrible.  I do mostly city driving (except to work) and am hard on the accelerator but right now I'm at about 18 mpg total.

I have an appointment at the dealer on Monday to check a couple of the recall items and check one other thing out...and then I'm going to Livernois on Wednesday!

ZSHO

The majority of us with a tune are reporting better gas mpg,due to all the corn added to our vehicles and all the condensation and carbon buildup I would add a couple bottles of chevron fi cleaner and see if your mpg improve,honestly 18mpg with a leaded foot is not bad at all Lol,good luck.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|