• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2013/14 Taurus, MKS, Flex, MKT recall for right-hand halfshaft disengagement

Started by Scott13SHO, July 08, 2014, 12:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZSHO

Had mine performed a while ago and basically its a visual inspection and the majority of the cars dont need replacing,personally i would put it back to stock for assurance,especially with all the TSB'S they might need to update ECU,computer so better play it safe,good luck.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

jmr061

Quote from: ZSHO on October 23, 2014, 01:58:39 PM
Had mine performed a while ago and basically its a visual inspection and the majority of the cars dont need replacing,personally i would put it back to stock for assurance,especially with all the TSB'S they might need to update ECU,computer so better play it safe,good luck.

If you think a dealer just checks everything for updates your far mistaken. Unless you complain about something they don't check.

Jason
www.fordpimods.com
Jason
16 Edge Sport

FoMoCoSHO

ZSHO

Everyone here is correct,as far as its not computer related,i just like to be on the safe side,there are close to 40 TSB'S for the taurus and not counting the recall's,all i need is a rookie to update the software and cause me tons headaches compared to just simply returning your vehicle to stock,such a simple precautionary task to follow gives me some peace of mind,just my 2cent.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Scott13SHO

Normally a tech isn't going to do that because they get paid at a set rate and aren't going to do "extra" work unless they can charge for it.

Sent via HTC One M7

Ruby Red 2013 Ford Taurus SHO with Performance Package,Airaid CAI, MGP Red Caliper covers, LMS 93 Tune, Custom A-pillar Gauge pod with Aeroforce Interceptor Gauges, LED Interior and Exterior lights

ZSHO

Quote from: Scott13SHO on October 23, 2014, 03:38:28 PM
Normally a tech isn't going to do that because they get paid at a set rate and aren't going to do "extra" work unless they can charge for it.

Sent via HTC One M7
Your initial question was tune related and gave you my opinion,so based on your last response why even post the question????good luck on the recalls getting rectified.

Courier6

I pulled into the service garage at my Ford dealer to set up an appointment, the service advisor hopped in, cut the wheel hard to the left and called out a tech from the garage. He went around to the passenger side with a flashlight and a mirror, looked underneath for about 30 seconds, pronounced the car fine and I drove away 5 minutes later.

Maybe it's just me but I see no point at all returning a car to stock when you pull through the service bay with custom exhaust and downpipes, turbo's wailing away, car slammed to the ground so low it looks like it might drag the rugs out as you leave.

I make it a point to let my service advisors know I don't want them in the ECU just to avoid getting my strategy code changed.
2013 Tri-White PP, PPE downpipes, Corsa, Air Raid CAI, H&R Springs, 170 deg thermo, Livernois Dyno Tune 365 AWHP 407 AWTQ. Best 1/4 mile 12.580

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: Courier6 on October 23, 2014, 08:03:40 PM
I pulled into the service garage at my Ford dealer to set up an appointment, the service advisor hopped in, cut the wheel hard to the left and called out a tech from the garage. He went around to the passenger side with a flashlight and a mirror, looked underneath for about 30 seconds, pronounced the car fine and I drove away 5 minutes later.

Maybe it's just me but I see no point at all returning a car to stock when you pull through the service bay with custom exhaust and downpipes, turbo's wailing away, car slammed to the ground so low it looks like it might drag the rugs out as you leave.

I make it a point to let my service advisors know I don't want them in the ECU just to avoid getting my strategy code changed.
True that....

But some of us have cars that appear completely stock upon visual inspection....

SHOnUup

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on October 23, 2014, 10:45:46 PM

True that....

But some of us have cars that appear completely stock upon visual inspection....
You never know it seems. For a carefree, mind-easing, non stressful stop at the dealer, what's 5 minutes of your time to return to stock.

I know I will almost gaurantee getting asked if it's tuned. Heavy on the exterior mods with LME repped on all 4 sides. Hoping this isn't needed until the final hoorah right before 60k.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

jmr061

I would not trust that inspection and go back and demand the real inspection. Perhaps they need to reread the technical bulletin. Car goes on a hoist. The engine air deflector must be removed. Visually inspect half shaft to intermediate shaft for separation. From under the vehicle using your hands apply outward pressure to the half shaft at the intermediate shaft to check that it is fully engaged.

Jason
www.fordpimods.com
Jason
16 Edge Sport

ZSHO

I could relate if this post was regarding warranty issues with a tune,but having a lengthy debate for such a simple matter is appauling,dont come back here and post [HELP] went to the dealer and for no reason they changed my strategy code and cant load my tune,all you need is a tech like the one that poured washer fluid in the labeled cap meth only reservoir to ruin your day,you learn something new in life everyday and usually its from your mistakes.

jmr061

Quote from: ZSHO on October 24, 2014, 09:36:12 AM
I could relate if this post was regarding warranty issues with a tune,but having a lengthy debate for such a simple matter is appauling,dont come back here and post [HELP] went to the dealer and for no reason they changed my strategy code and cant load my tune,all you need is a tech like the one that poured washer fluid in the labeled cap meth only reservoir to ruin your day,you learn something new in life everyday and usually its from your mistakes.

Maybe a tuner can correct me if I am wrong but if a dealer reprograms your PCM all you need to do is dump your tune back in. That rewrites the PCM.   The vehicle goes through the same programming process regardless if the dealer does it or you do it with your programmer.

Strategy codes identify which vehicle,motor, etc. and software level your vehicle is at. If a dealer puts newer software in reloading your tune will just revert it back to the older software and be tuned.

I have had issues with tuners because they don't stay on top of revision releases. I like to keep my module programming up to date especially the PCM because Ford makes changes for a reason. Tuners tend not to stay up with the latest PCM releases however.

Jason
www.fordpimods.com
Jason
16 Edge Sport

SHOnUup

Think there's been a couple issues now where the actual strategy code is changed and thus doesn't let your tuning device have access to tune.

Others have had the PCM updated without issues.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

ZSHO

My car is a 13 and the ECU and PCM on the 13+ SHO'S and the encoding of the programming is totally different than the 10+SHO'S making it more challenging to obtain the original strategy code and access the tune if reprogrammed from the dealer.

SHOmanMike84

Quote from: ZSHO on October 24, 2014, 09:36:12 AM

Did someone not get their morning coffee?? Geez, relax some.

2013 SHO, PP, Unleashed E25 tune, 3bar, aFe panel filter, 170* thermo, PPE catted DP's, 3rd cat delete, Eibach springs, Black powder coated flower wheels.