• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Tuning Newbie questions

Started by elund126, June 27, 2014, 10:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elund126

OK....I have to leave for work in a few. I searched and searched looking for the answer, but when I search "boost" i get every post that says "Ecoboost" in it.

Here's my question.

I loaded the Unleashed "Performance + Firm Shift + Boost" tune. I turned on the x4 to monitor boost PSI. After a couple of WOT runs, the max boost showed 15.08. Is this OK/Normal?
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO
Windows Tinted, SP-534, 3-bar, Unleashed Tuning

tmcphail

Take care,
Mr. Torrie R. McPhail - Owner
Unleashed Tuning Ford/GM/DCX SCT Custom Calibrator
EcuTek Nissan R35 GTR Custom Tuner
HPTuners Custom Tuner / Dealer

panther427

How's that permanent grim.  Shifts are very firm at first but settle down a bit after driving it a few times.
2013 SHO

elund126

Yes!! I can't wait for this rain to stop so I can really "test" it out!!! Definitely pulls a lot harder. However, I had a hesitation a couple of times at WOT between 1-2 gears. Trying to research it now on the forum. Also have a PM in to Torrie. I am picking up my SP534's tomorrow and hopefully have time to install.

I also have a PM in to Torrie. I must say, he is pretty prompt at responding. I was surprised!
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO

SHOdded

Did you go with a 3-bar MAP as well?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Wilson

That "hesitation" is likely wheel hop. Does it feel like the car is falling apart on the shift?
Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk
2013 SHO (non-PP) Ruby Red Tintcoat
Leading Edge Tuning 93 Tune | 3 Bar MAP | 170* Thermostat | Airaid Intake | PPE 2.5" Downpipes | Snow Stage 2 Meth Kit | H&R Lowering Springs | 22" Falken RT-7M wheels | 265/35/22 Falken Ziex TZ05 tires

tmcphail

Its either tire spin or spark blowout.

If someone dislikes how firm a shift is or if its not firm enough that is all calibratable and can be changed easily by highlighting this to me directly via email.
Take care,

elund126

I am going to guess that it wasn't wheel hop. It hesitated prior to shifting from 1-2.

My plugs are probably original and I have 70k on the clock. I should have waited to install the tune, but, I just couldnt help myself! I guess its kind of like shaking the Xmas present before you open it!

I'm going to change out the spark plugs today and see if that resolves the issue.
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO

wasinger3000

Quote from: elund126 on June 28, 2014, 12:24:45 PM
I am going to guess that it wasn't wheel hop. It hesitated prior to shifting from 1-2.

My plugs are probably original and I have 70k on the clock. I should have waited to install the tune, but, I just couldnt help myself! I guess its kind of like shaking the Xmas present before you open it!

I'm going to change out the spark plugs today and see if that resolves the issue.

Yeah i would definitely change the plugs. If you notice it after the plugs then its time to start data logging and see whats going on. Every car is different so its best to find out what it wants.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

elund126

Quote from: wasinger3000 on June 28, 2014, 12:38:17 PM
Quote from: elund126 on June 28, 2014, 12:24:45 PM

Yeah i would definitely change the plugs. If you notice it after the plugs then its time to start data logging and see whats going on. Every car is different so its best to find out what it wants.

Problem solved. Put the new plugs in today. Torrie suggested a .028 gap. All the old plugs had a gap greater than .040. Took the car out on a test run and no hesitation. I did about 4 WOT runs.
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO

tmcphail

Take care,

SHOdded

Nice!  Keep us updated on the experience and your mpg as well :D
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Bigfoot

congrats on the tune! 

I've stayed busy with the 5.0...it keeps me from tuning my SHO. 

2011 SHO
2013 5.0

Wilson

Interesting... Mine is doing the same, thought it was wheel spin. Will have to swap out my plugs tomorrow. Hoping to have the same results.
2013 SHO (non-PP) Ruby Red Tintcoat
Leading Edge Tuning 93 Tune | 3 Bar MAP | 170* Thermostat | Airaid Intake | PPE 2.5" Downpipes | Snow Stage 2 Meth Kit | H&R Lowering Springs | 22" Falken RT-7M wheels | 265/35/22 Falken Ziex TZ05 tires

elund126

Quote from: Wilson on June 28, 2014, 07:27:55 PM
Interesting... Mine is doing the same, thought it was wheel spin. Will have to swap out my plugs tomorrow. Hoping to have the same results.

How many miles do you have on yours? I had 70k. My plugs were at the end of their useful life for sure.
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO