• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Ford To Fix Smoky Engines On Explorer, Taurus, Flex, MKS, MKT

Started by Scott13SHO, June 25, 2014, 12:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott13SHO

Ruby Red 2013 Ford Taurus SHO with Performance Package,Airaid CAI, MGP Red Caliper covers, LMS 93 Tune, Custom A-pillar Gauge pod with Aeroforce Interceptor Gauges, LED Interior and Exterior lights

PokerMunkee

Good job, Ford!  I wish owners could lookup themselves if their car is affected.  How do they determine?  Surely must be EVERY SHO, right?

I'm emailing my dealer right now.
2013 SHO PP - Ignot Silver/Charcoal
Unleashed 91 tune w/ 3BAR, Corsa exhaust, LEDs everywhere
2011 F-250 6.2 CCSB FX4

BiGMaC

Quote from: Scott13SHO on June 25, 2014, 12:02:35 PM
http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1092935_ford-to-fix-smoky-engines-on-explorer-taurus-flex-mks-mkt?fbfanpage

Anyone run into this issue?

Interesting, if brief, article.  Sounds like a TSB coming.  I wonder if this will help decrease intake deposits and what the oil separator will actually do.... It appears pretty universal to the 3.5 EB.  I'm gonna discuss it with my Dealer service rep.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

krdiesel

Talked to my dealer, they do not have the parts in yet, But think they should have them in a few weeks.  He stated that it should also fix intake deposits and eliminate the need for a catch can.,

PokerMunkee

This repair is labor intensive and can take up to three hours, so plan on leaving the vehicle for the day. For more info or answers to questions contact Ford at 800-392-3673 or Lincoln at 800-521-4140. Reference Ford TSB Number: 14-0114 entitled: Engine - Intermittent Rough Idle, Rattle Noise While Driving.
2011 F-250 6.2 CCSB FX4

PokerMunkee

My dealer responded:

THAT IS INTERESTING, I LOOKED UP THAT TSB  14-0114 5.4L 3V – INTERMITTENT RATTLE NOISE WHILE DRIVING / ROUGH IDLE WHEN ENGINE IS AT OPERATING TEMPERATURE
BUT IT DOESN'T REFERENCE THE ECOBOOST ENGINE AT ALL.  THIS ONLY PERTAINS TO THE 5.4 3 VALVE ENGINES.  I THINK MAYBE THEY GOT AHEAD OF FORD ON RELEASING THAT STORY IF THEY HAVE A TSB COMING OUT FOR THE ECOBOOST ENGINE.
THE NEWEST VEHICLE THAT THE TSB REFERS TO IS 2013 EXPEDITION OR NAVIGATOR.
2011 F-250 6.2 CCSB FX4

ShoBoat

^^Ya that's what my dealer also responded. Weird?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

Tuner Boost

The internal separators can only be made to 20-30% effectiveness before they also catch can trap all the damaging combustion by-products.  GM implemented similar for the 2014 V8 DI engines....here are the results in 5500 miles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pz0zTQ1bz0&feature=youtu.be

So it is definitely going to help, but far from a solution.

IHeartGroceries

This a TSB (or eventually will be), not a recall. With my experience, there's a reluctance to perform TSBs, without evidence of an associated symptom. For example, smoke from the tail pipe (which isn't exhibited on my SHO)...

I doubt dealers will oblige to performing a TSB, just by request.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
2013 SHO PP

BiGMaC

Interesting video Tracy ... Thanks.

Btw, on factory OEM systems what is done with the trapped oil, etc?

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

jmr061

The tsb was issued 5/30

Jason

Jason
16 Edge Sport

BiGMaC

Anyone have the number of this TSB?... the one in all the articles references problems with the 5.4 engine...

jmr061

It is tsb 14-0113. Doesn't say anything about 5.4.

Jason
16 Edge Sport

jmr061

Quote from: BiGMaC on June 25, 2014, 08:06:21 PM
Anyone have the number of this TSB?... the one in all the articles references problems with the 5.4 engine...
TSB 14-0114 deals with rattle noise and rough idle on the 5.4

Jason
16 Edge Sport

BiGMaC

Quote from: jmr061 on June 25, 2014, 08:28:46 PM

Quote from: BiGMaC on June 25, 2014, 08:06:21 PM
TSB 14-0114 deals with rattle noise and rough idle on the 5.4

Thanks!   That's what I needed.... The articled linked in the first post says it is 14-0114, but I knew that couldn't be right.  Thanks again...

Anyone have a reliable link to this TSB ... Or a copy so we can read the info directly...TIA