• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Possible OBDLink MX Issue?

Started by Bigjht, June 22, 2014, 04:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigjht

I have been using the Scantool OBDLink MX and Torque Pro on a Nexus 7 Tablet for a couple of months in my truck with good success and virtually no issues.  A few weeks ago though, I got in to my truck after dropping my daughter off at daycare, put it in reverse, and received a warning for Down Hill Descent Fault, which was immediately followed with the Service Advancetrac Soon message.  I wasn't immediately concerned as I have seen where many periodically get the Advancetrac message, I have seen it before as well, and it usually goes away after turning the vehicle off and back on.  The Down Hill Descent was a little weird considering my truck doesn't have that feature but I thought it was something with the Advancetrac error since it came on essentially at the same time.  My big concerns came shortly after though.  I pulled on to the street and got no more than 1/10th of a mile when I received a Low Oil Pressure alert, followed by a Service Engine Soon Message, and then the engine cut off completely.  Luckily I had enough momentum to pull in to a parking lot and I wasn't on a busy road.  I remember reading about the cheap OBD dongles possible causing issues or interference with a vehicle's computer so I immediately pulles the OBDLink MX out and proceeded to crank it back up with no issues and have seen no issues since then.  Has anyone heard of anything like this happening before or have any ideas about it?  My main question is which caused the issue; the tune, the OBDLink MX, Torque Pro sending interference via the OBDLink MX, or truly an issue with the truck?  I really don't think I truly lost oil pressure as the truck was running fine, no shudders or mis-fires and no issues since.  It seemed more like something interfered with the signal from the sensor, which caused the fail safe to kick in by turning the engine off.  I'm tempted to plug everything back in to see if it happens again but to be honest I don't want to find out the hard way while trying to pull out in traffic or any other situation that may cause an accident.  Sorry for the long post but I wanted to make sure I included everything.
2013 PP SHO - Airaid CAI, Eibach Springs, Livernois Tune
2013 EB F150 Limited - Stock for Now!

ecoboostsho

I have only seen this with less expensive adapters but it does sound like it could be an issue with bad data on the CANBUS. It is certainly possible that you have a flaky MX...If you created any custom PIDs in Torque I would double check them. The good news is if this is the cause I don't believe it will hurt your vehicle...it is just very unsettling when it occurs.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

Bigjht

I haven't created any custom PIDs, mainly just watching boost and air/fuel ratios.
2013 PP SHO - Airaid CAI, Eibach Springs, Livernois Tune
2013 EB F150 Limited - Stock for Now!

Larrylu

I've been running my MX constantly plugged in for over a year and a half. I started with just boost and now if have dozens of gauges and several custom PID's. Never had a hiccup. I can see why you are worried. I have had the Nexus get funky and need a reboot but that has been the extent for me. Good luck finding the problem and please post what you learn. 
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

ShoBoat

I had a few weird events with mine. 1st was the parking lights flashed on their own. Second the car refused to start. Just cranked, both times I unplugged the MX. I no longer leave it plugged in when not in use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

SHOdded

It is possible one or more of the wheel speed sensors are going bad.  They feed into the transmission & brake control systems, so could have tripped the fault.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FoMoCoSHO

My Advancetrak always shuts down around 100MPH when drag racing.

ZSHO

Purchased the OBD link mx a little while ago and trying to get familiar with it,looks cool on the phone with the torque app,tried it a few times very briefly and today i go in my car and plugged it in while driving i get a advance trac service soon in the dashboard,as soon as i unplug it the advance trac service soon goes away,what i hate the most is intermittent issues?? Changed wheel hubs and tsb washers a couple weeks ago,maybe thats related??

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

ShoBoat

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on July 05, 2014, 12:07:27 PM
My Advancetrak always shuts down around 100MPH when drag racing.

Wait? Are you serious? I don't think that's supposed to happen.
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

SHOdded

ZSHO, I've been using the MX and Torque Pro on Nexus 7 (for the Edge) for some time now, with no check lights.  I do however sometimes have missing data from the logs, such as O2 voltage data.  Don't know if it is same issue as yours.

Bluetooth is on a UHF frequency of 2.4 to 2.485 GHz, TPMS on a UHF frequency of 315 or 433 Mhz.  So doesn't seem like there would be interference there.  Maybe it draws enough power from the OBD port to interfere with the receiver, or the vehicle electronics are too sensitive?  Seems to be more of a 2013+ problem from the reports I have seen so far.

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOnUup

Only issue here is when having torque open on tablet when starting vehicle with obdlink hooked up...throws dash codes galore, turn off unhook, no problems.
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

ShoBoat

Quote from: SHOnUup on August 08, 2014, 09:46:47 AM
Only issue here is when having torque open on tablet when starting vehicle with obdlink hooked up...throws dash codes galore, turn off unhook, no problems.

What he said, you can leave the tablet or device on. Just close the app before you start the car. It's happened to me at the track. The whole dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Even got a low oil pressure. Gave me a freaking heart attack!

SHOnUup

Quote from: ShoBoat on August 08, 2014, 09:55:27 AM

Quote from: SHOnUup on August 08, 2014, 09:46:47 AM

What he said, you can leave the tablet or device on. Just close the app before you start the car. It's happened to me at the track. The whole dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Even got a low oil pressure. Gave me a freaking heart attack!
Haha...think I lost a few days of life expectancy also after this first scare
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

ecoboostsho

I would definitely recommend NOT plugging or unplugging the adapter when the car is on.  Communication errors may occur on the bus and the car (not to mention the owner) will probably not enjoy the experience. :)
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

FoMoCoSHO

Weird, I never have any issues like that. Unplug one device, plug in another....no issues.