• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

XSport Audio build

Started by bigmoneycloser, June 18, 2014, 07:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmoneycloser

Gonna keep it simple.  I really wasn't gonna mess with the audio, but a deal like this was unbeatable....

Some might disagree with the plan, but I trust my man and he always over delivers!
Here we go...

Currently I have the 12 speaker sony system
We will not be using and disconnecting the center channel and the two speakers in the back rear pillars and the stock amp.

Now onto the goodies..

JL C5 5x7 components in the front doors
JL C5 5x7 coaxials in the rear doors
JL 10 inch stealth box for the explorer with 10W3V3
JL HD900/5 to power all the above
Audio control LC8 processor
JL wiring for everything
Plenty of sound deadening throughout truck

Everything should be hidden and stock looking except for the sub box

The deal on this was absolutely STUPID! I had no choice but to buy it..

Should take about a week to ten days to get everything in and a full day install.

Can't wait to hear the difference....

2014 Explorer Sport 401A
22x10.5 Vossen CVT- powder coated Matte Graphite
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico 285/35/22
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

Lanson

If you add something with processing control (real processing, not line-summing), you'll have time alignment and that's a big, big deal especially when you kill off the center.

Imaging will be all over the place, because the PLD's are as well.

If you implement an active arrangement for the front drivers instead of passive, and run a decent processor this will turn out 10x better.  There is now many more than before, like Helix's new ones, PPI/Soundstream's new ones, RF's 360.3 is a heavy-hitter, Zapco has one (cheap actually!) of course the JBL MS-8 like I have, and there's more like the one from Ground Zero that's coming soon.

The expense of your system (even at "killer deal" prices) is still extremely high, to not have a processor that actually processes. 

If you trust a guy that is not putting a processor into the system plans, I am not sure what to say, other than maybe...well... to be nice about it I would say he's not in the know.  He's not giving you the most bang for your hard-earned buck.

The audio judging lanes have proven conclusively that, unless you can equal PLD's, processing of time alignment is an absolute must.  Also, being able to EQ each channel to handle nodes, suckouts, and other maladies caused by the car audio environment is critical. 

This not my .02, this is my very honest critique of what could be a big mistake, or a huge success coming from direct experience. 
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

bigmoneycloser

Really appreciate the honest response and was hoping you would chim in..
I don't understand any of what you said... Lol
However, my question would be, is the audio control LC8 unit not be a processor??
I thought that was doing the job like the ms8 you mentioned??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Explorer Sport 401A
22x10.5 Vossen CVT- powder coated Matte Graphite
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico 285/35/22
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

Lanson

Quote from: bigmoneycloser on June 19, 2014, 05:16:33 PM
Really appreciate the honest response and was hoping you would chim in..
I don't understand any of what you said... Lol
However, my question would be, is the audio control LC8 unit not be a processor??
I thought that was doing the job like the ms8 you mentioned??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The LC8 is not a true processor.  It sums the incoming signal but that's it.  This job is unnecessary with most processors which will do this in a digital domain.  The JBL MS-8 is quite good, but not for everyone.  Is it for you?  Well, if you are new to system design and building (or if your builder is new to processors), it may be the right one.  It is a set-and-forget unit but tuning and tweaking is also permitted, to some level (mostly EQ curve.) 

Here's the short version of the problem at hand... each speaker has different Path Length Difference between your ears, and them.  Different lengths equal different arrival times for a given sound.  This is bad.  BTW usually in a nice home system, this isn't a big deal because you can put the speaker pair equal distant from you, and an optimal distance apart from each other.  No time alignment necessary, because they are already aligned.  For a car, we're trying our best to reproduce that.

The MS-8 will allow you to retain your center to help anchor the front stage action, which would be ideal.  If you can use a big speaker by building a panel like I did, cool.  If not, just use the stock size (3.5") and put a JL coaxial in there (or something similar.) 

With other processors like I mentioned, most of them don't work with a center. 

Either way you go, you'll get improved performance of the equipment you've got on the way.  The component JL speakers will be able to run active, tweeters and mids on separate channels which will have better sound quality for the money spent on the speakers. 

I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune