• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Car Craft article on E85

Started by EcoPowerParts, May 21, 2014, 05:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EcoPowerParts

Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

bpd1151

A few counterpoints to offer up to the membership in regards to how E85 is NOT beneficial, and how the Government is now taking active steps to re-define previously issued mandates requiring it's use, along with other recent articles reflecting actual results (all mostly negative) of E85's usage since 2007, and how the industry will likely falter in coming years.....

http://www.nola.com/environment/index.ssf/2013/11/ethanol_not_as_environmentally.html

Pay close attention to the last paragraph in this article alone....

http://www.arizonadailyindependent.com/2013/11/15/ethanol-mandate-fails-economically-and-environmentally/

http://thetandd.com/news/opinion/editorial/ethanol-mandate-has-unintended-negative-fallout/article_a40cd8d6-5ac4-11e3-94d7-001a4bcf887a.html

Interesting article from C&D on their findings as it relates to CAFE Standards, and other influential forces affecting E85's further usage and/or production.....

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/ethanol-promises-e85-and-fuel-economy-page-7

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/2014/04/20/its-final-corn-ethanol-is-of-no-use/

I can go on and on and on..... but why?

Any one of you can continue to find various articles on Ethanol / E85 and the continued negative uses there of....

I know 4DR's a big advocate of E85, but with all the grumblings going on at the local, county, state, and federal levels on how much it's further use will continue providing the underpinning's of it's inevitable failure.....

I can't for the love of me, understand why anyone would desire to keep fruitlessly placing faith in an industry that is currently, and will continue to, take such hits, and will likely result in the regular joe's (like us) no longer being able to see E85 as an available option at the local gas stations.

So that end, let the debates spring forth! :popcorn:

EcoPowerParts

Well Mike you can't deny it makes more power than 91 or 93 and is more cost effective than race gas.
It's being proven again and again to be a viable source for high horsepower motors, as long as it's at the pump I'll keep using it.

I'm not worried about economics, governments or anything else. How much HP can be had by running E85.
As of right now it's available, safe and makes HUGE power gains over regular gas.
We'll see long term if it's going to be available.
Your political posts have nothing to do with power gains.

On a conservative E85 tune I picked up 48HP over 91 octane
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD3fo1iz_P0
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

FoMoCoSHO

Much of that data is outdated and some of the data is spot on.  You can be assured that many of the problems stem from the politicians as is always the case when they poke their noses into anything.

Hemp would fix all of the negatives associated with using corn relating to land loss, water use, and crop prices.

Hemp would also be the best segway to the ultimate prize of cellulosic ethanol which will use all manners of plant waste to fuel our vehicles. That is my personal hope for E-85. Win for everyone!

I'm also a less is more guy and I feel the law of diminishing returns is at play here. If I can use 30 % E-85 and get 80 percent of the benefit while at the same time increasing fuel economy, I'm all for it. Study after study has shown there is a blend percentage with pretty much every engine where you will see fuel economy actually increase. The sweet spot in my car seems to be the 25% mark and I am currently averaging 21 MPG. I've been at that level for about 2 months now and the MPG has slowly but steadily increased the entire time. Hopefully blending pumps will begin to pop up more to make this a reality.

As far as quality of the gas, I have posted up a test of over 130 E-85 pumps from across the country and with the exception of one pump, all met quality standards with the exception of vapor pressure requirements (Colds climate startup). When blending with 93 E-0 this is not an issue at all, just another reason I'm hopeful blending pumps start to catch on. (I mix with shell 93 only)

SwampRat

Hhhmmm ...

E85 and Methanol are both commonly derived in the U.S.  from ..........

CORN

Methanol, an industrial chemical that can also be used as fuel, can be made from a wide variety of source materials. Viable feedstocks include agricultural products such as corn, sugarcane and switch grass, as well as other sources such as natural gas, coal, or municipal waste. Methanol can even be produced using carbon dioxide emissions that would otherwise contribute to greenhouse gas. As a transportation fuel, methanol has several advantages over gasoline.

I for one could care less about what the politicians have to say about anything .

Give me more HP wnd make me happy .......
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

IHeartGroceries

What made RVP an issue in the 130-pump E85 analysis survey? In regards to the findings, I mean. Just that blends were too E laden for winter season/temp?

If you're just blending 25 percent E85 (W=~E70) with 75 percent E10, you shouldn't have RVP related, cold start issues...
Denatured ETOH at 10 percent blend adds 1.0 - 1.5 PSI to RBOB. And winter blend RBOB typically falls in the range of 12-14 PSI, no matter the grade.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
2013 SHO PP

FastSHO23

Do you still have to buy the pump & different injectors if you just do a blend?
2010 SHO- 3rd Cat Delete

SwampRat

Quote from: FastSHO23 on May 22, 2014, 11:40:07 PM
Do you still have to buy the pump & different injectors if you just do a blend?

Unfortunately you will not be able to blend a 3.5 EB unless you have a 13 model year or newer due to the fuel delivery system on the older models .
The 13+ years have a beefed up delivery system .
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

bpd1151

Perhaps my initial post providing alternative viewpoints was misconstrued.....

It was not my intent, nor do I hold, any Political position reference the E85 debates.

I was however merely trying to point out, that there are MAJOR influential forces at play, that all revolve around the Politicians that are making decisions on bio-fuels and alternative fuels in an overall sense.

Given the information is current (from Nov. 2013 to April 2014) its' debates continue to fester and lurk in the background. I suspect, given all of the consistent, negative connotations that have been spewing forth, my concern was (or is rather) that the overall availability of E85 will be LESS likely in the future, rather than being MORE likely.

Some of the debates involve(d) food sources, pollutant byproducts resulting from the steps used in processing of E85, as well as the never panned out perceptions that E85 would lead to better gas mileage.

No doubt these circles that continue revolving around the E85 debate will potentially have a profound effect on it's availability.

The other concern of E85 use, is that currently, there are no regulations or oversights in place that relate to batch quality. Although most E85 producers, recognizing this, are taking their own proactive steps to increase quality, the continued lack of any oversight, what one pumps out at a chosen local fueling station is often not truly E85 as expected or perceived.

These inconsistencies in batch quality and in ground storage of E85 prior to it being pumped by an individual vehicle owner, are challenging for tuners to address.

There have been plenty of demonstrations of it's power increases sure, but future availability is questionable with so many variables in play as previously mentioned.

Would it go away entirely? Not likely. Perhaps you'll see production getting curtailed, but still available for racing uses, or enthusiast uses, much like Methanol is available in smaller 5 gal and 55 gal quantities.

In a more positive note, here's an article from VP Racing Fuels on their C85 product:

http://www.vpracingfuels.com/blogs/vp-racing-fuels-latest-news/2012/05/03/taking-e85-to-the-next-level---more-power--more-consistent-tuning-

Perhaps this could be a more viable, more consistent alternative product for all those E85 loyalists out there?

Anyhow, I hope that clarifies my original post a little bit. :dunno: