• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

What have you done to your Ecoboosted vehicle today?

Started by EcoPowerParts, January 14, 2013, 08:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

Yes bottom bolt.  Sticks out a bit on my 6F50, assume similar on 6F55.  Remember not to overtorque the bolt when reinstalling, I think it is like 7 ft-lb?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

bpd1151

Pic for reference.

Orienting the viewer, this is standing at the driver side, aiming camera towards the psgr side. Front of car is to pic frame left.

"Lower" bolt circled in red.

"Upper" bolt to left of lower bolt.

Ignore my brass fitting with wire harness on mine. That upper bolt is where I chose to install the sending unit for my tranny temp gauge.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

StealBlueSho

Drained and filled... only 5qts came out ::scratcheshead:::

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StealBlueSho

But is already shifts much better... no more flaring or stuttering... I suspected that the stuff my buddies shop used was subpar...

As a side note... the transmission temps are staying lower... old fluid looked ok but smelled burnt...

ZSHO

@ SBS Did you shift the gears back and forth a few times. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Only about 1/2 of the trans capacity is expected with a single drain/fill.  Rest remains in the torque converter.  That is why a 3x or even 4x D/F is recommended as a DIY for a "complete" changeout.

The fact that the fluid smelled burnt makes me say do 3 more D/Fs in short order with the new fluid.  Especially considering the "stress" of powering through those 1/4 miles & WOTs.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StealBlueSho

Quote from: ZSHO on September 16, 2017, 11:20:25 AM
@ SBS Did you shift the gears back and forth a few times. Z

Yes, filled it till it hit the min mark, drove it around town for a bit until the trans got nice warm, filled it again until it hit right below max, drove it around again, double checked it. Sitting right at the max line after a drive. 5qts exactly.

SHOdded

StealBlueSho

I have done this before, I was just shocked at the noticeable immediate difference in how crisp and clean the shifts were. Also the trans temp is 10 - 15 degrees cooler when going down the highway. That's with just half the fluid switched out...  again... doing the expedient solution of the having the shop do it bit me in the arse.

To be honest, after they swapped out the old MC stuff with their fluids the transmission didn't feel 100%. Just confirms stick with OEM or better..

StealBlueSho

And there has got to be a way to drain the entire system at once...

bpd1151

In all seriousness, you may want to overfill it by a 1/2 quart or so. Especially if you're drag stripping the car and/or engaged in the occassional street race out there yonder in Mexico or Canada somewhere.

***looks around innocently***

Whenever you launch from a dead stand still, that fluid will all slam to the back of the housing, and no bueno for the trans/converter being even momentarily out of, or what would be percieved as being low on, fluid.

Over filling it slightly will prevent long term damage. A trick I learned, and/or advice that was bestowed upon me years ago. A philosophy I've embraced every time I've performed this service on my SHO myself.

Speaks volumes for its' benefit given all the torture I've put mine through, throughout the years, and evidenced by my still completely functional OEM trans sitting at a crisp 78k on the clock as of this posting.

Hope the tidbit of info is beneficial.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

SHOdded

OEM trans and motorcraft LV IIRC.  I wonder if they put in Mercon V by mistake, SBS.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: SHOdded on September 16, 2017, 03:26:28 PM
OEM trans and motorcraft LV IIRC.  I wonder if they put in Mercon V by mistake, SBS.

After their new fluid I was disappointed in how the trans was performing overall. I actually called them and went back to the shop to verify what fluid they used.. it was a full synthetic transmission fluid "designed for all cars".. I can't remember the name but it's an affiliate of Shell. I was rather pissed because they told me they used OEM Motorcraft... not OEE. After that LMS recommended an extra 1/2 quart to alleviate some of the shifting issues I was seeing. Same advice that BPD just gave. That helped significantly...

This has been on my todo list for quite awhile but I think with the extra track time the fluid broke down enough it wasn't able to properly perform at the level I needed at an alarming rate.

Even with half of it gone my transmission is much more responsive and the trans temps stay below 200F... they would regularly climb over 205(recently saw 220F) while just driving down the highway with a small amount of traffic lights.

Just food for thought...

SHOdded

StealBlueSho

Quote from: SHOdded on September 16, 2017, 04:14:48 PM
It's not Spirax, I don't see Mercon LV in their fluid offerings
http://www.shell.com/promos/lubes/btb-products/spirax-product-range/_jcr_content.stream/1426852237071/7319f152dc01933a53a5dc8dce62ba73e6649b45dbbb98cf4fd68d4ad06b4196/shell-spirax-brochure.pdf

I have a thread on here where I mentioned the brand and parent company... I could have been wrong on Shell... I will need to look for it.

Been driving the SHO a lot and even with just one drain and fill at 5qts there is a significant improvement in shifting and temperature.... should have just raised hell and had them swap out the crap from the get go.