• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

What have you done to your Ecoboosted vehicle today?

Started by EcoPowerParts, January 14, 2013, 08:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irondoor19

Start of pulling the 2011 Motor Apart...

Looking to be a Nightmare as lots of Metal in the Pan :(
2010 Lincoln MKS, BONE Stock for Now, 2014 3.7L Police, Drop IN K&N,

SHOdded

Will be interesting to confirm where that metal came from ...
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

irondoor19

Quote from: SHOdded on May 04, 2017, 03:04:46 PM
Will be interesting to confirm where that metal came from ...

We will be pulling off the Head Today, AND
will up date the progress as we Go..

picking up a Brand New Motor Today as well...

irondoor19

Yep:

As bad as it could be:

Hole in the Piston, Thanks Pickups Plus Cars,
AND me for breaking everything I touch..... :axe:

and Further to the Saga, Melted Right Thru:
Anyone Done this Before..Sort of Impressive :crybabysmiley:

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

irondoor19

Yea, we have been busy Today.....AND

Things are always darkest before the dawn,

So It is dawn again, The New Motor has arrived ;D

SHOdded

Wow, must be nice to hold it, hug it, squeeze it ...

FearlessAZ

Quote from: irondoor19 on May 05, 2017, 10:14:37 AM
Yep:

As bad as it could be:

Needs more boost
2010 Non PP Sho. All the factory goodies. (RIP)

2015 MKS Ecoboost. All the factory goodies. (SOLD)

TopherSho

Quote from: irondoor19 on May 05, 2017, 10:14:37 AM
Yep:

As bad as it could be:

I think that's NOT a melt,  that's a ring-gap collapse!  i'm about 95% sure of it... look at the side of the piston in pic#1 (top) it is protruding up...

NOS?  or really high boost ?
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

irondoor19

Yea:

We think Rings too, Turbos Went at the Same Time Tho,

So a bunch of Crazy Stuff at the same time.. TOO MUCH Boost

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: irondoor19 on May 06, 2017, 10:02:14 AM
Yea:

And how much was too much in your case? Did the turbos somehow cause an overboost situation when this happened or commanded boost made it go pop?
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

TopherSho

Yea:

hmmm .. what kind of damage was done to the turbos?   they are upstream... other than a backfire with enough force to offset the incoming stream of air they should survive the rings closing/collapsing then the piston cracking and then exploding upward and inwward.  all the damage should be central to the combustion chamber, heads, connecting rods and inner block.  chunks noramlly would not make it back out past all intake bends..

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

TopherSho

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on May 06, 2017, 10:16:28 AM
Yea:

And how much was too much in your case? Did the turbos somehow cause an overboost situation when this happened or commanded boost made it go pop?

AJP might have a batter answer as to pressure limits.  but what causes rings to collapse is heat.  hotter they get the closer the gap becomes to closed.   once the gap is closed all they can do is collapse upward or inward.  this ring collapse causes the ring ends to overlap, this overlap then fractures the piston since the piston sleeve can take it and redirects the force of the overlap back onto the piston

this is SUPER common among NOS users running NOS on unprepped blocks where the OEM piston ring gap is unmodified.  for NOS you end up filing the rings open a bit more to prevent this or buying pregapped NOS rings based on the shot of NOS your going to do.

this is a bit over dramatic but a excellent example : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AScojLj139A

15:15 to skip straight to the carnage of 300 NOS shot .. but the whole video is fun and informational .. actually the whole series is.

jonnoriega

UPDATE:

Shot a video and posted it on YouTube.  I feel like a pro now :P
Here's my Livernois downpipe with OEM muffler.  Sound is a little noticeable at start up with a low-tone rumbling but when you drive it, it remains quiet as it was with stock.  You do notice it the downpipes when you punch the gas pedal.  I'll try to post video of that a later date.

ftp://http://youtu.be/jEJKDXwvjgs
2016 Explorer Platinum

firewater88

Installed an RX catch can today. Nice spot next to CAI. Had them add some extra hose since most install on other side. Will do a full write up soon.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2011 Flex Titanium EB
Retired- 1992 SHO