• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

What have you done to your Ecoboosted vehicle today?

Started by EcoPowerParts, January 14, 2013, 08:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derfdog15

Quote from: StealBlueSho on January 18, 2017, 09:51:15 AM
Nope not an oiled filter just a normal dry one...

I NEVER use an air compressor to dry out the filter... I have had several different cloth filters over the years and all say never to do that. It can loosen and damage the filter material... better to use fan to avoid filter material getting sucked up into the engine...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So did you use a product to clean it? Just curious, and I have never heard that about air compressor cleaning but good to know.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

StealBlueSho

Quote from: derfdog15 on January 18, 2017, 09:59:02 AM
Quote from: StealBlueSho on January 18, 2017, 09:51:15 AM
Nope not an oiled filter just a normal dry one...

I NEVER use an air compressor to dry out the filter... I have had several different cloth filters over the years and all say never to do that. It can loosen and damage the filter material... better to use fan to avoid filter material getting sucked up into the engine...

So did you use a product to clean it? Just curious, and I have never heard that about air compressor cleaning but good to know.

I have a bottle of K&N cleaner that I have been using for year, I did not use the oil obviously but the cleaner works well...

http://www.knfilters.com/mobile/mProduct.aspx?prod=99-5000

To be honest... it's just a mild soap.. you could use dawn that's been diluted with water...

A lot of guys just fill a bucket with soapy water and let the filter soak for awhile... shake it out a bit, rinse it in the sink until all the soap is washed out, then put it in front a fan for awhile... shake it out occasionally, turn it, set it back down...

The problem with forced air like a compressor is that it can damage the gauze creating air flow issues...and hot air from a hair dryer can potentially burn/shrink the gauze inside..

It's just a PIA...

StealBlueSho

When you don't have a funnel....

97novi2k

Finally got time to get some stuff done

Fuel pump recall
6 quarts or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum
New oil filter
Rotated tires
Car wash
Redline fuel system cleaner

Running like a champ
2014 Non-PP SHO Dark Side Metallic - LMS V10, PPE Downpipes, Windstorm CAI, 160 tstat, colder plugs

SHOdded

Quote from: StealBlueSho on January 18, 2017, 02:21:12 PM
When you don't have a funnel....
Deer Park is a popular brand for the DIY'r it seems LOL
Quote from: 97novi2k on January 18, 2017, 06:45:33 PM
Finally got time to get some stuff done
:thumb:
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MiWiAu

Well, since temperatures were in the 50's yesterday here in Milwaukee, I decided I'd install my EBC Sport rotors and Yellowstuff pads.

Against my better judgement, I went in full bore with the intent of following the EBC instructions to reuse the pad slider/anti-rattle clips.

The clips on the first caliper/bracket I pulled (right rear) were super crusty, and I didn't feel all that comfortable cleaning and reusing the existing clips. No biggie (or so I thought). Turns out nobody in the Milwaukee area NAPA, Advance, AZ, O'Reilly stocked the hardware kits for the HD brakes. I called all of them and had them search inventory at all the area stores. I wound up ordering them on Amazon yesterday and now the truck sits on stands waiting for new clips to arrive some time tomorrow.

Should be pretty quick to finish up. All the pistons are compressed and ready to go as soon as the new hardware kits arrive.

Moral of the story: replace your brake hardware. Don't cheap out, even if the instructions say so. ;) Order hardware in advance or at least confirm availability in your area.

All that said, I am super excited to get my new brakes on. The rear rotors were in terrible shape. Looked like hot spots galore on both of the outboard surfaces, and both inboard surfaces only had only about 50% of disc area (in the center) that looked like normal wear patterns, which explains the terrible vibration I was getting with moderate to aggressive braking from interstate speeds. I'm pretty confident that my truck will now stop when I need it to. :)
2013 XSport

SHOdded

I am just glad the powerstop kits include the necessary hardware :)  Could you list the link for the HD hardware, just in case others are in a similar dilemma?  And pics of the old brakes and the XSport as it "stands" would be awesome!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MiWiAu

Quote from: SHOdded on January 22, 2017, 06:09:14 PM
I am just glad the powerstop kits include the necessary hardware :)  Could you list the link for the HD hardware, just in case others are in a similar dilemma?  And pics of the old brakes and the XSport as it "stands" would be awesome!

You got it, boss! :)

Front Hardware (13.86" Rotors):
Raybestos H5865A Professional Grade Disc Brake Caliper Hardware Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D88PVJ6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_zMuHyb0NME98D

Rear Hardware (13.58" Rotors):
Raybestos H5864A Professional Grade Disc Brake Caliper Hardware Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D88PVXC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_CNuHybSFRDS90

Here is a picture of the old rear rotors (outboard side):

Old rear rotors (inboard side):

A sneak peak as it stands (new front GD Sport rotor):

2013 XSport

derfdog15

Mike,

I can not tell if your calipers are painted/coated or not. If they are not, now would be a good time to give them a nice coat of paint, since you already have them apart. I think it would definitely add to the wow factor with those EBC GD rotors!
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

MiWiAu

Quote from: derfdog15 on January 22, 2017, 07:32:53 PM
Mike,

I can not tell if your calipers are painted/coated or not. If they are not, now would be a good time to give them a nice coat of paint, since you already have them apart. I think it would definitely add to the wow factor with those EBC GD rotors!

Believe me, I thought about it. haha. Calipers are currently NOT painted; not quite warm enough this weekend, and I need to get it back on the road. I do have my eye on Craigslist for a free electric oven, so I can set up my own powder coating. Once I get something set up, I will order new calipers/brackets and powder coat them to minimize downtime. It will also give me a good excuse to flush out my current brake fluid and POSSIBLY install some stainless/braided brake lines... :)

With my next autocross coming up in about 3 weeks, I should have just enough time to bed in the pads/rotors just in case our next "winter" event ends up being warm and dry.
2013 XSport

SHOdded

MiWiAu

Done! GD rotors and Yellowstuff pads in all four corners!

Boy oh boy, does that break in coating sound terrible or what?! LOL

2013 XSport

AJP turbo

Let me know how those yellow stuff and GD rotors do...Those are the better EBC rotors. I had those and waited months for EBC to make the yellowstuff but I couldn't wait and got redstuff then I sold them all.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

MiWiAu

Quote from: AJP turbo on January 23, 2017, 10:58:29 PM
Let me know how those yellow stuff and GD rotors do...Those are the better EBC rotors. I had those and waited months for EBC to make the yellowstuff but I couldn't wait and got redstuff then I sold them all.

Will do!

Yep, I went for their best rotor and most aggressive pads for my application. 'Merica! :)

I'll put together a review of them after everything is bedded in.

2013 XSport

BoostedSho2010

. Blacked out the center of the wheels, fender badges and trunk chrome strip.