• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Anyone know how to swap a fuel injector on these?

Started by MikeB, January 10, 2013, 10:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeB

Anyone know how yet? From what I can tell I need to at least pull the intake off to gain access to the fuel rails. Then I'm assuming I need to pull the valve cover off?

EcoPowerParts

Here's a great picture of the motor expanded out, I would guess pulling the intake and then the valve cover will give you access to remove the fuel rails to access the fuel injector.
http://www.drivingenthusiast.net/sec-ford/FMC-engines/6m35d-ecoboost/EcoBoost_ExploView_02_HR.jpg
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

MikeB

Looking at that pic I don't think that the valve cover needs to be pulled. The rails are in the center of the intake and the injectos have to enter at the side of the head next to the intake port. I guess I'll find out LOL.

turbodave

As you can see in the pix. Just the intake has to come off.
2012 Lincoln MKT 3.5 Ecoboost AWD..... Fully Loaded minus active park assist and tow package.
Chrystal Champagne

86 Buick Grand National
87 Buick Grand National
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke

SHO Rod

According to the factory service manual, the valve covers do not need to be removed.

-Rod

MikeB

Thanks. It actually doesn't look too bad. I'll see if I can get an injector and intake gasket and swap the injector this weekend.

MikeB

Alright, I was able to knock it out last night. Not too horrible of a job. You do have to drain the radiator and disconnect the upper radiator hoses, heater hoses, and turbo coolant hoses from the intake. You have to remove the upper portion of the air box and the first part of the intake tube. You also have to remove the rear turbo outlet pipe. Once all the connectors are all unplugged from the intake you can unbolt it. You also have to disconnect the fuel line that goes to the hpfp. Removal and install of the intake is a 2 person job because someone needs to help pull the harness out of the way. Getting the fuel rails out is a little tricky cause they're in there tight. You may have to cut off a couple zip ties that hold the harness to the rails because you need the clearance. The injectors go out and in like any other.

I cleaned them all up and replaced the bad one. The injectors had some deposits as well as the back of the valves. Nothing a can of seafoam won't fix. I got it back together and it runs perfect now.

MikeB

Oh, I forgot one thing. The fuel pump will turn on for a moment about every hour or so even when the car is off, so make sure to put a can under it to catch the fuel when it does that.   :bangin:

SHO Rod

Great information, thank you for the details and the tip on the fuel pump running.  Finally there seems to be merit to the manuals having step 1 typically state to disconnect the battery.  I almost never did that in the past, but it seems like a good habit to get in to these days.

-Rod