• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Motor oil tests

Started by ShoBoat, May 14, 2014, 11:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShoBoat

I started investigating this due to my own observations on my ride. I noticed that the motor appeared to be getting dirty quickly. My dealer said that was Normal for the EB cars?

I looked around and couldn't find anything on this here. I did find an interesting article on motor oil testing and I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil. I was kinda shocked at the results. I just might be switching to Royal Pruple. I also found a write up on filters  I'll post it here also.

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

http://m.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=637158&styleid=28

Let me know what you guys think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

panther427

I was shocked about red line oil in that test.  But the filter thing I hadn't seen before.  Always good to see new data. 
2013 SHO

Brucelinc

The oil test appears to be pretty old - and may not be so valid anymore.  It refers to API classification SM as the latest.  SN classification has been out since around 2011. 

BiGMaC

Quote from: ShoBoat on May 14, 2014, 11:01:16 AM
I started investigating this due to my own observations on my ride. I noticed that the motor appeared to be getting dirty quickly. My dealer said that was Normal for the EB cars?

I looked around and couldn't find anything on this here. I did find an interesting article on motor oil testing and I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil. I was kinda shocked at the results. I just might be switching to Royal Pruple. I also found a write up on filters  I'll post it here also.

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

http://m.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=637158&styleid=28

Let me know what you guys think.

I am a Royal Purple fan... and was aware of these studies.... but...

I am considering Amsoil based on current testing that shows slightly less NOACK volatility (vaporization) and a better ball bearing lubricity test results... Time will tell they are both far superior to anything else I can find. when comparing their top tier engine oils.   M1 is actually dismal in comparison. Just google it and several 2012 and 2013 studies come up.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SHOdded

Almost a decade old, but I think you may just netted a few new RP customers :)  Another wear test here: 

http://www.enhancedsyntheticoil.com/Red_Line_vs_AMSOIL.htm
http://www.amsoil.com/lit/G3115.pdf
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ShoBoat

Wow, didn't realize it was that old. but I guess still still sort of relevant. The filter tests were also shocking to say the least. Ya I think I will be switching to royal purple as Amsoil is kinda hard to get around here by the looks of it, in case you were wondering the royal purple filter for the SHO is #20-500. 
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

FoMoCoSHO

Looks like I may be returning to Amsoil for oil and filters....

Too bad we don't have a dealer on the board to support.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: ShoBoat on May 14, 2014, 11:46:24 AM
Wow, didn't realize it was that old. but I guess still still sort of relevant. The filter tests were also shocking to say the least. Ya I think I will be switching to royal purple as Amsoil is kinda hard to get around here by the looks of it, in case you were wondering the royal purple filter for the SHO is #20-500.
I have always ordered Amsoil from online dealers.

Service was always excellent and shipping very fast.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHO-Pa

The Aussie test is kind of bogus (in addition to being old). Wouldn't you expect a 0W-40 oil to have less film thickness than a 5W or 10W? It would have had more validity to compare oils of the same weight. Kind of like comparing apples, oranges and tomatoes...yes they are all fruits, but....
2011 SHO - stock
2016 Explorer XLT 2.3L "4wd"
2018 Focus Titanium

ShoBoat

Scratch that, found it locally. Their Canada DC is 15 min from my office lol.

ShoBoat

Quote from: SHO-Pa on May 14, 2014, 12:23:24 PM
The Aussie test is kind of bogus (in addition to being old). Wouldn't you expect a 0W-40 oil to have less film thickness than a 5W or 10W? It would have had more validity to compare oils of the same weight. Kind of like comparing apples, oranges and tomatoes...yes they are all fruits, but....

Fruits lol, I like that comparison.

MeanKS

All the AMSOIL dealer/service centers i've called in my area; say the oil change interval is 7K to 7.5K miles max...

none claim the oil change is good for an entire year  ???
MKS-EB...

SHOdded

I would at least change the filter twice yearly, if thinking of going to a yearly OCI.  Maybe that's what the service centers were thinking of?

ShoBoat

For the cost I'm sticking to 5k, just not worth messing around. Btw placed my order and it was ready for pick up already! Pick it up at lunch and good to go! Thanks for the input.