• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Coops Blown 416 TBSS

Started by CooperS7777, May 14, 2014, 06:09:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CooperS7777

I figured Id share one of my other builds here.  This project just sort of materialized out of no where - I had a daily driver Duramax, and I was offered a crazy chunk of cash and this SS for it, so here we are.  I know its a Ford forum, but I consider myself a Car Guy more than any "brand" guy...plus I know Mike picked up a V so at least he'll enjoy it!

This build has taken place over the past year slowly, I'm away over half the year for work, so progress was slow at times.  This thread will be a bit of a fast forward until present day.

The shop that build the blower laid down just under 1100BHP on a smaller displacement motor.   Were shooting for lower boost on the bigger motor, and hoping for 650-700 AWHP.  She should be on the dyno in the next few weeks when I get home.

The Truck
AWD 3SS
Black on black
100k miles
Bone stock

The Motor
Leading Edge Performance

416 LS3
Factory fresh LS3 block
Fully blueprinted
Lunati Voodoo 4340 4" stroker crank
Lunati 6.125" H-Beam rods with ARP bolts
Weisco Forged 4.07" pistons
Total seal rings
Clevite H series main and rod bearings
Durabond cam bearings
ARP main studs

LEP/Melling oil pump

Pistons showed up from Weisco on Feb-28, he had to custom order to get the CR we were looking for, short block should be finished in a couple weeks :)

Heads
WCCH Stage 3 CNC'd L92 heads
ARP head studs
LEP blower cam

WCCH just finished up the heads and they flowed just under 340cfm, and they got the combustion chambers out to 76cc which should put us right around 10.5:1 CR

Power Adder
LeftCoast32 custom jackshaft TVS2300

Fuel
85lb Siemens Dekka injectors
Aquamist HFS-5 meth kit, running 100% meth.

Still planning the pump(s)

Exhaust
Maryland Speed helped with a few exhaust components:
Kooks 1 7/8" headers, Swaintech coated
Dougs 3" electric cutouts

Synergy Auto Lab in Manchester is fabbing up the rest of the exhaust as we speak:
3" stainless true dual exhaust, Cutouts after the headers, with the rest into an X pipe and straight out the back.

Im pretty stoked for this - Ill get some photos up ASAP, but the fabrication skills that Jason at Synergy has are second to none; hes nothing short of an artist.

Transmission
Im going to catch a ton of #!#!#!#! for this, but this is yet another build where a lucky (or potentially unlucky) and very special 4L70E will get a chance to prove itself.

Tuning

I already have EFI Live V2 for my Duramax so Ill probably stick with that for tuning.

Not sure who will tune the truck just yet, but I have been talking with Don at Slowhawk Performance in Bridgewater, Mass who has done a number of very respectable LS builds.  This one is just not something I feel comfortable playing around with :)

Misc

Alvin and the rest of the crew at PCM4Less have been great about helping out with misc. parts and advice. 

PCM SPAL e-fan kit
PCM wires and socks
PCM oil pan mod

The plan is for 700-750 awhp, and low 11's on street tires.  With a bit of suspension tuning and a set of DR's shell easily be a 10 second ride.

-Coop
2014 Sport
2010 Evo GSR
2006 TBSS "The Van" - Blown 416 LS3
A slew of other boring toys

CooperS7777

Well, its been a while since this has been updated.  Garth at Leading Edge Performance updated me with some shots yesterday:

2014 Sport
2010 Evo GSR

CooperS7777

The truck is also down at Synergy right now having the exhaust fabbed up.  After I posted some photos of the initial work Jason had done on the exhaust on the TBSSOwners forum, I received some messages from a guy in Canada who was impressed with Jason's work.  We chatted back and forth for a while, I told him about what he was doing for me and he mentioned he was interested in having Jason build something for him.  At first I though he would certainly flake out after cost/shipping etc were all factored in, but he got in touch with Jason and was serious about it!  I offered my truck up to Jason and the guys so they could fab a system for Frank while they had it in there for my work; win win for everyone!

Anyway, here are some shots of the headers back from Swaintech, installed and some photos of the system Jason is working on for Frank.  I believe its going to be a center exit dual system like the new CTS-V's have.

Yet again, Im more than impresed with Jasons work. I cant wait to see mine all wrapped up too!
2014 Sport
2010 Evo GSR

CooperS7777

Not much new to report here, hoping the exhaust will be wrapped up in the next couple of days.  Synergy had some issues with their welder late last week so there a bit behind, but here is what they had done before the weekend:

Garth at Leading Edge just cut the cam based on the flow sheets for the heads WCCH cut for us; .640 .640 228/240 on a 116 lsa...glug glug glug.  Should make some sick power and be pretty drivable too.
2014 Sport
2010 Evo GSR

CooperS7777

Here are some more that just came in from Garth earlier...

2014 Sport
2010 Evo GSR

CooperS7777

2014 Sport
2010 Evo GSR

CooperS7777

Been a while since I updated this; but I've been busy the past few days.  I picked the truck up from Jay on Friday - there were a few things he wanted to make sure I was OK with as far as the setup goes, so this meant I left with a one tip that was a little limp.  No big deal, I needed the truck to start some of my work (and since were down a vehicle now!).

First step was wrapping up the ass end; new bumper plate, fix the SLP rear valence, and installed the inserts on either side of the hitch.  I have to say the SLP rear valence fits like complete #!#!#!#! - I ended up plasti-welding some bolts to the back of it, and drilling the bumper to get the sides ends to sit flush like there supposed to...we even went as far as replacing the double sided tape that came on it with some of the GOOD 3M #!#!#!#! and it wasnt enough to hold it in properly :/ If I didn't already have it painted, and the exhaust built around it Id be really tempted to pick up one of the TBM valences there producing again.

You can see the limp drivers side pipe in the photos above.
2014 Sport
2010 Evo GSR

CooperS7777

This morning I headed down to Synergy to get the drivers side tip back up where it should be, and to discuss some where and how well be installing the meth tank.

When I got home I had a package waiting from R1 Concepts.  I think these came pony express from California - it seems like Ive been waiting forever!  Old brakes are complete junk, so its been a bit nerve wracking moving her around without much in terms of stopping power.  These will be going on with new stainless lines, G2 coated calipers, and EBC green stuff pads.

2014 Sport
2010 Evo GSR

CooperS7777

I spent most of the evening in the garage working on the gauge pod.  There is only one company that makes a gauge pod for the SS; Lotek.  Turns out that just like the SLP rear valence, this thing fits like #!#!#!#! too.  They offer two ways of installing it; the first is over the stock pillar cover, screwed into place.  The second is in place of the stock pillar cover, screwed into place.  The interesting this is that if you decide to replace the stock cover with this, and screw it into place, you do so right into the side curtain airbag...

Here's what Ive been working on for a solution:

I hacked up the stock pillar and used the stock mounting points.  Ill plasti-weld these into place, cut the zip ties and fill/sand the outside.  After that Ill probably wrap the pod and passenger pillar in suede to match the seat inserts.

And I just stuck the AEM gauges in quick to see what they will look like, and to get a feel for which order I want to install them in.

2014 Sport
2010 Evo GSR

CooperS7777

Last but not least, a couple quick ones of my "garage"...not much but Ive got some new goodies (engine stand and hoist) that Im pretty pumped about :)

And the AWD pan being modded in the background here:

I also discovered, that while a palletized LS3 longblock will fit in the back of the van, its much harder to pick out with a cherry picker than it is to load up with a forklift!  Ill be giving it another shot after the weekend with a truck! Haha
2014 Sport
2010 Evo GSR

CooperS7777

Got some shiny stuff in the mail today:

10% OD billet 8 rib crank pulley from Innovators West.  SFI cert and all :)
2014 Sport
2010 Evo GSR

CooperS7777

Been busy the past few days again.  LOTS of parts starting to show up :)

Got some sick new wheels for the van:

Factory 2003 SSR wheels, staggered fit and tire size...should help the front diff live a long and healthy life.

Just kidding...we used these to move it in/out of the shop while we refinished the stockers - didnt want to tie up a lift/leave it on jack stands for a few days.

Spent the past 2 days refinishing the stock wheels.  The looked like garbage and didn't do the van justice.  I hunted and hunted for someone to blast these wheels...a few places I called were "out of media", other places simply didn't return calls, and one just flat out said we cant meet your deadline.  The idea was to pull the wheels off Wednesday night - blast all day thursday, and finish them today.  I recall the last time I blasted a set of wheels in the cabinet we have, and it SUCKED...I was not looking forward to doing it again, but I was left with no choice.

Here is just a little of what I started with Thursday AM:

After some time in the cabinet:

I honestly probably have 20 hrs of time in the cabinet with these...were simply not setup for something this size, but it was really the only option for the timeline I wanted things done in...
2014 Sport
2010 Evo GSR

CooperS7777

All sealed up and in the booth, ready for primer.

And all primed up.

And the face, GM Competition Grey - stolen from the 06 era Z06 wheels :)

After clear:

There is another twist to these wheels - but Im going to wait till tomorrow after I get the rubber mounted up to reveal it :)
2014 Sport
2010 Evo GSR

CooperS7777

Last but not least, a pile of parts waiting for me when I got home!  Some fresh billet accessories from T-Mac Performance; the rest of the accessory pulleys:

LC32/T-Mac Performance catch can:

Colorado Speed sent out a nice LS specific balancer installation tool:

And a pile of GM factory parts from PCM For Less of NC.  I could have ordered most of these from the local dealer - but the long and short of it is, they suck.  Anyway, new Camaro water pump, power steering pump, alternator as well as all new seals :)

2014 Sport
2010 Evo GSR

CooperS7777

Slapped new pads and rotors on the other day before I put the new wheels on:

Stockers were completely shot.  Ive got a second set of stock calipers and braided lines to go on, I just have to clean up and coat the calipers before install.  I wanted to keep stock sized brakes so I could have the option to run a set of Boze or True Forge 17's with DR's when the time comes.
2014 Sport
2010 Evo GSR