• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Disappointing Power

Started by POPSTAGE2, April 22, 2014, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShoBoat

Hmmm I'm not sure what is the issue. My 13 isn't really that bad at all. I prefer a bit of torque steer to breaking the tires free at 60mph. My 71 used to do that a lot, which I got used to. Still not fun when she would catch a rut in the road and try to come around on me. More powa means you need to adjust your driving style.
Especially when racing a train apparently ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

BiGMaC

.---- -.-. .. .
   ( .',---- - -''
    \_/     ;--:-
   _U__n_^_'__[._oo__
c(_..(_..(_ ..( /,,,,]
,_\_________'_|,L____]
/;_(@)(@)=(@)(@)  (o)(o)

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

POPSTAGE2

Quote from: JimiJak on April 28, 2014, 10:27:01 PM
Quote from: POPSTAGE2 on April 28, 2014, 09:28:03 AM
Ok JimiJak, had some time to take pics.
First pic is showing the oil that is always there everytime I take the RX breather off...anyone else have this issue?

There's an o-ring that helps to seal the bottom of the CSS. Mine was broke. The only reason I didn't post this at the time was because I talked to Tracy and he said that was the very first one of these he's seen broken.
Since it's a $0.99 O-ring...and everyone gets a bad part once in a while...I didn't feel it necessary to make people skeptical of his materials.
But, if you unscrew the top off your OCC, remove the coalescing material, and find the same thing...then maybe he ended up with a faulty batch of O-Rings, as it seems to be the appropriate size.

A new one is easily findable...got mine at AutoValue. They actually had it right up by the register.

*Edit:
when installing the new O-ring, make sure not to pull on the threaded base against the top. If you decide to remove the grommet from the bottom of the CSS, push the grommet out of the CSS from the top.

Bingo on the broken o-ring! Thanks JimiJak!
Just got back last night and had a chance to look at the cap before work this morning.
Will not have time to do anything else till later this week or weekend.

Lots of talk about torque steer! I stand by what I said and was just using that as a way of comparing the difference of power between the two. (and thats coming from an experienced drag racer)

99 500HP LIGHTNING
03 SD 6.0
14 EXPLORER SPORT
AND A WHOLE LOT OF OTHER MUSCLE / DRAG CARS

ShoBoat

Funny about the torque steer, I drove our 11 Explorer Limited on the weekend. It's been a while since I have, paying attention to the torque steer on it, it is more pronounced than my SHO. Which I found really weird, for 2 reasons. One is that the front end on the 2 are pretty similar. Mine being a Limited is a NA engine. So I would imagine that it would be even more pronounced on the Sport. Weird?
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

Brucelinc

Quote from: ShoBoat on May 12, 2014, 01:56:20 PM
Funny about the torque steer, I drove our 11 Explorer Limited on the weekend. It's been a while since I have, paying attention to the torque steer on it, it is more pronounced than my SHO. Which I found really weird, for 2 reasons. One is that the front end on the 2 are pretty similar. Mine being a Limited is a NA engine. So I would imagine that it would be even more pronounced on the Sport. Weird?

Several posters have mentioned more torque steer in the Explorer.   Our FWD Taurus SEL has more far more noticeable torque steer than my MKS ecoboost.  Sending some power to the rear helps reduce the tendency to torque steer even in a FWD biased system like ours.

When people say they have horrible torque steer in a SHO, it makes me wonder if some cars send power to the rear sooner than others under WOT.  Or, it could also be just a matter of not being used to a FWD biased system or maybe never driven a powerful FWD car.  What is minor to some could be major to others.

panther427

I would say go Driver and grand prix gxp. Turn off traction and stability control.  That thing will give you some extrem torque steer.  From my experience with the sho I only notice it on slick surfaces.
2013 SHO

ShoBoat

My 1978 Honda Civic had horrible torque steer. And it only had like maybe 60hp lol.

IHeartGroceries

No, I'm not accustomed to high powered FWD, or FWD biased AWD. Always been a 50/50 or 0/10) guy. So, even if degrees of severity are subjective, the SHOs torque steer condition is bad enough for me. Any is bad for me. It's just a work against.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP

panther427

Makes me wonder if something is not working right with your awd system.
2013 SHO

MeanKS

Quote from: panther427 on May 12, 2014, 05:06:32 PM

agree, because i don't have any torque steer with my MKS.

now, i'm talking about tq steer from a standing stop then accelerating the car, up to full throttle, in a straight line.  my MKS does not forcibly veer in any direction.

now, when cornering aggressively, i can throttle out of a turn if i'm experiencing understeer to force the back end out a little.  but i don't consider that torque steer...
MKS-EB...

BiGMaC

Quote from: DRII on May 12, 2014, 05:16:28 PM
Quote from: panther427 on May 12, 2014, 05:06:32 PM

agree, because i don't have any torque steer with my MKS.

now, i'm talking about tq steer from a standing stop then accelerating the car, up to full throttle, in a straight line.  my MKS does not forcibly veer in any direction.

now, when cornering aggressively, i can throttle out of a turn if i'm experiencing understeer to force the back end out a little.  but i don't consider that torque steer...

Gotta echo this... If I really launch I can get a little lateral stutter, but I don't appreciate torque steering in my '13 SHO at any speed or throttle application straight or turning.... grannies on or off. 

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock