• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Disappointing Power

Started by POPSTAGE2, April 22, 2014, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BiGMaC

Quote from: Larrylu on April 29, 2014, 10:05:36 AM
Your symptom description sounds too similar to my experience to not mention.  My symptoms were acceleration going flat at the top of the gear. There was carryover into the next gear.  Before going into the dealership, I also noticed a sound coinciding with the performance flattening that sounded like a belt squeal.   The dealership duplicated the symptoms and claimed that the car thew a code for them. They explained that (their words) I had a vacuum leak at the high pressure fuel pump sensor, which caused an over boost condition. I'm thinking that the car pulled timing to protect itself. They told me that Ford did not use a clamp on the site of my leak. What they did was to trim the hose and add a clamp. Problem has not reoccurred and the car pulls strong to the top of gear and seems to leap as it hits the next gear. In normal driving I was unaware of the slowly developing issue. This may not be related to your problem but I could not help but see a similarity in your description of symptoms. Good luck finding your problem!

2010 Steel Blue Metallic, Fully Loaded, non PP, LMS 4+, K&N drop in, 170 T-stat, 3 bar MAP

Larry... got a pic of that connection?  TIA

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

Larrylu

[
[/quote]

Larry... got a pic of that connection?  TIA
[/quote]

Well Tom you caught me being lazy. My description is strictly second hand as related to me by the service writer.  With the stuff I've been doing, I've had the engine cover off and I've had the MAP sensor on and off more times than I care to count, but I have not laid eyes on the site of the dealer installed non OE clamp. Though I've been curious, I have been to lazy to really search. I know where the fuel pump is under the rubber sound deadener.  I'll give a quick overview again this afternoon. The results of the dealer repair were rather dramatic.

2010 Steel Blue Metallic, Fully Loaded, non PP, LMS 4+, K&N drop in, 170 T-stat, 3 bar MAP
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

JimiJak

Related to the O-Ring post from above:
IMPORTANT!
IF YOU ATTEMPT TO REPLACE THE ORING, DO NOT PULL THE THREADED BASE OUT OF THE CSS as I was originally instructed. :nono:
PUSH THE GROMET OUT OF THE BASE FROM THE TOP.

or if you have the right pics  / tools to get the oring over the base from above without having to remove the grommet, that's probably best.

*I've edited my above response to insure nobody pulls on the threaded base. ...I won't go into what happens when you do...just don't do it.  :Picard2:

EDIT: As an update, Tracy has been stellar (as usual) in his customer service, and assuring everything gets taken care of on my end. :thumbsup:
"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed." - Eleanor Roosevelt

2014 XSport Black Betty Build

Larrylu

Your symptom description sounds too similar to my experience to not mention.  My symptoms were acceleration going flat at the top of the gear. There was carryover into the next gear.  Before going into the dealership, I also noticed a sound coinciding with the performance flattening that sounded like a belt squeal.   The dealership duplicated the symptoms and claimed that the car thew a code for them. They explained that (their words) I had a vacuum leak at the high pressure fuel pump sensor, which caused an over boost condition. I'm thinking that the car pulled timing to protect itself. They told me that Ford did not use a clamp on the site of my leak. What they did was to trim the hose and add a clamp. Problem has not reoccurred and the car pulls strong to the top of gear and seems to leap as it hits the next gear. In normal driving I was unaware of the slowly developing issue. This may not be related to your problem but I could not help but see a similarity in your description of symptoms. Good luck finding your problem!

I've been poking around looking for tracks the tech might have left behind as to which clamp he added and I'm just not certain. There is one clamp that is newer looking and a different color metal and so I took a picture of it for what ever it's worth. Sorry I can't be more definite than that!

2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

JimiJak

In typical Larrylu fashion, you're on it!
We appreciate that!!

POPSTAGE2

Some more good info...thanks guys.
I will be out of the country starting tomorrow for a week and a half so won't be reporting back.
But I will stay on it when I get back and let everyone know what I find.

Thought I would have time to look at that o-ring and check vacuum but got busy here at work...still trying.
99 500HP LIGHTNING
03 SD 6.0
14 EXPLORER SPORT
AND A WHOLE LOT OF OTHER MUSCLE / DRAG CARS

BiGMaC

Quote from: Larrylu on April 29, 2014, 01:53:23 PM

I've been poking around looking for tracks the tech might have left behind as to which clamp he added and I'm just not certain. There is one clamp that is newer looking and a different color metal and so I took a picture of it for what ever it's worth. Sorry I can't be more definite than that!

Perfect Larry!   Thanks!

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

mjhpadi

Speaking of clamps, watching Motorweek and Goss' Garage he talked specifically about clamps and when replacing them he recommends using OEM clamps but not to use the screw type clamp for a variety of reasons...just thought I'd throw that in since we are talking clamps.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

JimiJak

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FoMoCoSHO

IHeartGroceries

The OE tension type clamps make me want to castrate myself.
The worm clamps I've never liked, for various reasons.
But, t-bolt clamps...
There's simply no substitute.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP

SwampRat

Quote from: IHeartGroceries on May 07, 2014, 04:03:07 PM
But, t-bolt clamps...

100% in agreement ...
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

BiGMaC

Quote from: SwampRat on May 07, 2014, 04:08:40 PM
Quote from: IHeartGroceries on May 07, 2014, 04:03:07 PM
But, t-bolt clamps...

100% in agreement ...

X3!

Needmoreboost

I would not use t-bolts on plastic tubing unless you want cracks and boost leaks.  ;)
2014 Mustang GT/CS: white
Auto with custom Unleashed Tuning
Past honorable mentions: 13 SHO, 08 SRT4, 07 350Z, 03 Cobra, 03 Focus SVT, 00 GT Mustang, 91 LX Notch, etc.