• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Tuning methodology

Started by MikeB, December 28, 2012, 11:08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeB

Has anyone on here actually taken a crack at tuning these things? I'm going to eventually get tuned by Torrie, but I'm curious as to what all gets done with fueling / spark / timing?

It looks like these things try to hit a target of 12psi with 20 degrees of timing. They start out at 11.7:1 and richen up all the way to 10.7:1 stock.  Sounds to me like the old school way of thinking. Lots of fuel and timing.

I'd say back the timing at WOT off to 15, add 3psi, and level AFR off at 11.3:1 or so.  Do the pro tuners do something similar?

EcoPowerParts

Yes from what I am seeing from Torrie that is what he does, I pretty much flat line at 11.4 AFR across the RPM range with my 100 octane tune. I bought the strategy code for a local tuner and we looked at the tables, it doesn't look easy to decipher by any means. I wish I knew the tables and adjustments required for timing/fuel so that I could tune locally on the dyno with the E85 mix I've been running, I"m sure I could get another 40-50HP with the timing advance I could throw in but the tables are so crazy for our cars. I'll have to figure it out eventually once the new turbos come in and and I get my fueling setup for a 50/50 E85 mix.
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

MikeB

How much boost / timing do you run with 100 octane?

WhitePlatinumSHO

Tuning the newer vehicles is not exactly something you can pickup easily. There is 100's if not thousands of tables and parameters that all relate to each other based on variables from the vehicle's sensors etc.

I used to tune cars many years ago (Mostly 87-04 Mustangs etc.) and they were relatively easy, but the newer stuff is just crazy advanced. One wrong click now a days will cost you an engine.
2016 Platinum White SHO
- Unleashed Tune & 3 Bar MAP

2010 Red Candy SHO - Gone but not forgotten
1997 Cobra Coupe - 659rwhp / 609rwtq

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: MikeB on December 28, 2012, 11:52:59 AM
How much boost / timing do you run with 100 octane?
I'll have to look when I get back, in California at a wrestling tourney

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

MikeB

Quote from: RedCandySHO on December 28, 2012, 04:44:39 PM
Tuning the newer vehicles is not exactly something you can pickup easily. There is 100's if not thousands of tables and parameters that all relate to each other based on variables from the vehicle's sensors etc.

I used to tune cars many years ago (Mostly 87-04 Mustangs etc.) and they were relatively easy, but the newer stuff is just crazy advanced. One wrong click now a days will cost you an engine.

I'm aware. I've spent hours and hours reading up while using HP Tuners to tun the LS2 in the Trailblazer SS I had. It was a completely different animal compared to tuning my GN with a MAF translator haha.

WhitePlatinumSHO

That being said. Anyone interested in learning how to tune, check out www.thetuningschool.com. They are great guys and can teach you to tune the latest vehicles.
2016 Platinum White SHO
- Unleashed Tune & 3 Bar MAP

2010 Red Candy SHO - Gone but not forgotten
1997 Cobra Coupe - 659rwhp / 609rwtq