• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

My Stealth install 2 10's

Started by ShoBoat, May 09, 2014, 01:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShoBoat

Re posted from EBOF

So I wanted to add some bottom end to my system. The factory mids and highs are pretty good for stock, however the base leaves something to be desired. I looked at the JL stealth 13' but the cost of the enclose and sub are pretty high (upwards of $1200 plus a decent amp). I began with getting equipment, 2 10" JL WS6's and a Focal FP 1.800 LE amplifier. I slapped together a box and mounted the amp. It sounded great! I was impressed, it really complemented the stock system. However now I had taken up a chunk of my trunk and for it to sound good the box needed to be at the back of the trunk facing the trunk lid. So more research, my first thought was to build 2 fiberglass enclosures mounted to each side of the trunk, to minimize the amount of space taken up. After building the backing molds the challenge was mounting. I could find a way to safely mount the enclosures without a lot of drilling. So I scrapped it. I really liked the idea of the stealth enclosure, and as mine did not come with a spare tire I had to be able to do something in the tire well. After considerable drawing and tinkering in the well I came up with a design. The 2 10's and the amp would fit under the floor in the trunk, the only catch was I needed to raise the floor 3 inches to accommodate the minimum volume for the 10's. This to me wasn't a big deal as the JL stealth box had the same impact on the trunk. The 10's fire downward into the well and as such the well makes a decent loading surface for the base to reflect off of. Just one thing if any of you are interested in doing something like this you need to secure the enclosure. If you don't the it will sound really weird. Also sound deadening is a must cover as much as possible. After all is said and done, I couldn't be happier. I built the whole system for about $1000.00 and I prefer the sound of 10's over 12's or larger subs anyway. Sorry for the quality of the pics (taken with my iphone)

2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

ShoBoat

Sorry, Forgot the finished pic.
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

BiGMaC

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

Lanson

AWESOME!

You my friend need a circle cutter jig!

That's a really great solution, and you might not realize it but you've actually made one of the best-possible bass output solutions possible.  You've technically loaded the subs in what would sorta be a horn load, and the output is incapable of being cancelled by interference waves in the trunk.  The only thing you may want to watch out for is a frequency hump at some point (can't tell what frequency until it is mapped), due to the loading design.  That said, if you cut that hump with some EQ cut, you basically will have a solid flat, powerful output with virtually no cancellation distortion. 

Great false-floor execution all around.
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

ShoBoat

Thanks guys, and I do have a circle jig for my router lol. I  really pleased with the way it turned out. The base sorta sounds like a band pass but without the extreme fall off at the 2 ends. I played around with a few designs including a couple of fibreglass enclosures in the sides of the trunk. I actually made the enclosures then scrapped them. It took up too much space, and with the wasted space with no spare tire it made sense. This way you have a fully functional trunk, just don't forget to turn the stereo down if you are carrying eggs in the trunk lol. Unless you want scrambled eggs ;)

Lanson

Quote from: ShoBoat on May 09, 2014, 03:37:29 PM
Thanks guys, and I do have a circle jig for my router lol. I  really pleased with the way it turned out. The base sorta sounds like a band pass but without the extreme fall off at the 2 ends. I played around with a few designs including a couple of fibreglass enclosures in the sides of the trunk. I actually made the enclosures then scrapped them. It took up too much space, and with the wasted space with no spare tire it made sense. This way you have a fully functional trunk, just don't forget to turn the stereo down if you are carrying eggs in the trunk lol. Unless you want scrambled eggs ;)

You may want to mess with mass-loaded vinyl and a decoupling layer then.  Consider using that to create the isolation. 

You are right, it is in effect in some ways, a band-pass.  But like a 4th order bandpass can be, there's an impedance peak created by the loading effect at "x" frequency.  A frequency yet to be determined but I bet you can hear it if you play a sweep.  There's an electrical bump but also a mechanical bump, and that one is the one you may want to spend a little bit of time to perfect.

That's where the decoupling and MLV may help flatten that out.  I would run a 1/8" to 1/4" closed cell foam over your deadener tiles you already installed, and then lay some strong MLV over that and cover completely.  You can do this in the well but also on the floor of the trunk itself (and doors, and whatever else you want to decouple and have improved).  The change should be rather dramatic. 
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

ShoBoat

I'll give that a try, nice to have another audiophile to talk shop with. Not that there's anything wrong with the gear heads around here ;)

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Lanson

Always happy to help.

Also, if you want to get the depth down, I've been messing around with Sundown's SD subs and they are fantastic.  They are quite shallow, but there is extra depth saved because the rear is vented radially instead of out the back like a normal sub.  You can literally place the sub's back end directly against the box.

Acoustically they are incredibly accurate and they dig very deep for their size.  I'm highly impressed.  The price is a bonus as they are about $160 each in 10" sizes, and they prefer small boxes either sealed or ported.  A really good choice for stealth setups like yours if you need to shrink down your height ever.

Torsen

Love it! Do you have the dimensions of that box that you can share with us? I may try this myself.

SHOnUup

Great job. Glad someone pulled this up. Looks like a great idea.
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

Dxlnt1

Just a question, a little off topic. But how do you all justify NOT having a spare tire? Although in all of years driving, I have only needed to change tires tmaybe half a dozen times on the road, but I always believed better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

Incidentally, my install was stealth also. But I like yours as well. Just leary of not having a spare.

2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

SHOdded

Good looking install, Dxlnt1!  ShoBoat has the performance pkg, so no spare tire anyway :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

J-Will

Quote from: Dxlnt1 on September 30, 2014, 01:59:16 AM
Just a question, a little off topic. But how do you all justify NOT having a spare tire? Although in all of years driving, I have only needed to change tires tmaybe half a dozen times on the road, but I always believed better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

Incidentally, my install was stealth also. But I like yours as well. Just leary of not having a spare.

This is the setup I originally had in mind.  Did you make your box out of fiberglass by chance?  You would happen to have any schematics you'd share would you?
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

ShoBoat

Our 2011 Explorer has no spare also. They come with a mobility kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk