• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Eco_Boost Fuel Dilution Problems

Started by SHOdded, December 20, 2012, 10:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

This was posted over in the SHOForum today.  Don't know if anyone has heard of this already, so I have "pirated" it over here.

http://www.shoforum.com/showthread.php?t=124547

There may be a conflict of interest, as you will see, judge for yourself.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FaSSt9602

It is a pretty common problem in any DI motor, gas or diesel.  I change my diesel truck every 3k and I let the EB go to 4500-5k miles.  No way will I go to the 7500 or 10k like I think the 2011+ say...

Just change your oil/filter consistently and you will be fine.  A tuner will probably help with the fuel dilution amazingly enough... :bangin:
2010 EB Flex Limited Dark Ink Blue Metallic/White Suede two tone

Sadly it is the wife's car, so I can't go too crazy on it...just a simple tune for now.

SHOdded

A shorter OCI seems to be the cautious consensus solution so far.  I wonder if the manufacturer's "time to change the oil" monitor takes this into account when calculating oil life, and does that calculation try to maximize the health of the motor as well?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

EcoBrick Bob

Why is it more common in a DI engine vs port injection?  Realize FRP is between 400 & 2,200, but actual amount of fuel in chamber is same or less.

2010 EB engines use 5w-20 vs all later EB using 5w-30.  Was told by dealer and tuner(s) to use what factory recommends.  So, wouldn't 5w-20 be even more cause for concern?  I have never smelled gas in my oil, which I change myself.

Got slammed on SHO Forum by one guy for questioning all this. I certainly don't mind being wrong, I just want to know WHY and what we should do to keep this to a minimum.
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

FaSSt9602

I am no expert by any means, but it has something to do with (contrary to popular belief) the fact that DI motors always run a richer fuel map.  It has something to do with keeping NOx levels down.

Oil changes and trying to cut down on the short trips will keep it to a minimum...Either way, I doubt you will get dilution levels so high that they cause major problems.  If so, then there are bigger issues to worry about.
2010 EB Flex Limited Dark Ink Blue Metallic/White Suede two tone

Sadly it is the wife's car, so I can't go too crazy on it...just a simple tune for now.

FPO

Sorry for bumping a old thread.

I am new to these Ecoboost, I heard about the fuel dilution, so I sent in a sample.
here are my results...

looks like shorter OCI will be my path too( pending the results of my next sample)

SHOdded

What oil are you currently running?  Try switching to full synthetic (Royal Purple, Mobil 1, etc.) for lower volatility, less PCV emissions, and less "feedback" into the crankcase.

BiGMaC

Quote from: SHOdded on October 17, 2014, 09:48:11 AM
What oil are you currently running?  Try switching to full synthetic (Royal Purple, Mobil 1, etc.) for lower volatility, less PCV emissions, and less "feedback" into the crankcase.
Agree with this wholeheartedly!....
Currently Amsoil syn is my go-to oil as it beats them all in industry tests and in volatility it eclipses them....

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

FPO

Quote from: BiGMaC on October 17, 2014, 11:25:03 AM
Quote from: SHOdded on October 17, 2014, 09:48:11 AM
Agree with this wholeheartedly!....
Currently Amsoil syn is my go-to oil as it beats them all in industry tests and in volatility it eclipses them....

That sample was in it when I got it, so it was either Motorcraft or Valvoline ( What ever the Steelership was using)
It has AMSOIL ASL ( 5/30 signature series ) in it now. I will pull another sample about 1/2 way through my OCI

I am a Jobber with AMSOIL   so no need to sell me on the value of good  Synthetic oil :)

Here is my work car

SHOdded

Alrighty then :D  Yeah, I fuhgot about the "work car".  If you keep getting too much gas in the oil even after the Amsoil, I'd be surprised, unless of course one or more injectors suddenly let go.

FPO

Quote from: SHOdded on October 17, 2014, 12:41:25 PM
Alrighty then :D  Yeah, I fuhgot about the "work car".  If you keep getting too much gas in the oil even after the Amsoil, I'd be surprised, unless of course one or more injectors suddenly let go.
I will pull another sample  and go from there.

Maybe if I show that report to my wife  she will let me put a tune on it ;)

SHOdded

Yeah, might as well use the gas to go fast-er!