• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Testing Air Oil seperators

Started by ShoBoat, April 10, 2014, 10:59:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Hawk

Yea, I figured some was still getting though, but with the mill getting long in the tooth, these were nice to stop the oil smell during warmer days at startup and a noticeable lack of residue on the components, lines and connectors around the intake during maintenance. 
2017 Fusion Sport
GFB DivValve/165* Thermo
K&N Panel/CFM Breather
Ult Perf Int Garrett Core/MKZ oil cooler
FMS 70mm TB/ NGK .026/LMS V6 93

ShoBoat

Quote from: Tuner Boost on April 13, 2014, 03:56:43 PM
Oh, one other thing. Only the RX system corrects the PCV systems evacuation issue, adding another can  only dealing with the vapors after they have accumulated in the crankcase already and contaminated the oil.

Some of the other cans can be modified to do the same, but you will need the checkvalves, fittings, lines, etc. to accomplish this.

The RX system is complete with all needed.

To compare, you would want to use the RX single valve can for $199 if you dont want to correct the PCV system flaw.

Hey Turner Boost,
What I am trying to achieve through this simple experiment  is determining how much if any oil is being ingested through the intake tube (clean side) vs the PCV side, and 2 are the Moroso really that bad. (These are on loan from a friend) I know that the RX is superior in terms of the catch rate, and correcting flow (for your dual catch can). What you have done for the F150 is simply amazing from what I have seen and read. That said this thread seems to be predominantly about transverse mounted EBs, which as you know presents a different set of challenges in terms of mounting compared to the F150. I am eagerly awaiting the responses from those members with the RX mounted in their SHOs. I may or may not end up with a catch can in my own car, I can tell you this. If I do it will probably be the RX. I will take your advice and mount a simple compressor separator after the Moroso's and see what we get there. The Moroso is not that much cheaper in terms of cost. You need 2 cans and that is about $300.00. The RX is only $100 more, with the clean side separator. For a mod you will do once, I don't believe that cost is an issue.     

You will have to forgive my ignorance, the defect in the PCV system. Is this not present in all boosted cars? Like the CTS-V or ZR1? I am not familiar in how GM routes the PCV on their boosted cars. But from the CTS-V vid I would assume this would be the case.

A few questions, if efficient evacuation and constant is what we are looking for what about connecting a simple vacuum pump to the 2nd port on the RX? This would eliminate the need to drill into the intake tubing and would ensure a constant rate of evacuation, I understand that this would bypass routing the PVC gases back to the intake. However this would only happen under boost and would completely eliminate any chance of crud getting into the CAC. The RX would not be reliant on vacuum that may or may not be present in the intake tube. And with the RX before it there would be minimal chance of fouling the pump. It sounds complicated but with all the different configurations on the EB intake tubing depending on the car or truck, this would ensure that the system is performing at peak efficiency regardless of the application.
In mounting the RX, it seems that the only 2 locations that we are able to mount the unit (on the SHO) are above the exhaust manifold and behind the coolant reservoir. In comparison to the F150 which is mounted in front of the rad which is the coolest spot to put it. There is space to mount the RX there on the SHO, Flex and Explorer. However reaching the drain valve would be a real pain, is it possible to either hard plumb the tubing to a valve lower down. This way you could simply reach under the front bumper and turn the valve there. Or a have a remote release for valve attached to a cable release for example? This would really free up where the can could be mounted, and then mounted somewhere cooler to maximize the condensing effect.         
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

SwampRat

ShoBoat .... How much smoke ya got pouring out your ears ?
Just curious what is you job ?
I don't have enough time to think that hard ... L O L
Contributions appreciated .
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

ShoBoat

Quote from: SwampRat on April 13, 2014, 09:52:26 PM
ShoBoat .... How much smoke ya got pouring out your ears ?
Just curious what is you job ?
I don't have enough time to think that hard ... L O L
Contributions appreciated .
I am part of a secret government think tank..... oh wait that was my previous life.
I have been told that I think too much LOL, I am just trying to ensure that what I do is the best that I can and I am usually not satisfied with that will just have to do. And by judging by the mods on your SHO neither are you. Which is why I like to share ideas on here, hell if it makes it better for all of us then BONUS! 
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

BiGMaC

ShoBoat... good questions. I can answer at least the one about connections.

Tracy has told me that all the connections to the RX can, except the center top (exit) can be removed and replaced with different ones without damaging the can or compromising function... He and I talked about a remote drain location which is easily done removing the drain, replacing it with a fitting, and extending from there with fuel resistant tubing to a remotely placed drain valve,... so not a problem.

I too wonder the same things you asked... and I am still learning about the way our cars function.

BTW, ......I remember you from that think tank!  LOL

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

ShoBoat

Bigmac, I thought you looked familiar! I think this would work as a vacuum pump.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/140953736405
Or these
http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=up28+volvo&_pgn=1

BiGMaC

second link only goes to generic ebay page... no product.

Your idea is interesting... I'll be interested in the outcome.

Where do I look familiar from?

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

JimiJak

Quote from: BiGMaC on April 13, 2014, 11:02:42 PM
...the connections to the RX can, except the center top (exit)...

I think that's backwards...the center port that cannot be moved should be the access into the can, not egress. The two check valves that are installed on the other two ports identify the flow traveling away from the can; so those should be outlets x2 and the center is the inlet.
**please correct me if I'm wrong

Quote from: ShoBoat on April 13, 2014, 09:59:22 PM
I have been told that I think too much LOL, I am just trying to ensure that what I do is the best that I can and I am usually not satisfied with that will just have to do. Which is why I like to share ideas on here, hell if it makes it better for all of us then BONUS!

ShoBoat;
I think you and I are very similar in that regard.
I spent about 25 minutes staring into my engine bay this afternoon, pondering this very issue. ...plus who knows how long writing this post. LOL Oh well, that's what down time on the ambulance is for! (EMS - Earn Money Sleeping ...or in this case typing)

First, if it's ok; I would like to establish my interpretation of how the EB TxVerse PCV system works, so it can be broken down and examined by us all (and to make sure I'm understanding everything correctly).
NOTE: If you want to skip the breakdown, go to the end of the green type.
- The inlet port of the Rx can is located in the center, and fed from the PCV valve on the rear valve cover.
- PCV stands for Positive Crankcase Ventilation, which tells me  the gasses passing through this PCV-valve are being pushed out by pressure, rather than pulled by vacuum.
- PCV by definition, dictates that air pressure inside the crankcase is slightly higher than 1bar (1bar = standing atmospheric pressure).
- As the intake air flows ---> through the TB, ---> past the IM vacuum barb, ---> and through the IM itself, a venturi effect is caused on the IM vacuum barb, resulting in a pulling effect on the gasses that were being pushed out of the PCV valve. They are now being pulled into the IM.
- This is what tells the system which direction to flow, since the positive pressure inside the crankcase would otherwise try to escape in all directions.

**stick with me here**

- On the "clean side" of the OEM set up, air enters via the airbox, ---> and is drawn through the split intake pipes to the front and rear of the engine. In the front intake pipe only is a barbed port, with a line running to the front valve cover; this feeds the clean air into the crankcase that supplies the positive pressure for the PCV system to work.

The problem with the EB PCV system is that under boost, the PCV valve (located o the rear valve cover) closes, and does not allow for ventilation of the positive air pressure within the crankcase that is still being created by the clean side inlet AND "blow-by" in the cylinders; as a result the gasses are now forced to go the wrong way to escape. The flow has been reversed and the gasses are evacuated through the always open port on the front valve cover (clean side). These gasses (and oils) are now being sucked through the intake pipe, turbo, intercooler (/CAC), TB, IM, etc.

Am I understanding all of this correctly?

The plethora of information Tracy has been able to provide us has identified two major concerns with the EB platform:
A: Intake Valve Coking
B: Harmful sludge accumulating in the CAC

Problem A: is caused by the evacuated gasses/oils, from the rear PCV vent under non-boost conditions passing through the IM and onto the valves;
- This is what the catch can is there to collect, non-boost operation gasses/oil mixture

Problem B :
- During boost, the gas oil mixture is evacuated backwards through the front valve cover port and enters the intake system. The mixture then becomes trapped in the intercooler (where it is damaging), until it is 'gulped' out in large quantities and continues through the intake system resulting in contact with intake valves (and potentially leading to hydrolock).
- This is what the separator is there for; to separate the oil from the air being drawn through the intake pipes and into the CAC. The oil gets trapped and drips back down into the crankcase, and the air flows through the cap and re-enters the intake system.

SO...Here are my questions:
1. If the air is returned into the IM vacuum barb after being filtered / separated through the catch can; why does the catch can have a second outlet, that is plumbed into both front and rear intake pipes?
- If the can is there to separate the oil and particulate from the air, shouldn't the positive pressure from the PCV system and the vacuum from the IM vacuum barb supply enough draw?
- I can only surmise that the second outlet is there to supply additional vacuum to the catch can to aid in evacuation through the PCV and out of the catch can. Possibly due to the fact that the PCV system has been extended 800% from its factory design via tubing and the addition of a can.

2. If the second outlet is required for additional vacuum, why does it have to go to both the front AND rear intake pipes?

3. The problem with PainterPatt's Flex install was that the clean side separator was getting too much vacuum (due to the clean side line being too proximal the turbos compared to the evac line from the can), which kept the system in a constant state of running backwards (like it does when under boost with the PCV valve closed); the coalescing material in the separator was doing all of the work, rather than acting as a back-up for the catch can.
- This was resolved by extending the clean side line, and installing it where there would be less vacuum supplied to the separator.
- What if the second outlet from the can was attached to the OE barb on the front intake pipe only, rather than tapped into the front and rear intake pipes? THEN, the clean side line was tapped into the intake pipe near the airbox? Does a second line need to be drilled in the rear pipe?
- Or better yet, is there a way to find out how much vacuum is at each barb? If so, it would be interesting to see how much draw is needed for each aspect of the system, then make the determination as to which line would be better served where... Maybe even a system that requires no drilling.

4. If Tracy is correct in his explanation that the EB is under boost 80% of the time, which is why the reverse flow is so hazardous to our platform; Is the coalescing material in the new oil cap enough to fully protect our CAC?
- I hate to purchase two catch cans, one for boost and the other for non-boost operation...but is that what it would take to be fully effective?

Just seems odd to me that the F-150 with virtually the same motor, mounted differently, is turning out gallons of this crap into the can...and we're not finding relatively any. I too am very curious to see what the difference is between the front and rear PCV ports, and which is producing more crap...but I'm not sure the Moroso can is going to give us that data. (Not that I'm not grateful for your attempt ShoBoat! Experimentation is paramount, and I respect how you addressed the concerns of your intentions initially in this thread) Not to take every word Tracy says as Gospel, but I believe he's absolutely correct with his theory of the Bernouli effect on such a small receptacle. Anything that does enter the can is being pulled right back out.

If you made it this far; WOW! I'm impressed...I don't know if I would have had it in me if I were you. LOL But, that means you're as concerned with the details as ShoBoat and I. Congrats! You get the tech-nerd merit badge we hand out at the meetings.

As usual, Thank you to all the people that are helping with this project; any and all feedback about this stuff is greatly appreciated! Let's get this system optimized!

Hopefully this helps: (excuse the shoddy 'Paint' drawing LOL; hope it's not too confusing)
Outlined in green is the flow of PCV gasses while in non-boost operations.
Outlined in red is the flow of PCV gasses while under boost.
"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed." - Eleanor Roosevelt

2014 XSport Black Betty Build

BiGMaC

JimiJak... You are correct about the action of the ports on the RX can.

I really would like to see Tracy's responses rather than our conjectures about JimiJaks questions and mine... Thanks guys.

I too am anxious to see Tracy's response... As I am about to to have a custom set of  ceramic coated hard turbo intake pipes fabbed I want the first install to be the best one there will be a separate pipe for each turbo with each exiting the filter box separately... don't want multiple holes... and prefer not to drill.  So I want to be able to have bungs put on the pipes here's a slight variation on the questions you had.

What is the optimal location for the intake of air from the system into the intake in a two separate pipe turbo feed system?  can it be put into the side of the OEM airbox on the pre-filter side... which might use the filter for an extra level of protection?

SwampRat

BigMac ... on this CAI you are having fabricated there are two pipes exiting the filter box assy . How is the actual filter element attached  inside the box ? Is there a conjoined juction or does the element have two separate openings ?

2021 Edge ST

BiGMaC

Just a bump to the top for these questions..

Quote from: BiGMaC on April 14, 2014, 09:17:13 AM
JimiJak... You are correct about the action of the ports on the RX can.

I really would like to see Tracy's responses rather than our conjectures about JimiJaks questions and mine... Thanks guys.

I too am anxious to see Tracy's response... As I am about to to have a custom set of  ceramic coated hard turbo intake pipes fabbed I want the first install to be the best one there will be a separate pipe for each turbo with each exiting the filter box separately... don't want multiple holes... and prefer not to drill.  So I want to be able to have bungs put on the pipes here's a slight variation on the questions you had.

What is the optimal location for the intake of air from the system into the intake in a two separate pipe turbo feed system?  can it be put into the side of the OEM airbox on the pre-filter side... which might use the filter for an extra level of protection?

Quote from: JimiJak on April 14, 2014, 04:55:00 AM
Quote from: BiGMaC on April 13, 2014, 11:02:42 PM
...the connections to the RX can, except the center top (exit)...

I think that's backwards...the center port that cannot be moved should be the access into the can, not egress. The two check valves that are installed on the other two ports identify the flow traveling away from the can; so those should be outlets x2 and the center is the inlet.
**please correct me if I'm wrong

Quote from: ShoBoat on April 13, 2014, 09:59:22 PM
I have been told that I think too much LOL, I am just trying to ensure that what I do is the best that I can and I am usually not satisfied with that will just have to do. Which is why I like to share ideas on here, hell if it makes it better for all of us then BONUS!

ShoBoat;
I think you and I are very similar in that regard.
I spent about 25 minutes staring into my engine bay this afternoon, pondering this very issue. ...plus who knows how long writing this post. LOL Oh well, that's what down time on the ambulance is for! (EMS - Earn Money Sleeping ...or in this case typing)

First, if it's ok; I would like to establish my interpretation of how the EB TxVerse PCV system works, so it can be broken down and examined by us all (and to make sure I'm understanding everything correctly).
NOTE: If you want to skip the breakdown, go to the end of the green type.
- The inlet port of the Rx can is located in the center, and fed from the PCV valve on the rear valve cover.
- PCV stands for Positive Crankcase Ventilation, which tells me  the gasses passing through this PCV-valve are being pushed out by pressure, rather than pulled by vacuum.
- PCV by definition, dictates that air pressure inside the crankcase is slightly higher than 1bar (1bar = standing atmospheric pressure).
- As the intake air flows ---> through the TB, ---> past the IM vacuum barb, ---> and through the IM itself, a venturi effect is caused on the IM vacuum barb, resulting in a pulling effect on the gasses that were being pushed out of the PCV valve. They are now being pulled into the IM.
- This is what tells the system which direction to flow, since the positive pressure inside the crankcase would otherwise try to escape in all directions.

**stick with me here**

- On the "clean side" of the OEM set up, air enters via the airbox, ---> and is drawn through the split intake pipes to the front and rear of the engine. In the front intake pipe only is a barbed port, with a line running to the front valve cover; this feeds the clean air into the crankcase that supplies the positive pressure for the PCV system to work.

The problem with the EB PCV system is that under boost, the PCV valve (located o the rear valve cover) closes, and does not allow for ventilation of the positive air pressure within the crankcase that is still being created by the clean side inlet AND "blow-by" in the cylinders; as a result the gasses are now forced to go the wrong way to escape. The flow has been reversed and the gasses are evacuated through the always open port on the front valve cover (clean side). These gasses (and oils) are now being sucked through the intake pipe, turbo, intercooler (/CAC), TB, IM, etc.

Am I understanding all of this correctly?

The plethora of information Tracy has been able to provide us has identified two major concerns with the EB platform:
A: Intake Valve Coking
B: Harmful sludge accumulating in the CAC

Problem A: is caused by the evacuated gasses/oils, from the rear PCV vent under non-boost conditions passing through the IM and onto the valves;
- This is what the catch can is there to collect, non-boost operation gasses/oil mixture

Problem B :
- During boost, the gas oil mixture is evacuated backwards through the front valve cover port and enters the intake system. The mixture then becomes trapped in the intercooler (where it is damaging), until it is 'gulped' out in large quantities and continues through the intake system resulting in contact with intake valves (and potentially leading to hydrolock).
- This is what the separator is there for; to separate the oil from the air being drawn through the intake pipes and into the CAC. The oil gets trapped and drips back down into the crankcase, and the air flows through the cap and re-enters the intake system.

SO...Here are my questions:
1. If the air is returned into the IM vacuum barb after being filtered / separated through the catch can; why does the catch can have a second outlet, that is plumbed into both front and rear intake pipes?
- If the can is there to separate the oil and particulate from the air, shouldn't the positive pressure from the PCV system and the vacuum from the IM vacuum barb supply enough draw?
- I can only surmise that the second outlet is there to supply additional vacuum to the catch can to aid in evacuation through the PCV and out of the catch can. Possibly due to the fact that the PCV system has been extended 800% from its factory design via tubing and the addition of a can.

2. If the second outlet is required for additional vacuum, why does it have to go to both the front AND rear intake pipes?

3. The problem with PainterPatt's Flex install was that the clean side separator was getting too much vacuum (due to the clean side line being too proximal the turbos compared to the evac line from the can), which kept the system in a constant state of running backwards (like it does when under boost with the PCV valve closed); the coalescing material in the separator was doing all of the work, rather than acting as a back-up for the catch can.
- This was resolved by extending the clean side line, and installing it where there would be less vacuum supplied to the separator.
- What if the second outlet from the can was attached to the OE barb on the front intake pipe only, rather than tapped into the front and rear intake pipes? THEN, the clean side line was tapped into the intake pipe near the airbox? Does a second line need to be drilled in the rear pipe?
- Or better yet, is there a way to find out how much vacuum is at each barb? If so, it would be interesting to see how much draw is needed for each aspect of the system, then make the determination as to which line would be better served where... Maybe even a system that requires no drilling.

4. If Tracy is correct in his explanation that the EB is under boost 80% of the time, which is why the reverse flow is so hazardous to our platform; Is the coalescing material in the new oil cap enough to fully protect our CAC?
- I hate to purchase two catch cans, one for boost and the other for non-boost operation...but is that what it would take to be fully effective?

Just seems odd to me that the F-150 with virtually the same motor, mounted differently, is turning out gallons of this crap into the can...and we're not finding relatively any. I too am very curious to see what the difference is between the front and rear PCV ports, and which is producing more crap...but I'm not sure the Moroso can is going to give us that data. (Not that I'm not grateful for your attempt ShoBoat! Experimentation is paramount, and I respect how you addressed the concerns of your intentions initially in this thread) Not to take every word Tracy says as Gospel, but I believe he's absolutely correct with his theory of the Bernouli effect on such a small receptacle. Anything that does enter the can is being pulled right back out.

If you made it this far; WOW! I'm impressed...I don't know if I would have had it in me if I were you. LOL But, that means you're as concerned with the details as ShoBoat and I. Congrats! You get the tech-nerd merit badge we hand out at the meetings.

As usual, Thank you to all the people that are helping with this project; any and all feedback about this stuff is greatly appreciated! Let's get this system optimized!

Hopefully this helps: (excuse the shoddy 'Paint' drawing LOL; hope it's not too confusing)
Outlined in green is the flow of PCV gasses while in non-boost operations.
Outlined in red is the flow of PCV gasses while under boost.

BiGMaC

Kevin...
the tubes are completely separate.  The box is reconstructed containing the filter and is sealed under all circumstances....

I respectfully request again that we get an answer to the questions from Tracy to JimiJak's questions and mine before we bury them in our postings... He is the only one who will have the answers...

Thanks for you consideration my friend...

SwampRat

BigMac ... Perhaps you should send a PM or call Tracy  as you seem to have done so on prior occassions and ask him to address you concerns and make a reply here . He has done so for me on multiple occassions . This will also ensure your questions don't get buried and are answered in a timely manner .
It will also free up this thread for others with questions , concerns or further ideas.
My questions are valid and perhaps would provide insight to Tracy so that your questions may be answered.
None the less you still did not answer my questions , which is odd as you are usually a little more forthcoming.

2021 Edge ST

ShoBoat

The think tank lol.
Apparently the Volvo's came with electric brake booster vacuum pumps. They can be had for about $50 on eBay. The more I think about it the more I like the idea of not using the intake piping for evacuation under boost.
That was supposed to be the 2nd link.

Quote from: BiGMaC on April 14, 2014, 01:40:35 AM
second link only goes to generic ebay page... no product.

Your idea is interesting... I'll be interested in the outcome.

Where do I look familiar from?

JimiJak

I'm sure Tracy can back-track to his last post just like the rest of us. ;)

My only concern regarding the stand alone vacuum pump idea is that it would provide a static level of draw rather than being variable with the demand from the engine. Yes?
"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed." - Eleanor Roosevelt

2014 XSport Black Betty Build