• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Xylene and other Stuff for Home Brew octane boost

Started by SwampRat, April 10, 2014, 08:18:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampRat

Interesting link below on " home brew " Octane boost with Xylene and other nasty stuff ....

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/octanebooster.html

Thoughts , opinions or experience needed .
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

BiGMaC

Opinion my only here.
For those that don't know I am licensed physician since 1980, teach in a dual degree med school program for education of physicians and Master's of Public Health program. 

Don't do this if you don't have a proper lab to mix and a VERY safe place to store these compounds.  Plastic and rubber don't contain these organic solvents and all but the most expensive glove (you can't just go buy them) offer essentially no protection, they are extremely volatile -vapors damage the lungs/eyes, etc. and they are carcinogens as well as cellular poisons....  Let someone else mix it and be responsible for injuries and damage (not just your car).  You can google most info.  Safe storage is difficult and expensive at best... special fire control precautions should be taken and water is inadequate.

Stay with meth, race gas, ethanol, or NOS if you want to add to your fuel.

I must discourage this activity.  I am advocating nothing... except health safety for all of you guys.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

TSS

Thanks. Good info for the home chemists here Doc!
2010 Steel Blue Metallic MKS Ecoboost: LME 3-Bar Tuned; tint; 20" Factory rims Permachromed

2017 Summit White Buick Envision Premium AWD 2.0 Turbo
2017 Silver Cadillac XTS V-Sport Platinum  3.6 Twin Turbo; LME tuned.

FUSIONEB

I'll laugh if/when the OP tries this for their self and blows up their ride. Moron. 

:nuclear:

SwampRat

Quote from: FUSIONEB on April 10, 2014, 09:41:49 AM
I'll laugh if/when the OP tries this for their self and blows up their ride. Moron. 

:nuclear:

This tells me you dont know shi★  from shineola  ...

There are many out there in the DR arena that use these chemicals safely

Yes , I Fully undestand the Health risks pointed out by  BigMac , I'm not an idiot.
I've been around Hazardous Chemicals and materials throughout my career moves .
Take adequate saftey precautions such as proper gloves ( available  on line ) ,  proper shielded eye protection and clothing to cover arms , legs
Preferable to do mixing outside.

By the way Meth and  NOS  " blow up " too ...

Unless you live in a bubble there are health risks associated with most of our lives .
How many here smoke ( not just cigarettes ) drink alcoholic beverages or are taking  " benifical " prescription Medications  , a lot of these meds do more long term harm to people than what a lot of the  Medical / Health Care / Pharmaceutical  "  Proffesionals "  would like us to believe .

I'm not saying you fit into that category BigMac .

Lastly  what about the members that jockularily post in " kill of the day "  or  " 0 to whatever mph  " Posts ?
Pretty Damned dangerous Stuff  ! !   ....  Hell I do it myself ...L O L

Life is a delicate balancing act meant to be ENJOYED through personal decision
Making choices so that it can be fulfilling and meaningful .

Dull and Drab sucks and being PC does too.

2021 Edge ST

Frozen Taurus

Do you guys get NOS octane booster? I have had great luck tuning with it on my Talon. I use the Race blend which has Nitro Methane in it ....raised my 94 octane to 100 with one bottle. I could run 30+ psi with no knock on it.

I remember looking into toulene back in the day and I had a hard time finding it in larger quantities for a good price
2011 Tuxedo Black SHO non PP, K&N drop in, TCE Big Brake Kit, Megan Racing Coilovers
My other car is a 447 awhp Talon

SHOdded

All BiGMaC was doing was advocating safety concerns, and for the average person, the risks far outweigh the benefits.  NOW, if you know how to routinely handle such hazardous chemicals, more power to you, but you would be among the "elite few" who can do so.  Also consider the risks to your family, even more so if you are considering having children.  There are people out there that will sniff any volatile organic compound, just for thrills.

That said, let the discussion on xylene/toluene etc. continue!  :D
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SwampRat

Understood  SHOdded , others here have discussed it's use some , just looking for a little actual user input .

Quote from: crash712us on April 10, 2014, 01:09:35 AM
Quote from: painterpatt on April 09, 2014, 10:41:11 PM
My bad Mike. Still jealous of that Caddy though lol...... Now to find some Xylene....
I use toluene sherwin williams caries. Not to cheap though, I've heard people use Xylene or MEK as well. But I feel more comfortable with toluene cause it is actual component of gas.

2021 Edge ST