• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

P0020 DTC

Started by mbehna, March 30, 2014, 02:51:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbehna

Went for a drive yesterday and my 2014 SHO lit up the check engine light. Of course, I used the LMS tuner to read the code and it was P0020. Googled it, went back to stock tune and baby'ed my car back home.

Today, I took it to the dealer and they had to keep it over the weekend because they could not get it to it in time. The car has less than 7k miles on it.

Hopefully, I get good news on Monday.
2014 SHO
2001 Mustang GT

SHOdded

Good luck!  Hopefully just a sensor or solenoid, and nothing mechanical.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

mbehna

Car is still @ dealer and they called me to say that the diagnostics are inconclusive.

So I researched it the code and according to the http://www.fordobdcode.com/p0020-ford web site

P0020 - "A" Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit (Bank 2)

OBD Trouble Code P0020 "A" Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit
What does the code mean? OBD-II Code P0020 definition:
A P0020 code definition:the VVT (variable valve timing) or VCT (variable camshaft timing) components and the car's PCM (powertrain control module). That consists of an oil control valve (OCV), also called a solenoid valve and other components. Basically the check engine light and associated P0020 trouble code means that the voltage in the circuit has fallen below a set limit for a specific amount of time (varies by make/model/engine). Bank 2 is the side of the engine that doesn't contain cylinder #1. Note: This DTC is nearly identical to P0010
Symptoms of OBD code P0020
Check Engine Light illuminated (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) Rough running other symptoms may also be present
Causes of the OBD-II code P0020
A code P0020 may mean that one or more of the following has happened: Faulty oil control valve (OCV) Open or short in the VVT/VCT circuit Open or short in the OCV / solenoid valve Damaged computer (PCM)
Solutions Some recommended troubleshooting and repair steps are: Carefully inspect the Bank 2 VVT/VCT system circuit wiring and connectors, repair as required with a warm engine, test the operation of the OCV, replace/repair as needed
Related Codes P0010 P0011 P0012 P0021 P0022
2014 SHO
2001 Mustang GT

crash712us

The actuators have been a problem in other for engines, my wife's escape they went bad in and is well know problem TSB for them also.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

MeanKS

hopefully the dealer won't give you any trouble regarding the reflash back to stock tune.

MKS-EB...

Needmoreboost

The dealer should fix any problems under warranty coverage.  Good luck.
2014 Mustang GT/CS: white
Auto with custom Unleashed Tuning
Past honorable mentions: 13 SHO, 08 SRT4, 07 350Z, 03 Cobra, 03 Focus SVT, 00 GT Mustang, 91 LX Notch, etc.

BiGMaC

Quote from: DRII on April 11, 2014, 08:43:54 AM
hopefully the dealer won't give you any trouble regarding the reflash back to stock tune.

It might end up a discussion point... but likely only if Ford corporate field engineers get involved.  routine OBDII screening can only tell when and how many time the port was accessed.... I have told my dealer that I routinely do so with my MX and that any autozone will do it... as well as many gauges and programs (like torque) on the market.    Even then I would also argue that the TSB is there proving Ford is aware of this as a possible known manufacturing defect present at assembly antedating any tune... e.g., that the tune is not the cause.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

mbehna

It took a week but I finally got my car back and the dealer did ask about whether I had a tuner... I said no! I had reflashed it to stock before turning it in.

They tested all the components and everything was fine. They reset the PCM and it is driving fine now.

I will wait another week before I put the LMS tunes back.

If someone knows what TSB # is associated with the actuators, I would be most grateful. Might need that info in case it comes back.

2014 SHO
2001 Mustang GT

mbehna

After a week at the dealership, I got the car back.
Drove it around for ~350 miles and everything was fine. 
Was ~50 miles from home when the check engine light came on. Pulled the DTC and it is the same as before P0020.
Drove it to the dealership late in the day and they said bring it back in the morning. Drove off the lot, and less than 3 miles later, the check engine light went off.
Drove around for ~100 miles, light was off.
This morning, I am driving to work and the light is back on.

So it is going back to the dealer... I am thinking that the solenoid has gone bad or is defective.

Updates will follow when I know more.
2014 SHO
2001 Mustang GT

mbehna

I got my "baby" back yesterday from the dealership.

The problem in a nutshell: a loose pin in the wiring loom!!!
2014 SHO
2001 Mustang GT

SHOdded

Glad that's all it was!  Bit early for wiring problems, but hey ...  Did they say exactly where it was?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

mbehna

The pin in the plug was loose when the tech tugged at it, it just came out.
2014 SHO
2001 Mustang GT

FoMoCoSHO

I just had this code pop up tonight.

That will put a damper on my weekend datalogging/retune shenanigans.

ZSHO

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on October 30, 2015, 08:13:32 PM

Any symptoms beside the code,rough idle,hesitation.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: ZSHO on October 30, 2015, 08:58:57 PM
Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on October 30, 2015, 08:13:32 PM

Any symptoms beside the code,rough idle,hesitation.  Z
Nope, running fine and no parameters showing anything amiss.