• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

High level detail, 2013 Flex Tuxedo Black

Started by Lanson, March 19, 2014, 11:46:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanson

Hey guys, lots of great detailers here so I thought I'd throw my hat in the ring.

I call this a 10/10ths detail job.  Technically however I didn't do the engine bay, so it can't quite be *perfect*, but still the outside looks pretty darn good I think.

No camera trickery here, just shooting Auto on a Nikon DSLR, gloss is not over-shot.

New lighting and position

For me, the most important thing to accentuate in the Tux Black paint, is the special silica-glass flake.  So, the products and process I chose and continue to use is tailored to that.  I like to use Chemical Guys products, mostly.  I get good bang for the buck, they are adaptable and easy to work with, and they smell amazing, so it makes the "job" more enjoyable to me.

Start with clay bar replacement, a "surface-cleansing mitt"  I use the fine grade one, with a soap and clay lube mixture in a separate bucket, while washing the car.

I like using the foam gun I got from CG, this wash was with a high-concentrate of Citrus Wash & Gloss, which is strong enough to strip the previous products creating a prep for new stuff.

I like to use the plush, thick microfibers from Microfiber Madness to dry, especially with prone-to-scratch Tux Black. 

After I got it cleaned and stripped, I took account of the little accumulated nicks and scratches since its last major detail, and used CG Optical Grade #36 polish on a white 5.5" Hexlogic pad with my Habor Freight DA.  Solid little unit as long as you throw away the included backing pad and get a good one.  I didn't need to go any more aggressive than #36 to correct the little scuffs and abrasions, and minimize the chips I found, so this was as deep as I had to go.

Next I hit the paint with CG Glossworkz glaze, on a black 5.5" Hex pad with my DA, on a mid-speed setting.  This set up almost instantly with each panel, and quickly buffed off. 

Next was a whole-body coat of CG Blacklight, the product I consider most responsible for bringing the metal flake out.  Using Glossworkz and Blacklight is a bit of an overlap of products, as both do a glazing effect.  However, each brings its own unique properties to result, so I like them both.  With Blacklight, I ran a black 5.5" Hex pad with a lower-mid speed setting over the whole car's paint, and let that sit for 30+ minutes while I micro-detailed bits and pieces of the car (which I'll explain in a minute)

The final seal coat was with JetSeal, a really great final step product in my opinion, for the conditions we see here in Vegas.  It helps with the sandy/dusty air we have, keeping contaminants off the paint and definitely does better than Carnauba based products in the extreme heat we tend to have, especially considering the reflected heat off the black pavement.  JetSeal is applied over the whole car, glass, plastic, paint, wheels, etc.  That set up for about an hour while I did the interior.

So regarding those micro-detail things mentioned earlier, I used detail sticks (like cotton swabs but more sturdy and made of non-scratching foam ends) to go over all the textured black plastic with alcohol first, then with a mixture coat of Mother's Back to Black and CG G6 Hypercoat.  The mix was about 1:1, which I like for a nice consistency and overall shine.  It isn't too matte, and not too shiny, but well protected.  This was also used on the tires and buffed off.  The detail sticks helped get into the many crevices this car has, without getting product on the curing Blacklight on the paint.

Interior was done with CG Inner clean and CG Leather in a Bottle, both good products for the job.

Final mist of V7 over the whole car before I snapped the pics, and this is what I got.
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

SHOdded

Very nice writeup and results.  Some very good products in the mix :)  How much time did it take you overall?

I'll tell you though, and I'm in no way hawking their products, if you use a combination of CP Reflect and CP CQF, you will make that flake REALLY pop.  I think you have the skillz to become a CQF installer, and should look into it.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

mval

lanson-nice work & great right up. thanks again for the writeup on your wheels a little while back. got the items you recommended from CG before got wheels so was ready to make them shine & keep them as clean as yours.
mikev
'10 lme 4+93, 160t, 3 bar, w/cust headrest & evo gauge pod,md design cai, ppe dpes, borla cback , vertini 20" cust wheels w/conti dws, ebc slotted rotors w/red pads & mgp caliper covers, viper remote start, cust dipped eng cover,fascia, cai & lids,decals, custom bra, black wrapped spoiler
2017 chally scat pack shaker yellow jacket dd, so sho can be a show queen

Lanson

Quote from: SHOdded on March 19, 2014, 11:56:07 AM
Very nice writeup and results.  Some very good products in the mix :)  How much time did it take you overall?

I'll tell you though, and I'm in no way hawking their products, if you use a combination of CP Reflect and CP CQF, you will make that flake REALLY pop.  I think you have the skillz to become a CQF installer, and should look into it.

See, I saw that latest thread about those products, and I didn't think it worked as well on the flake effect.  The gloss is unreal with it, but I'm still on the fence with the rest.

Also, there are two rules I have about detailing and products..  1.  Never use a product that works like an extra permanent coat.  2.  Never use a product that is sold only to certain people.  My reasons for this are many, but a few of them revolve around my viva la DIY attitude toward audio, modding, and indeed, detailing.  I also have used coating products in the past, and I've detailed around products like that in the past, and it left a very sour taste in my mouth.  Worst-ever was a product that eventually became part of the Blue Coral coating line.  It was an acrylic liquid that hardened, and became pretty much permanent short of wet-sanding it off.  This was before the internet was a usable, daily visited "thing" and could teach me that such a product is horrible, so forgive the ignorance.

There are some products they have that look extremely intriguing to me, the IronX stuff is something I've been eying lately for example.  Maybe I'll tiptoe through their lineup and see what's what.

This detail took about 5 hours including interior and wheel polishing.  Special attention to the nooks and crannies that aren't often touched took about an hour of that, in fairness.  The Flex is known for having places that are crazy hard to reach and clean, and the sheer square footage of the beast slows me down.

Thank you for the compliments!
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

Lanson

Also, I wanted to add that this particular car has the most orange-peel from the factory, of any car I've owned, so short of breaking down and wet-sanding the whole car, I think I'm at the peak of what I can do with this particular paint job.

SHOdded

You make some very good points, Lanson!  I remember the days when I would spend about 3 hours every weekend on my Tempo and later the SHO washing/waxing.  Getting a chance to know your car so intimately and often is a favorite memory of mine.  And yeah, there were some pretty BAD products (not to mention advice) out there.

Let's just say you don't want to look at orange peel nowadays, it's everywhere.  Look at the new GM paintjobs, or heck even Ferrari!

V7 is an excellent product for metallic pop, here are some others I have seen used & recommended:

CG Celeste Detaglio Wax
Esoteric Signature Wax
Blackfire Midnight Sun Wax
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Lanson

Mike Philips is well known for the saying, pick something you like and use it often.

I love that.

SHOdded

BiGMaC

Lanson... Excellent write-up   :bigthanx:   ....and absolutely stellar results!  :thumb:  Way to go!  I'm very impressed.

I also like CG products (Honeydew is what I feed my foam cannon) and a lot of good products and detailing hints... always a bit tough from pics... but I do believe, as you say, that your combo gets more pop from the "metal flake" appearing silica in the tux black.  Great Job with this!

Also good info on the Harbor Freight DA.... should save folks some money without trading off quality.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

mjhpadi

Great write up, and very good job explaining what products you used to get a great looking result.  I am in agreement with you about products that aren't available to the general public, but I will go one step further, I'm also not crazy about any product that warns you about damaging the finish if not used correctly. I really prefer products that most anyone can use and won't damage the finish even if you don't do everything correctly or if you don't have a lot of experience.  I think that's why I really like Adam's Polishes, you can get really great results and none of their products will damage the finish...however, there are other great products out there that will do the same, but they are not inexpensive, but I've found they are well worth the additional cost with the fact that it normally takes less product to do the detail and the results are head and shoulders above the inexpensive products.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

QuickSilver

Uh Lanson, you *really* get intimate with your detail products don't you ;)  I think Quicksilver is lucky to get a nice waxing with some Zymol and some Lexol on the soft parts of the interior :-[
AJ

2014 Ingot Silver Explorer Sport- LMS V3 Tune, AirRaid CAI, Hi_flow Catted DP's to Complete dual 2.5" exhaust, 19"X 9.5"TSW Panorama Rotary Forged/powdercoated Rims, Cree LED Foglights, Hoping for those Megan coilovers to be developed...

Lanson

Quote from: QuickSilver on March 19, 2014, 05:06:11 PM
Uh Lanson, you *really* get intimate with your detail products don't you ;)  I think Quicksilver is lucky to get a nice waxing with some Zymol and some Lexol on the soft parts of the interior :-[

Zymol is a strange brand.  There is the Walmart type which as I understand it, is actually made by Turtle Wax, and then there's the "real" Zymol.  It is actually a hot subject on the interwebs of detailing, as it turns out. 

I do this on the side, which merely fuels the fire for more products.  It is a "jobby" (a hobby that can bring some extra cash in.)  If you were semi-local, I could get to work for you on Quicksilver.

Silvers and other light metallic paints do well with a very high gloss glaze with a top-coat of something, maybe like Concours 50/50 wax (a Carnauba) on top.  This warms up the color reflection and makes it look more liquid.  More work but better results.

DJE624

Very nice job.  I will have to come back to this thread again!