• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Turbo leak-----Nope---New PTU

Started by SoCalSHO, March 13, 2014, 12:29:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

I am sure they have made incremental changes and improvements, but it seems the basic design remains unaltered.  I do believe they have been using Haldex all along, tho the relevancy of that is undetermined.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SoCalSHO

Quote from: QuickSilver on March 13, 2014, 06:25:18 PM
Quote from: SoCalSHO on March 13, 2014, 12:44:59 AM
Kinda wondering if the racing contributed/caused this.

Uh, this post was sarcasm right?? You have how many dragstrip launches on a drivetrain making 35% more torque than stock?? There's no free lunch, racing stresses componants, componants fail when they are over their design limits OR are repetatively taken to the limit. Why ya think Mike (4drHtRd) dumped his much stressed project car...
Quote from: QuickSilver on March 13, 2014, 06:25:18 PM
Quote from: SoCalSHO on March 13, 2014, 12:44:59 AM
Kinda wondering if the racing contributed/caused this.

Uh, this post was sarcasm right?? You have how many dragstrip launches on a drivetrain making 35% more torque than stock?? There's no free lunch, racing stresses componants, componants fail when they are over their design limits OR are repetatively taken to the limit. Why ya think Mike (4drHtRd) dumped his much stressed project car...
Sorry, I cant type sarcasm. But yes. Yes I completely understand I have to pay to play. And as soon as I get back from Vegas, I will be doing the same thing.
Robert
2010 Met White
GH tuned, 3 Bar, upgraded turbos, 91 Oct
K&N drop-in or airaid, Corsa Cat-back
1/8 Mile 8.380@83.42MPH

SoCalSHO

Quote from: IHeartGroceries on March 13, 2014, 07:17:11 PM
No matter the cause, I truly think keeping the fluid fresh would have prevented or prolonged it.

Still can't fathom the sparse fluid capacity though. Makes no sense.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Yes, totally agree with this.
Robert
2010 Met White
1/8 Mile 8.380@83.42MPH

mjhpadi

I had my PTU fluid changed at 25K and I would NEVER go more then 30K without changing it. The more I see the more I think the stress on the PTU is stressing the grease and it needs to be changed on a regular basis, much more then recommended.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

BiGMaC

Quote from: mjhpadi on March 13, 2014, 10:28:45 PM
I had my PTU fluid changed at 25K and I would NEVER go more then 30K without changing it. The more I see the more I think the stress on the PTU is stressing the grease and it needs to be changed on a regular basis, much more then recommended.

I am 100% with you on the PTU service Mark.  :thumb:

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

bpd1151

I swap my PTU fluid twice a year.

Regardless of miles accrued.

Once in Spring. Once in Fall.

I'm actually seriously contemplating drilling / tapping the housing, to install my own drain hole to make performing this service, a lil less of a headache.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

BiGMaC

Quote from: bpd1151 on March 14, 2014, 02:40:41 AM
I swap my PTU fluid twice a year.

Regardless of miles accrued.

Once in Spring. Once in Fall.

I'm actually seriously contemplating drilling / tapping the housing, to install my own drain hole to make performing this service, a lil less of a headache.

bpd... when you service it at the intervals you use is the oil liquid enough to evacuate?... The ones Pictured here that failed looked like they were full of tar.  Do you pump the fluid out? ... and does it still flow and look like oil?

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

bpd1151

Never like oil, but not anywhere near the paste like sludge pictured in this thread.

Suck it out with a pump & the viscosity appears like ummm..... what comes to mind..... like ketchup perhaps?

On the verge of turning thick, but certainly some degree of fluidity left in it.

Not sure if that makes sense? :dunno:

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

BiGMaC

Quote from: bpd1151 on March 14, 2014, 03:13:40 AM
Never like oil, but not anywhere near the paste like sludge pictured in this thread.

Suck it out with a pump & the viscosity appears like ummm..... what comes to mind..... like ketchup perhaps?

On the verge of turning thick, but certainly some degree of fluidity left in it.

Not sure if that makes sense? :dunno:

Thanks... Good info that helps to get it to make sense.  :thumb:

IHeartGroceries

Haha! Wow. Ketchup.

What are you filling back into it?
I feel like there's some room for improvement, possibly with just upgrading gear oil.
Perhaps one that is better suited or tolerated for excessive heat and heat cycles...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP

Joleat

It looks like this will be next on my list. I may have to visit BITOG to see which available oils are most heat resistant.
Project: MKSinister-2011 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost-Tuxedo Black Metallic Exterior-Black Ultimate Leather Interior-EcoBoost Appearance Package-Unleashed SCT X4-3Bar MAP-SP534 Spark Plugs-Power Stop Drilled and Slotted Rotors and Evolution Ceramic Brake Pads-General G-Max AS-03 Tires-Debadged-Color Matched Grille-Anthracite Gray Wheels-Gloss Black Vinyl Over Chrome-35% Window Tint

SoCalSHO

Thanks to Livernois for sending tunes with the new Strategy codes so quickly.
Robert
2010 Met White
1/8 Mile 8.380@83.42MPH

DJE624

Quote from: SoCalSHO on March 14, 2014, 10:54:05 PM
Thanks to Livernois for sending tunes with the new Strategy codes so quickly.

Just in time for Friday Night at the Track?

SoCalSHO

Lol. Around Here It Is Thursday Night. But I Have To Take It Back For No HEat. Should Be Quick. AndSince The New Programming. ItIs Running Strong
Robert
2010 Met White
1/8 Mile 8.380@83.42MPH

SoCalSHO

Oh, so close to reloading the tune. I did not specify for which tuner I needed it for, it got sent for my SCT, not the Mycal....damn
Robert
2010 Met White
1/8 Mile 8.380@83.42MPH