• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

"How to" T Stat Install-DJE624

Started by DJE624, March 12, 2014, 01:34:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOnUup

Cars running up to temps. Has cycled a few times and still have poor heat.
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

SHOnUup

Poor heat turned cold...bad tstat? Or am I impatient?
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

panther427

sounds like you got a bubble still..... When the car is cold. remove the cap... turn the car on and turn the heater on full hot and full fan.....Let it heat up. then cool. check fluid level.
2013 SHO

SHOnUup

Quote from: panther427 on September 07, 2014, 11:46:23 AM
sounds like you got a bubble still..... When the car is cold. remove the cap... turn the car on and turn the heater on full hot and full fan.....Let it heat up. then cool. check fluid level.
Thx for reply... I have let it cycle a few times...more patience needed I take it...when heat went from sort of warm to cool I was worried tstat may be stuck

Also only sucked in very small amount of coolant If any.

panther427

i cant say mine is 100% good as it is still warm and havent used the heat but i did that a couple times over a weekend. Untill when cool the fluid level didnt drop.
2013 SHO

SHOnUup

Heats warmer now, still no intake of fluid...it's 67* and coolant temp is steady 186

panther427

ya you gotta let the car cool to check the fluid level.  takes a while to do.
2013 SHO

ZSHO

Mine is a Reische 170 stat,had good sucess burping the car a few times after driving it for a while,then would wait 10-17min and gradually open the coolant tank cap and close it as soon as i hear air come out,did that about 4-5 times and the heat is now to hot,good luck.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOnUup

Took car for ride yesterday and under very light (if any throttle) the temp would rise quickly. Coolant temp was hitting 200* so I got worried and shut it down. Heat was warm at the time. Let it cool down and started the idle process with heat on and cap off with no luck of coolant being ingested, bubbles, or warm heat.

Tried again today and still nothing. I thought these aftermarket tstat' s had a fail safe if they didn't work properly they would revert to open?

SHOdded

My first instinct would be to name air bubbles, next an improper installation or failed tstat.  Sometimes squeezing the radiator hoses will dislodge the stubborn bubbles.

Time to request help from Livernois?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOnUup

Bubbles will be named if they appear, lol, like rare, about damn time, and wtf. I tried squeezing hoses (while capped) with no luck. Gonna wait until it cools off later tonight and pull tstat and check it's activity in boiling water.

Could losing to much coolant during the re-orrientation of tstat leave it unable to open as the air may be holding the coolant back (wild guess)from getting to it?

SHOdded

Quote:
AIR POCKET DAMAGE

One of the most common causes of localized hot spots is air in the cooling system. Air pockets can form when the cooling system is being refilled after a coolant change or when other engine repairs are being made (valve job, replacing a water pump, thermostat, etc.). As coolant is being poured into the radiator, the thermostat often blocks the venting of air from the engine leaving air trapped in the upper portion of the block and/or heads. Some thermostats have a small bleed hole or jiggle pin to prevent this from happening, but many do not. Some engines also have special bleeder valves on the thermostat housing or elsewhere to help vent trapped air from the system.

If the trapped air isn't removed, it may cause localized hot spots to form when the engine is started. The trapped air may also prevent the thermostat from opening and cause the engine to overheat. That, in turn, may lead to additional damage such as head cracking or warping. Another symptom of air trapped in the cooling system would be little or no heat output from the heater when the engine is warm.

Try squeezing the hoses with the radiator cap removed after the car has cooled down to ambient.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOnUup

Much appreciated tips. Being very cautious with this and not letting the temps get over 200. I was squeezing the hoses(capped, via ford site, and uncapped prior) while it was warmed up, so as it cools down tonight will try it cooled down.

The easy seeming straight forward jobs have a problem with me for some reason. When first installed, no problem. Stupid curiosity about the jiggle pin has proved to be a PIA.

JMR76

I had the same thing with the 160 TS I tried.  The intake hose prior to TS was ice cold but engine temps would go over 200 at idle.  It would eventually open and cool down in the 160's but eventually repeat it self.  Other's have not had problems though. 

I went back to 170 TS and it runs consistently 178-184 In the summer, sometimes a little cooler.  I was told it was air, which in your case it may be, but I re-installed stock, 170 and 160 a couple times over and never had an issue with stock or 170. 

Just my 2 cents
2013 SHO - PP/ GH Intercooler / 170*TS / Cold .026 plugs / MSD Coils / Corsa cat-back / PPE Catted Downpipes / Xtreme-DI XDI-EO HPFP / E 30+ / Gear Head Tuned.

SHOnUup

Quote from: JMR76 on September 08, 2014, 07:11:53 PM
I had the same thing with the 160 TS I tried.  The intake hose prior to TS was ice cold but engine temps would go over 200 at idle.  It would eventually open and cool down in the 160's but eventually repeat it self.  Other's have not had problems though. 

I went back to 170 TS and it runs consistently 178-184 In the summer, sometimes a little cooler.  I was told it was air, which in your case it may be, but I re-installed stock, 170 and 160 a couple times over and never had an issue with stock or 170. 

Just my 2 cents
Thx for the input. Any info is helpful in easing the stress. What's weird is my temps would hover at the 190* range with this 160 tstat. That i thought was high for a mediocre temp summer in Michigan.  So I investigated the jiggle valve position...oops, now it's worse. Almost cool enough to pull out I think.