• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

"How to" T Stat Install-DJE624

Started by DJE624, March 12, 2014, 01:34:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BiGMaC

Quote from: liteyouup on September 29, 2014, 09:54:53 PM
I got in installed, but there must still be air in the system because it runs hotter than it did before.  I have heat though at idle, so hopefully if I jack the passenger side up higher tomorrow I can fix it.  I lost a lot of coolant taking too long. 
Keep a close eye on the level of coolant in the reservior and refill it as needed frequently for a while until it stabilizes. Might want to carry some in the trunk.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

pmezo33

Quote from: JDW1 on August 31, 2015, 12:42:56 PM
The instructions from p3 (attached) officially call for this thing http://www.amazon.com/UView-550000-Airlift-Cooling-Checker/dp/B0002SRH5G BUT from what I understand here, basically get the spill free funnel and let it run with the heat on high until no more bubbles?

I just did the t-stat and a coolant flush last weekend on my 10 mks and i found it actually to be pretty easy to bleed of air.  It was my first time using a lisle funnel though, so that may have helped.  No need for one of the suction hoses you posted a link to.

I just jacked the car on up the passengers side and let the thermostat open.  Revved the engine to 3500 rpms for about 10 seconds and the air pockets were gone.  Easy peasy.  Temp holds stead and plenty of hot air blowing.

You can also run this procedure if you don't have a lisle funnel.  It was posted earlier in the thread, but i'll post it again.

When you do that (cooled off), have the radiator cap off and the right side higher than the left (curb/jack/etc).  Make the overflow bottle the highest point in the system to allow trapped air to escape.  I don't think it's stuck in your heater core (should hear gurgling from behind the dash).

From the free Chilton's Manual:

2.Fill the degas bottle to 25 mm (0.984 in) above the COLD FILL line.
3.Install the degas bottle cap until at least 1 audible click is heard.
4.Turn the climate control system off.
5.Start the engine and increase the engine speed to 3,500 rpm and hold for 30 seconds.
6.Turn the engine off for and wait for 1 minute to purge any large air pockets from the cooling system.
WARNING 

WARNING: Always allow the engine to cool before opening the cooling system. Do not unscrew the coolant pressure relief cap when the engine is operating or the cooling system is hot. The cooling system is under pressure; steam and hot liquid can come out forcefully when the cap is loosened slightly. Failure to follow these instructions may result in serious personal injury.

Check the engine coolant level in degas bottle and if necessary fill to 25 mm (0.984 in) above the top of the COLD FILL LEVEL on the degas bottle if the engine is warm or to the top of the COLD FILL LEVEL if the engine is cold.
8.Start the engine and let it idle until the engine reaches normal operating temperature and the thermostat is fully open. A fully open thermostat is verified by the cooling fan cycling on at least once.
9.Increase the engine speed to 3,500 rpm and hold for 30 seconds.
10.Allow the engine to idle for 30 seconds.
11.Turn the engine off for 1 minute.
12.Repeat steps 9 through 11 a total of 5 times to remove any remaining air trapped in the system.

WARNING 

WARNING: Always allow the engine to cool before opening the cooling system. Do not unscrew the coolant pressure relief cap when the engine is operating or the cooling system is hot. The cooling system is under pressure; steam and hot liquid can come out forcefully when the cap is loosened slightly. Failure to follow these instructions may result in serious personal injury.

Check the engine coolant level in degas bottle and if necessary fill to 25 mm (0.984 in) above the top of the COLD FILL LEVEL on the degas bottle if the engine is warm or to the top of the COLD FILL LEVEL if the engine is cold.
14.Install the degas bottle cap until at least 1 audible click is heard.