• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

160* T-stat Installed..

Started by Tomc612, March 10, 2014, 11:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomc612

I Decided to give the 160* thermostat a try, lost a 1/4 of cup coolant, topped off coolant,loaded the stg2 for the 160*t-stat and let the car warm up for 10 min..Outside temp was about 37/38* turned heat on 72* and was a little cool at first,when the coolant temp got to 158* then the heat was getting a bit warmer but slowly,it got to 178* and the heat was HOT.Then the fans kicked on at 182*, Went for a 8.8 mile trip to get a coffee and seeing cruising temps @182/84 the highest and at times it went down to 177*/79. Now when I was sitting at the drive thru for about 3 min,the temp was @179* and the heat coming out the vents was HOT. Car is running good so far. I'm Going to give it more time and see how it works out.

STOCK 180* ON LEFT

THE 160*

3POINT5

Nice... I think this will be one of a few things Im am doing soon. I have a lot of catching up to do with you guys. I just wish I could just have all the money back I put into my fusion for modding the SHO.
2012 Loaded SHO with 5% tint, LMS Stage 4 tune, Custom intake with VTA BOV's. Far from done... More to come very soon...

SHOdded

So far so good :)  Looking forward to your updates, tomc!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

DJE624

Thanks for doing all the testing Tom!  My 160 goes in tomorrow night.  Hopefully, I will be confirming your positive results.

BiGMaC

Nice report Tomi... VERY promising!  No signs of open loop? (ie, after it warmed up your idle slowed as expected)

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

Tomc612

Quote from: BiGMaC on March 11, 2014, 12:49:31 AM
Nice report Tomi... VERY promising!  No signs of open loop? (ie, after it warmed up your idle slowed as expected)

I went out this morning and started the car up and I noticed open loop momentarily until exhaust gases and O2 sensors kicked in.Warm up time is slower,,the heat was a little cooler,I had to put it up to 80* this morning..outside temp was 32*.

Livernois Motorsports

This is about what we have seen from our own testing as well. These cars are not the cars of the mid 90's, their open loop fueling settings are well below 160*, so this thermostat would never cause it to go into warm up mode from cooling it off too far. Definitely keep everyone updated, and thanks for the detailed report so far!

BiGMaC

It's always reassuring when business and user experiences are so similar.  Thanks to LMS and tomc.  Looking forward to Dave's report and others.

Living in Phoenix where I'll be in stop and go traffic with ambient air temps around 120 degrees frequently makes this more than a little important.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

Tomc612

Quote from: BiGMaC on March 11, 2014, 03:41:47 PM
It's always reassuring when business and user experiences are so similar.  Thanks to LMS and tomc.  Looking forward to Dave's report and others.

Living in Phoenix where I'll be in stop and go traffic with ambient air temps around 120 degrees frequently makes this more than a little important.

You're welcome! I believe this is a great little mod for the the warmer climate's and here in NE during the warmer month's, so I'm keeping it in, cars running great. I will return to the 180* in October.

DJE624

I am in a bit of a quandry on what else I need to test.  I am putting in the 160 tonight but I don't have the tune for it yet.  I'll just run a couple of coolant temp tests and see how the heater works.  The other problem is that our temps are going to be dropping by at least 20 degrees from the time I start later until I finish.  And more snow.  This is my Saturday so I want to get it done.  I will get some pics and report whatever I can. 

SHOdded

Hi 71 tomorrow, 32 day after.  What the ...  BUT, no snow/ice for us, so I'm ok with it.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

DJE624

Got my 160 in and tuned.  So far, so good!  Temps are down.  I love it! 

Tomc612

So far, so good here too.. I was skeptical at first, but I'm really glad it worked out.

FoMoCoSHO

Anybody notice anything with regards to MPG's yet?

That is a good indicator that everything is right with emissions and ECU.

Oh if someone would temp the air coming out of the vents, that'd be awesome.

SHOdded

Keep us updated guys!  Longterm public data not so easy to find, so your input is invaluable.