• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Video of BOV's after intake and Stage 4 tune

Started by 3POINT5, March 04, 2014, 12:01:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3POINT5

Are anyone elses this loud? I have them vented to atmophere and thats pretty much it.

2012 Taurus SHO Factory BOV'S.
2012 Loaded SHO with 5% tint, LMS Stage 4 tune, Custom intake with VTA BOV's. Far from done... More to come very soon...

BiGMaC

With the hotpipes I'm now VTA... In fact I can see the actual occluder.  Mine just make a little Pfffft noise that I can't hear if the radio is on (may be louder outside the car of course).... Other mods like CAI can increase the sound. The sound frequency seems a little different than what other guys have demo'd

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

3POINT5

Quote from: BiGMaC on March 04, 2014, 12:25:14 AM
With the hotpipes I'm now VTA... In fact I can see the actual occluder.  Mine just make a little Pfffft noise that I can't hear if the radio is on (may be louder outside the car of course).... Other mods like CAI can increase the sound. The sound frequency seems a little different than what other guys have demo'd

The windows were up. It sounds even louder in person though. Im curious what it hears like outside the car myself. Its just to cold...
2012 Loaded SHO with 5% tint, LMS Stage 4 tune, Custom intake with VTA BOV's. Far from done... More to come very soon...

68_GT

sounds coo, but I wonder if I'd get tired of that BOV noise ??
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

3POINT5

It only does it loud if you want it to. I tried it under normal conditions and its not that noticeable. I.E. not letting off the throttle and just letting the car shift itself.

BiGMaC

I'd still take the back hose off... It's a pain I know.... to see if you like it better.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

Josephm

I just took both hoses off this weekend. I'll upload video tomorrow
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

dalum

I would guess your BOV's aren't even opening.  It sounds to me like "turbo flutter" and is considered bad.  Herehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7rfIjmeSMg is a compilation of idiots that do this on purpose.  I think its caused by the compressed air going back through the turbo when the TB is slammed shut.  I would check your connections to the BOV's and make sure nothing came off.
2013 Non-PP SHO

BiGMaC

Quote from: dalum on March 04, 2014, 10:05:46 AM
I would guess your BOV's aren't even opening.  It sounds to me like "turbo flutter" and is considered bad.  Herehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7rfIjmeSMg is a compilation of idiots that do this on purpose.  I think its caused by the compressed air going back through the turbo when the TB is slammed shut.  I would check your connections to the BOV's and make sure nothing came off.

Dalum... A little off topic... apologies to 3POINT5 .. Can you provide a reference on the turbo flutter? ... and does this cause an increased pressurization of the crankcase (kind of like reversing the flow in the PCV due to this pressure? Education as to bad effects on engine is what I'm wanting to learn.  TIA

3POINT5

Quote from: dalum on March 04, 2014, 10:05:46 AM

You are correct sir... Im dumb and forgot to plug the BOV back in after removing the hose. It shouldnt hurt it since we have 2. I still wont do it again though.

DJE624

Good catch dalum!  Glad you found the problem 3Points! 

IHeartGroceries

It isn't necessarily flutter that is bad. It is the associated compressor surge that accompanies it. Without a valve that is actuating correctly, the pressurized air charge downstream of the compressor wheel has nowhere else to go but back upstream through the compressor, once the throttle plate is closed.

This is more of a problem with mechanical valves, which used preset spring tension to actuate. For 13 plus models, with the electronic valves, it is likely less of an issue. I haven't looked closely, but I assume the e-valves are actuated by a solenoid, and have no mechanical spring preset.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP

BiGMaC

You are correct on BoV function...For the '13+ they are solenoid activated and have a return spring closure.  Played with mine during hotpipes installation.

dalum

I only know what little I've read about it from random googling.  The concern seemed to be around turbo bearing damage.

2013 Non-PP SHO

SwampRat

Quote from: IHeartGroceries on March 04, 2014, 01:49:25 PM
It isn't necessarily flutter that is bad. It is the associated compressor surge that accompanies it. Without a valve that is actuating correctly, the pressurized air charge downstream of the compressor wheel has nowhere else to go but back upstream through the compressor, once the throttle plate is closed.

This is more of a problem with mechanical valves, which used preset spring tension to actuate. For 13 plus models, with the electronic valves, it is likely less of an issue. I haven't looked closely, but I assume the e-valves are actuated by a solenoid, and have no mechanical spring preset.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

So the 13+ SHO uses electronic valves for the BOV's and are not mechanical ?

I just Got 4DR's Hot Pipe Kit with a Tial BOV and they are mechanical .

Is this going to be a problem and what about the electrical wiring that wont be connected ?
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST