• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Non-Touch Screen MyCal Device Questions

Started by Bigjht, March 02, 2014, 12:11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigjht

My main question is what is the benefit of this device over the SCT X3 and about to be released X4?  Why are other tuners offering the SCT devices for 2013+ but Livernois is not?  I currently have the MyCal for my 2013 SHO but am looking in to options for my 2013 F150.  I have been happy with my experience with Livernois but to be honest, I have not been that impressed with the MyCal so was hoping to find out why it's the only option from them.  This is not a Livernois bashing thread so don't take it as that, but rather meant to learn more about the differences in the devices.
2013 PP SHO - Airaid CAI, Eibach Springs, Livernois Tune
2013 EB F150 Limited - Stock for Now!

DJE624

There are more tables to work with on the MyCal.  At least there were last Fall.

SHOdded

My sneaking suspicion is that X4 now offers more access to tuning tables as well, but Torrie can confirm that for sure.  As to why Livernois does not offer X4, Brandon?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Bigjht

Quote from: DJE624 on March 02, 2014, 01:22:51 AM
There are more tables to work with on the MyCal.  At least there were last Fall.

That's what has me confused. If there are limitations with the SCT where the MyCal is a necessity why are other tuners not having the same issue? And then on their website they disclaim the following "The new MyCalibr8or device by AIW is available exclusively from Livernois Motorsports for your 2013 Taurus SHO," which to me markets it as a destinct advantage otherwise why point it out as exclusive?  I'll be the first to admit I am ignorant to the coding and specs needed by those doing the tuning so there could be a very simple and valid answer, but I haven't seen much discussed about it so I thought it would be a good topic of discussion.

Livernois Motorsports

The reason we use the our MyCal device over the SCT is that the MyCal allows us to do more from a tuning stand point, where as the SCT is more limited. It will allow us change certain parameters where the SCT does not.

Bigjht

Will the X4 offer increased capabilities where you could use it?

Joleat

Would it be possible for us to get a summary of these MyCal-only parameters and their benefits? As a consumer, I need to know what I'm missing, and at what cost, before I can know whether or not I want it.
Project: MKSinister-2011 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost-Tuxedo Black Metallic Exterior-Black Ultimate Leather Interior-EcoBoost Appearance Package-Unleashed SCT X4-3Bar MAP-SP534 Spark Plugs-Power Stop Drilled and Slotted Rotors and Evolution Ceramic Brake Pads-General G-Max AS-03 Tires-Debadged-Color Matched Grille-Anthracite Gray Wheels-Gloss Black Vinyl Over Chrome-35% Window Tint

FoMoCoSHO

Allegedly, but what are the tangible benefits?

More power?
Better fuel economy?
Safer tune?

I have seen zero data showing any of the above to be true.

Until that happens its nothing but marketing hype.

DJE624

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on March 05, 2014, 11:24:39 AM

More power?
Better fuel economy?
Safer tune?

Here is my graph showing gains from stock to SCT Stage4 to MyCal Stage 4+.   

I have posted this several times.

Bigjht

How much of that is due to the extra tables vs more aggressive tuning?

DJE624

I believe any more aggressive tuning would be enabled by more tables to work with.

Bigjht

Quote from: Joleat on March 05, 2014, 11:12:09 AM
Would it be possible for us to get a summary of these MyCal-only parameters and their benefits? As a consumer, I need to know what I'm missing, and at what cost, before I can know whether or not I want it.

I think this sums it up best and what my goal was to find out.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: DJE624 on March 05, 2014, 01:21:46 PM
Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on March 05, 2014, 11:24:39 AM

More power?
Better fuel economy?
Safer tune?

Here is my graph showing gains from stock to SCT Stage4 to MyCal Stage 4+.   

I have posted this several times.

Right but that is the experience of one tuner with both devices.

Show me multiple tuners with the same experience or my cal tunes consistently outperforming SCT across the board and I would reconsider my position.

Another thing to consider is resale. A quick Google search show that pretty much LMS are the only folks using this device.

Another question I have is were any of the 2013 cold weather issue cars tuned with SCT?

DJE624

I posted evidence that the MyCal did better than the SCT in my case as requested.  Same car, same tuner different device.  Using more than one tuner to make the point would skew the results.  There have been quite a few resales of MyCals already here on this forum.  I'm not worried about having to sell mine.  I don't believe any cars with cold weather issues were tuned with the SCT but I could be wrong. 

Livernois Motorsports

While we can't get into specifics as for what we have access to that no one else does, I will say it's not like it's only one or two things. We brought all of the development for software in house. Too many times over the years have we been burned by aftermarket companies that make software, that map stuff out incorrectly. Also, what if it's low priority for them? There are platforms we have been tuning for multiple years that no other company even bothers with. If we could do the same thing using something that's already out there, we would, why add the complexity and extra work? The short answer is because we care more about the results we offer than anything else.