• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

For the Flex guys/gals - Subwoofer boxes in stealth locations

Started by Lanson, February 27, 2014, 11:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanson

Hi y'all,

Some know that I am a hobbyist audio builder and I definitely enjoy conjuring up unique designs when time permits.  I've been working with another Flex member and have come up with a few different sub box designs ideas I'd like to share.  My goal here is to offer up some ideas for hidden sub boxes and for those that would like me to fabricate one for them, I can possibly provide that as well.  I'm working on prototypes but I've modeled them in Sketchup for a baseline design, to make sure I'm able to even build it.

First design is one that can fit behind the 2nd row seats, in the floorwell of the 3rd row.  The box design allows the seats to flip and fold per normal.  The only space taken is the floor room back there, so either you'd keep car seats with little kids back there, or you could pull the box quickly for adults if you ever have them in those 3rd row seats. 

Here's a rough 3D model that I uploaded of my design plan.  It holds an 8" sub.

A pair of these boxes could be implemented:

I've also got a side-firing single large box I'm working on, no pics on that yet (too ugly.)

Another box is a spare tire well box.  I made my own box for my own Flex out of fiberglass, but the cost of materials and time to make something like that is prohibitive for most.  As a result, I have been working with wood on a new design, which uses a geometrically perfect shape that the spare tire well actually turns out to be.  Looks a little like this

But of course the top is dependent on the sub(s) used.  A design I'm working on right now involves too very powerful Sundown 10" SD2's, which can handle 500+ watts a piece and have incredible output.  The seats still flip and fold flat, and the floor can be built to handle a lot of load weight if need be.  Even more than the stock flimsy plyboard actually.

Another box I'm working on is possibly a spare tire well box that keeps the spare!  This design will be something I'll have to work on after I finish the others up, though.  The idea would be to put a single 8" or maybe a pair of 6.5" subs to work, in a tiny box that takes up the spare wheel's room, and then just a bit of height above, making a higher floor.  Still low enough to flip and fold the seats though.

So the idea of this thread is just to talk about these, and see if any of these rough ideas are of interest to other Flex owners. 

Thanks!
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

Lanson

Here is that spare tire well subwoofer box in reality, now that I've built it. 

See, it is just math

Coming to life in vinyl and carpet that matches the interior

Loaded with some gorgeous Sundown SD-2's

Not quite done, but close

Back panel trimmed

This is the curve that I got, anechoic.

Seats still fold almost completely flat

I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

BiGMaC

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

mval

lanson-beautiful work that's for sure. much easier in a sho w/ that back shelf in the trunk. man i'll bet people will sure look around when they here the boom, boom coming from a flex. by the way got my stuff from the chemicals guys just like you recommended, now just waiting on wheels to arrive & weather to get nice. thanks again for your input.
mikev
'10 lme 4+93, 160t, 3 bar, w/cust headrest & evo gauge pod,md design cai, ppe dpes, borla cback , vertini 20" cust wheels w/conti dws, ebc slotted rotors w/red pads & mgp caliper covers, viper remote start, cust dipped eng cover,fascia, cai & lids,decals, custom bra, black wrapped spoiler
2017 chally scat pack shaker yellow jacket dd, so sho can be a show queen

Lanson

Thanks guys/gals.  I think this box type could also be implemented in other spare tire-equipped Fords / Lincolns too. 

Thanks, Mval, SHOdded, and BiGMaC for the props

Lanson

After this build, I'll be working on a 3rd row stealth box setup using Sundown 8" subs.  That'll be a sneaky one.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Lanson

Fun fact, the subs were out of phase (not with each other, but with my system), and I could only tell because it felt like they were good, but not as good as they were really close to them, like during set up and testing.  Flipped the wires, and holy damn... these are fun.  Good, good subs.

EcoPowerParts

I need a kick ass box for my V, need something to knock my head off.
I'll come visit my Dad for a week and you can build me a system. :P
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

Josephm

12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

Lanson

Quote from: 4DRHTRD on March 03, 2014, 07:09:22 PM
I need a kick ass box for my V, need something to knock my head off.
I'll come visit my Dad for a week and you can build me a system. :P
PERFECT!

I can actually build most of the box in your absence, as long as I have very accurate measurements and pictures.  I can then build a 3D model, send the design back to so you can double-measure and build a test-version out of cardboard or similar, and then its just a matter of fab.  And whammo, we've got it done!

EcoPowerParts

I wouldn't mind arranging a V coupe to come visit you, I have friends with some up there you could take measurements from.
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

Lanson

Quote from: Josephm on March 03, 2014, 09:02:26 PM
What did you tune those sd's too?
They are sealed, so there's no tuning other than the box itself.  That said, we achieved a 1.16 cubic foot box, plus some polyfil compensation, so the Qtc of the box is below .7.  These are subs that love being in small boxes.  After a brief break-in, I decided to push my system on these and found the limit of my amp before the limit of the sub.  And that limit was well beyond what I have experienced in the Flex yet. 

Lanson

Quote from: 4DRHTRD on March 04, 2014, 12:50:01 PM
I wouldn't mind arranging a V coupe to come visit you, I have friends with some up there you could take measurements from.

I'm down with that, Mike.  Let's say we can visit this in a few weeks, after I finish this other build I've got on my plate.  I can get it done for you, no sweat.