• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Upgrade audio system for sport

Started by roushed, February 17, 2014, 06:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roushed

Okay guys help me spend my money I got $2000 give me some audio ideas to take to my installer Thanks

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Really nobody

roushed

Quote from: roushed on February 17, 2014, 06:13:09 PM
Okay guys help me spend my money I got $2000 give me some audio ideas to take to my installer Thanks

really nobody

johnbowler

Where are you located?  What kind of system are you looking for...bass heavy? super clean and technical? loud?  What kind of music do you listen to at what volume and do you like bass?

roushed

Located in Chicago some bass crisp and clean sound listen to alternative rocks some heavy metal sometime some pop music we like to turn it up but looking for low bass not a system that rattles my mirrors Thanks for your help

glock-coma

I'm pretty sure the general consensus is processing is more important than changing speakers/ amplification.
A few people have installed jbl ms-8 with great success.
That's the route I'll be taking in the future.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

Lanson

I can do this. 

JBL MS8 - $400-500, refurbed would be OK with a squaretrade warranty or similar.

These amps if you have the space to give
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_25961_Vibe_SLICK_a1.aspx
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_25962_Vibe_SLICK_A7.aspx

And these amps if you don't (this is what I run)
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_36758_Vibe_SlickBass1-V1.aspx
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_36762_Vibe_SlickStereo4-V1.aspx

Now the ohm spec differs there as to what amp you use, so my recommendation for what subs to use will differ based on that.  However, if you need powerful, relatively inexpensive, relatively shallow, and relatively low space subs,... look no further than the Sundown SD-2.  The 8's, 10's, and 12's are all fantastic units for a great price.  Just match the ohm spec with the desired amp, and you're good to go.

Speakers, well...the world is your oyster but ID, JBL mid-high end, and so many other good brands would all be acceptable.  Since you'd be able to run active with the MS8, you can also go with separate woofers and tweeters that suit your build needs.  Again, the whole option is wide open.  If you budget somewhere between 200-300 for this part, you're golden.

Deadening materials.  Don's site www.sounddeadenershowdown.com and Rick's site www.raamaudio.com would both be my recommendation for the money.  Don's products like butyl rope, heavy CLD tiles, and foams are fantastic.  Rick's Ensolite and lighter more all-purpose deadener works great too.  Budget about $200-ish for deadening.

Wire - I use welding cable www.wireandsupply.com is where I buy it.  1/0 gauge primary and 4 gauge secondary would be good here.  Budget $50-60 for that. 

Distribution blocks, fuse/circuit breakers, etc.  I like ordering from Sonic Electronix for these, and I like the T-Spec units for the money and quality.  So, about $30-50.  Also a simple PAC TR-4 remote box for remote turn on would be smart, since our cars don't make it easy to tap into a 12V accessory line sometimes.

Speaker wire, RCA's, etc. www.monoprice.com is the place for me.  I use in-wall rated CL2 wire.  16 gauge 2 and 4 conductor is more than sufficient.  $30-50  maybe.

Techflex for your wires from ebay, username furryletters.  He's the man.  Also has heatshrink.

Hmm... did I miss anything?  Probably not other than the enclosure and "labor" itself.  Though I'd vote you do it  yourself. 

I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

dcpatters

Holy s*** Lanson, whatever happened to swapping out the speakers and calling it a day?  :dunno:
2014 Explorer Sport LMS tune, 170 Stat, Airaid

Lanson

Quote from: dcpatters on February 18, 2014, 11:41:03 AM
Holy s*** Lanson, whatever happened to swapping out the speakers and calling it a day?  :dunno:

Not on my shift, brother.

Your best investment is deadening and processing, then amp(s), then subs, then speakers (IMO.)  I'm just speaking about our cars BTW, some cars have different needs but our Fords have OK speakers out of the box. 
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

SRT82ECOBOOST

You can check out my build thread here:
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=1827.0
I got all of the equipment out on my own (Closeout pricing on all the Boston Acoustics gear) and paid for the install and it all came out to only $1,300. I am flirting around with adding a processor/DSP, but with track season just around the corner, my mod money might have to go to some go fast goodies. You will not be disappointed with this system and it has some room to grow.
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

dcpatters

Quote from: Lanson on February 18, 2014, 11:45:35 AM
Quote from: dcpatters on February 18, 2014, 11:41:03 AM

Not on my shift, brother.

:rofl2:

I visited a local installation shop in Southern California, installer was throwing around all kinds of numbers, in the end told me approximately $3,500 to upgrade the system in the Sport.  :nono: So I left, turned down the mid-range a little, and enjoying my OEM Sony system.   

roushed

That's a lot to think about decisions decisions

Lanson

Quote from: roushed on February 18, 2014, 03:34:21 PM
That's a lot to think about decisions decisions

You could try doing it yourself, and IF you fail then you could hire a pro.  But uh,... I don't think you'll fail as long as you can wield a soldering iron and some time/patience. 

IDK how far you are away from me, but if you need a box built, I can fab.  I'm in Vegas for reference.

dcpatters

Well I'm coming to visit. Parents live in Vegas.

Lanson