• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Dyno for PPE down pipes

Started by EcoPowerParts, February 12, 2014, 05:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJP turbo

Quote from: MDesign on March 18, 2015, 12:25:56 PM
I would always suggest catted downpipes over non-catted.

You're losing only 1-2hp by going performance catted over non-catted downpipes also, this was tested on a dyno, so the difference is negligible.

Wonder why so many people go catless then? From Honda's to Ford's and in between...I also think depending on the motor catted and non catted can have more desparity. I'd say the main benefit of being Catless is that all the over temp shutdowns and safety measures that are meant to save the cats life can be disabled giving you the ability to run harder longer...There are some compensations in the tune tables to reduce power  when the cat temps get hot...Sometimes it can be subtle power reductions that you may not even feel.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

BiGMaC

Quote from: ajpturbo on March 18, 2015, 12:33:50 PM

You're losing only 1-2hp by going performance catted over non-catted downpipes also, this was tested on a dyno, so the difference is negligible.

Wonder why so many people go catless then? From Honda's to Ford's and in between...I also think depending on the motor catted and non catted can have more desparity. I'd say the main benefit of being Catless is that all the over temp shutdowns and safety measures that are meant to save the cats life can be disabled giving you the ability to run harder longer...There are some compensations in the tune tables to reduce power  when the cat temps get hot...Sometimes it can be subtle power reductions that you may not even feel.

Very true ajp, but makes me contemplate.. since I'm not running a road race circuit..If I can't tell the power adjustment... did it happen.  Kinda like that tree falling in the woods when no one is there. I think many folks are still remembering the big carburated V8 days of straight pipes etc.  However, the only real argument I can currently fully understand is the cost the cats add to the DPs... There are of course differences in the exhaust note too.  I live in an emissions state, so given the data from development of the PPE DPs, it was very easy to go catted... different strokes...

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

Livernois Motorsports

The smell is due to removing the catalytic converters since their function is to regulate emissions. With your emissions system now down two filters (catalytic converters) you are now exposing more emissions which equates to a smell, plain and simple. The noticeability of the smell depends on the design of the downpipes, gas, remaining emissions systems and other factors though I guarantee you any non-catted downpipes will produce a smell to an extent.

That is exactly why we recommend our race catted downpipes. The worst thing to me is whenever you pull your sweet looking  $40-50k sleeper that smells like raw fuel up to a nice valet, or you take the boss out for date night and she smells like raw fuel. The difference in performance like MD said is next to nothing. If your butt dyno is that sensitive you should work for dynojet lol. I run catted DP's on my ride, because I like not being in the dog house lol.

AJP turbo

I prefer my Catless down pipes and I'm enjoying my emissions compliance and I live in an emissions state.....You won't really notice a smell if you leave your 3rd cat on...Unless you put your nose to the tail pipe while the car is waming up. I like the sound of my catless pipes with the stock cat back

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

Livernois Motorsports

BiGMaC, I agree with you. At some point we need to realize that 99.99% of these EB cars ARE DD's they aren't race cars nor are they giant displacement V8's. If we were talking about a race application, no cats...other than that the 95% street to 5% strip car cats are almost a must.

Livernois Motorsports

Quote from: ajpturbo on March 18, 2015, 12:47:32 PM
I prefer my Catless down pipes and I'm enjoying my emissions compliance and I live in an emissions state.....You won't really notice a smell if you leave your 3rd cat on...Unless you put your nose to the tail pipe while the car is waming up. I like the sound of my catless pipes with the stock cat back

And that's cool, nobody is arguing a preference. The point raised was, smell and performance. I had an 04 Mustang GT that had a full catless Basani system on it...so it is not like I am an advocate for the EPA lol.

BiGMaC

The third cat in place is definitely the key to minimizing any odor.  I too have left the factory catback in place... I love the 4" Corsa tips... and may try their catback if they bring back the black ones, LOL...

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

vernonator

Agreed - I have catless DP's and stock exhaust and there is absolutely NO smell what so ever - cost was a factor, did not want to pay for the cats and my state does NOT emission test so why spend the cash?
2012 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP. Livernois Stage 4+, PPE Catless DP's, EBC Stage 4 Front/Rear Brakes
2015 Tuxedo Black Explorer Sport 401A, no mods....YET :)

peppelepugh

Quote from: vernonator on March 18, 2015, 01:14:31 PM

Agreed - I have catless DP's and stock exhaust and there is absolutely NO smell what so ever - cost was a factor, did not want to pay for the cats and my state does NOT emission test so why spend the cash?

^^^^ I'm in the same boat, well i don't have my DPs yet, but that was my opinion!^^^^
2011 Kona Blue SHO non-PP: MDesign Carbon Fiber CAI, All interior lights LEDs, LED Puddles, and LED Reverse.

EBC Stage 4 Brake kit, 170* T-stat, 3-Bar MAP, NGK Plugs, PPE Catless-DPs and Tune by Torrie!

MDesign Performance

Quote from: ajpturbo on March 18, 2015, 12:33:50 PM
Wonder why so many people go catless then? From Honda's to Ford's and in between...

Cost.

Catalytic converters are not cheap, performance high-flow catalytic converters being even more expensive. Fact is people want more for their money and that is what they get by getting hatless downpipes, though they're also expelling more emissions. I bet if there was no price difference that would be a big factor of whether people choose catted or non-catted downpipes.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance

ZSHO

I just simply wanted to say with EPA laws and emmission compliances always changing and unfortunetly sometimes for the worse in some states,you never know how emmission friendly your state can become and dont know what the future will bring us tommorrow,so for a peace of mind i would also advocate for the catted DP version as MD stated above.Z,.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

FoMoCoSHO

BigMac, on page one you said it was revving to 6800-7000K RPM?

How is that possible?

I ask because I'm messing around with shift point data and trying to figure out what max engine speed is.

BiGMaC

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on February 14, 2016, 12:33:09 PM
BigMac, on page one you said it was revving to 6800-7000K RPM?

How is that possible?

I ask because I'm messing around with shift point data and trying to figure out what max engine speed is.

If you look at the dyno curves on page 1 of the thread you see the pull through to 6800rpm... Dunno how, just reading the graph. Tune was stock then. I don't know what gear the car was in when the ECU/PCM began limiting as the up and down oscillations indicate. Don't know if that's any help. Your search may involve tune revisions and testing to find the sweet spot for any individual car.

Vortech347

I thought the factory rev limit was something like 6200
Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

AJP turbo

I think the pickup wires for ground and coil pack for rpms were out of sync and or bad connection.the indicated revs from the dyno graph are not directly from the ecu they are grabbed from wire signals from the engine bay

And i think stock has a rev limiter of 6400 in gear but the commanded shift points by gear are in the low 6000's and high 5000's for 1st gear

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress