• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

LMS tune initial reaction

Started by FracaSHO, February 03, 2014, 10:45:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FracaSHO

This morning I decided to load up one of my tunes. Since I have yet to replace my stock plugs with properly gapped colder ones and install my 170 degree T stat, I loaded the 93 octane stage 3. While It didn't have the WOW factor many of you describe with the stage 4+, there was still much to smile about. The car feels more confident and in control of herself. While these cars are know for little to no turbo lag, the tune makes you feel like there was lag, but it is no more. While cruising the downshifts are sooooo much quicker. There's instant response. My baby is much happier.

*Note:  I recommend doing the process found in page 343 of the owners manual to allow the car to "relearn its idle and fuel trim strategy."  The shifts seemed a little harder at first but went away quickly. The car was very smooth and responsive almost immediately. The idle trim will eventually relearn, but may take a while and not be optimal if this process is not done. I have had other tuned vehicles in the past and it definitely took longer to drive at an optimal condition on them. For this reason, and my experience this morning, I say its worth the 5 minutes of your time.

Brad
2010 SHO with PP
Sent from my iPhone
Brad
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO w/ PP

SHOdded

You peeked in the owner's manual?  OMG!!! :D  Glad you liked the new tune!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

bykr

Cool.We're on the same path with our cars from what I've read.I've got the stage 4 tune in and the 170 thermostat and will do the plugs this weekend.I think you commented about leaving the exhaust stock which is what I plan on doing,especially as there'e little or no power in modifying it.Got the H&R springs in last weekend-something I definitely recommend.
2010 Taurus SHO
Steel Blue Metallic
LMS stage 4 tune

BiGMaC

Quote from: bykr on February 03, 2014, 01:45:23 PM
I've got the stage 4 tune in and the 170 thermostat and will do the plugs this weekend.I think you commented about leaving the exhaust stock which is what I plan on doing,especially as there'e little or no power in modifying it.
Not to put down anyone's ride or mod plan... and springs are a good one!  I'm waiting for the Megan coilovers after reading experince with those on other EB vehicles... a lot of fine adjustment in ride is my interest. 

That said, while it is not a "bang for the buck" increase and nothing compares to single mod increases in WHP obtained with a tune or with Meth, ...there is significant increase to be had in modding the exhaust. 
4DR's list is here:
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=808.msg7294#msg7294
Corsa claims 15 to 20 WHP for their catback. 
Downpipes are likely good for another 20 WHP.  Tuning for CB and DP will also result in more HP from your tune.  Some objective data is missing, but we'll have it soon with the testing planned... see this: http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=1907.msg26591#msg26591

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

DJE624

Glad you are enjoying the tune so far Brad!

bykr

I guess I should have said catback not exhaust.I've read conflicting things about catbacks but it seems that if it helps at all it's very minimal.
2010 Taurus SHO
Steel Blue Metallic
LMS stage 4 tune

DJE624

Quote from: bykr on February 03, 2014, 07:16:26 PM
I guess I should have said catback not exhaust.I've read conflicting things about catbacks but it seems that if it helps at all it's very minimal.

I agree.  I don't believe a cat back, just by itself really gives any noticeable gains.  In conjunction with a set of down pipes it may.  The down pipes are where you will get your gains.

BiGMaC

Understand and agree completely... With LMS offering DP (which they do modify tune for now) and now CB (which you can bet they'll at least try tweaking their tune for)... I still bet there are further gains for those who have or do tune.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

DJE624

Quote from: FracaSHO on February 03, 2014, 10:45:48 AM
Since I have yet to replace my stock plugs with properly gapped colder ones and install my 170 degree T stat, I loaded the 93 octane stage 3.
Brad
2010 SHO with PP
Sent from my iPhone

Not necessary for Stage 4+.

FracaSHO

Quote from: DJE624 on February 03, 2014, 10:52:30 PM
Quote from: FracaSHO on February 03, 2014, 10:45:48 AM
Since I have yet to replace my stock plugs with properly gapped colder ones and install my 170 degree T stat, I loaded the 93 octane stage 3.
Brad
2010 SHO with PP
Sent from my iPhone

Not necessary for Stage 4+.

Yes, but are recommended.

There's something to be said if Ford switched to a better plug the next model year.  And since I have to re-gap the stock plugs, I might as well put in new ones. I've had issues with tunes and spark plugs in the past. Trying to avoid said issues.

Brad
2010 SHO with PP
Sent from my iPhone
Brad
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO w/ PP

DJE624

Ah!  Got ya.  I just did the SP534 spec'd for the 13-14.  I don't think those are cooler, just iridium.  Which plugs are you planning on?