• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Whine under low load/deceleration 2013 SHO

Started by shoslow, January 31, 2014, 11:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoslow

Anyone else get a transmission/diff whine under low loads? It's driving me nuts, but the dealer can't seem to hear it. The service manager told me they don't have differentials anyway. lol. Definitely going elsewhere now. I know being a mechanic makes me even more anal, but I can hear it over the radio.

BiGMaC

I don't notice this at all... even downshifting for tranny braking won't cause the problem you describe in mine. Does the sound seem to be in front of you or farther toward the rear? It does sound like it is caused by rotating equipment as you describe it.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

shoslow

Quote from: BiGMaC on January 31, 2014, 11:27:18 AM
I don't notice this at all... even downshifting for tranny braking won't cause the problem you describe in mine. Does the sound seem to be in front of you or farther toward the rear? It does sound like it is caused by rotating equipment as you describe it.
From the front. Sounds like a pinion whine.

FracaSHO

No differentials? I guess you got the back to the future hover conversion.

Brad
2010 SHO with PP
Sent from my iPhone
Brad
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO w/ PP

shoslow

Quote from: FracaSHO on January 31, 2014, 01:37:24 PM

Brad
2010 SHO with PP
Sent from my iPhone
lol

yowen

2010 Taurus SHO, Tuxedo Black
Awaiting Installation: Catless Downpipes, LMS Tune, 3Bar Map Sensor

BiGMaC

Quote from: shoslow on January 31, 2014, 01:40:08 PM

Brad
2010 SHO with PP
Sent from my iPhone
lol

Here's my next mod... the Supernova option.

shoslow ...do check out the PTU thread.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

shoslow

Quote from: BiGMaC on January 31, 2014, 01:54:40 PM
Quote from: shoslow on January 31, 2014, 01:40:08 PM

Brad
2010 SHO with PP
Sent from my iPhone
lol

Here's my next mod... the Supernova option.

shoslow ...do check out the PTU thread.
Just did. Thanks guys. It does sound similar. I'll talk to one of the tech's about checking out the PTU.

shoslow

It absolutely amazes me the idiots that these dealerships allow to work on their cars. Just a little background on me, I've been turning wrenches since I was a kid, built and tuned turbo cars, and now work on natural gas engines and turbines. So im not a complete idiot when it comes to cars. Not completely lol.

I dropped my car off at my dad's to let him take it in to a dealership we have a good relationship with. I live 90 miles away. Anyhow, he takes them for a drive, and they hand him some nonsense about it being an ecoboost, and it's the turbos.  I mean, if you're a mechanic and you can't decipher the difference in turbos spooling, and gear whine,  you shouldn't be working on them.

Can anyone recommend any ford dealerships in the northern Virginia area?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

glock-coma

I had my ptu replaced about 4,000 miles ago and I have noticed a similar gear whine noise. I only noticed the whine when the front wheels were slipping. I  attributed the noise to the rear wheels engaging and a load on the ptu.

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

SHOdded

Quote from: shoslow on February 04, 2014, 09:03:07 PM
Can anyone recommend any ford dealerships in the northern Virginia area?
I believe dmharvey79 recommended Koons Sterling Ford.

You can try other sources like http://www.dealerrater.com/directory/Virginia/Ford/?q=&rating=1&a= and http://repairpal.com/ford-repair-in-west-mclean-virginia-22103

Though a personal recommendation/experience trumps the internet "propaganda" every time :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

painterpatt

Mine does the same exact thing, Got it used at 24k still the same at 36k. Kinda sounds like the gear whine you hear in racecars when they slow down
Koolaid drinkin, Flex drivin !!

glock-coma

It's pretty funny, I have not heard the whine since the last time I posted in this thread....
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)