• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Spark plug gap

Started by Tractorak, January 23, 2014, 01:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tractorak

I just bought some new plugs for my car they are the motorcraft SP-534 one step colder and the gap is more than .30 looks around .036. The plugs say to not gap them. I have never tried to gap iridium plugs should I try? I assume it's the electrode that they are worried about. So if a guy can bend it down without closing the gap too much would that be ok?
2013 Tuxedo Black SHO PP

Tractorak

I also found the 3 bar in town for $118.00 so I am pulling the trigger on that tomorrow. Still hovering with my finger over the cart on the alky kit.
2013 Tuxedo Black SHO PP

Tractorak

Quote from: Tractorak on January 23, 2014, 01:56:24 AM
I just bought some new plugs for my car they are the motorcraft SP-534 one step colder and the gap is more than .30 looks around .036. The plugs say to not gap them. I have never tried to gap iridium plugs should I try? I assume it's the electrode that they are worried about. So if a guy can bend it down without closing the gap too much would that be ok?

Ok so after some leg er.. finger work I found this document from Denso- http://www.densoiridium.com/installationguide.php that tells you how to gap the Iridium plugs and torque specs. I would assume that it should be similar to the motorcraft plugs. It looks like our plugs are the tapered kind so 1/16th turn after finger tight.
2013 Tuxedo Black SHO PP

The Bone

I replaced mine and they were tighter than that. Dont forget the antisieze. they dont come with it and there was carbon on the threads. Go figure since I only use Chevron gas. Changing to Shell. Hope this makes a difference. I also gaped my plugs that I got from the dealer. No guarantee that the gap is right for your car.
12 SHO

Tomc612

My SP- 534s all 6 came at .30.. always use a good feeler gauge to check  Iridium plugs. I tighten using only the socket until it stopped and then attached the ratchet and turn it very gently until nice and snug.You don't really need to torque them.

BiGMaC

Performance companies such as LMS do not recommend feeler gauges, although they can work fine.  They use precision tools much like this:
http://www.jegs.com/p/Accel/Accel-Spark-Plug-Gapping-Pliers/764136/10002/-1

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock