• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Crap In=Crap Out: Processor Needed

Started by SRT82ECOBOOST, January 22, 2014, 09:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRT82ECOBOOST

Just reached the end of what I will call phase 1 of my audio upgrade path to include:
-Boston Acoustics Pro50SE front components
-Boston Acoustics G215-4 15" subwoofer in sealed enclosure
-(2) Boston Acoustics GT-2200 amplifier
     -2 x200W to components
     -1x700W to subwoofer
-Audiocontrol LC2i line output converter
I spent some time last night adjusting gains and crossovers with the end result being less than what I was expecting over stock. There is some additional volume, clarity and bass available from the system, but I would say it is  much less than audiophile grade sound. Just to listen to it at any appreciable volume I need to use the OEM Sony equalizer to remove pretty much all of the midrange and treble.
In the end it just boils down to the fact that I need a processor in the chain to clean the nasty OEM signal I am working with. This system should sound better as the components are some fairly expensive pieces. I am leaning towards the JL Audio Cleansweep for ease of install, low pricing and fairly great results from what I have read for reviews. Does anyone have experience with this piece of equipment?
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

SwampRat

Yes....I used this in an older install .

It does exactlly what it claims to do.

Fine piece of equipment ... you wont be dissapointed ! !

MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IN THE SYSTEM  TO INCLUDE THE OEM HEAD UNIT AND  CLEANSWEEP HAVE A TRUE GROUND ... THIS IS ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL ! !
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

SRT82ECOBOOST

So I dug into this a little further with research on how to properly set up the components in my system and boy did it pay off. The level matching of the line out converter to the amplifier was not even close. So after matching the LOC to the input signal from the OEM head unit the signal chain was greatly improved. I seriously think I doubled not only the output of the system, but also the sound quality has shot through the roof. I am very pleased with the results and the only thing now to adjust is getting back some bass from the subwoofer as the volume rises and the head unit tries to roll off the bass output.
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged

BiGMaC

Quote from: SRT82ECOBOOST on January 23, 2014, 12:01:22 PM
So I dug into this a little further with research on how to properly set up the components in my system and boy did it pay off. The level matching of the line out converter to the amplifier was not even close. So after matching the LOC to the input signal from the OEM head unit the signal chain was greatly improved. I seriously think I doubled not only the output of the system, but also the sound quality has shot through the roof. I am very pleased with the results and the only thing now to adjust is getting back some bass from the subwoofer as the volume rises and the head unit tries to roll off the bass output.

Good move!  I'm following your build with interest.  Your approach is about what i was thinking.  It appears you may have found a reasonable way around the CleanSweep... I really want to hear if you get enough bass response to suit you.   Adjusting I am willing to do, but I want the hardware as simple as possible.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SRT82ECOBOOST

I need to go out after lunch and tweak the Accubass on the Audiocontrol LC2i. It is a specific function designed to combat bass roll-off from factory systems. I also just ordered the ACR-1 remote bass nob that plugs into the LC2i and allows you to additonally attenuate the bass from the front seat. Now just to find the most discrete place to mount it.

BiGMaC

Quote from: SRT82ECOBOOST on January 23, 2014, 12:20:58 PM
I need to go out after lunch and tweak the Accubass on the Audiocontrol LC2i. It is a specific function designed to combat bass roll-off from factory systems. I also just ordered the ACR-1 remote bass nob that plugs into the LC2i and allows you to additonally attenuate the bass from the front seat. Now just to find the most discrete place to mount it.

I always used to hide that kind of thing..... Alot of work-> put it in where the auto park and traction control are in the console.  Minimal work (but still hidden) -> somewhere under the dash that you can reach while driving.  I personally don't like to drill a new dash.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

SRT82ECOBOOST

I think that there may be a way to use velcro underneath the steering wheel opening to not be permanent and be out of the way.

BiGMaC

MJESHO

SRT8.............definitely let us know how the bass output comes out!!  Bass is all I want out of my system when I have the time / money!!! :music:
2013 Ruby Red Metallic PP SHO
New 3.5TT motor thanks to Ford
K&N Short Ram Intake
2-12" HiFonics woofers w/ HiFonics mono amp  Debadged

SRT82ECOBOOST

Quote from: MJESHO on January 23, 2014, 01:52:53 PM
SRT8.............definitely let us know how the bass output comes out!!  Bass is all I want out of my system when I have the time / money!!! :music:
Even if scratch is tight right now, you can not go wrong with this deal I stumbled on for a subwoofer:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DXT2BFC/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$115 shipped to your door. The subwoofer alone used to be $300 and the enclosure is very well built.

MJESHO

WOW.............now that's a steal!!!
2013 Ruby Red Metallic PP SHO
New 3.5TT motor thanks to Ford
K&N Short Ram Intake
2-12" HiFonics woofers w/ HiFonics mono amp  Debadged

SRT82ECOBOOST

Quote from: MJESHO on January 23, 2014, 02:45:03 PM
WOW.............now that's a steal!!!
Boston Acoustics is out of the car audio as a manufacturer, but you can still find their products at rock bottom prices. Some online vendors will even offer an extended warranty on the products for a little more dough which I picked up with my gear. I got about $2,100 in BA amps and speakers for $800.

BiGMaC

The G215-44 15" (dual voice coil) is $65 on amazon and a box with 2 of the in it is < $200.  The DVC ipedence spike is at 18Hz... 20 Hz deeper than the SVC (G215-4 15")...... but with 2" electrical excursion and 15" diameter you'll be moving a lot of air with either one of these!

dalum

We really need someone to a scope or rta on the stock amp and see when the roll offs start happening.  Just before is probably where line levels should be set and considered the max volume of the system.
2013 Non-PP SHO

BiGMaC

Right on dalum!
It's what I do to all the systems i've fooled with for the last 35 years. I have the RTA... bring your ride over! I also have the test tone and polarity check CDs..... Even done right phase cancellation can require polarity to be reversed on a speaker to hear a given frequency due to speaker orientation and the irregular soundbox of a car interior. After that tune to what you like with your ears.

BTW... get your ride in the Feb ROTM!  Give kbeck some competition!