• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

I Give UP

Started by SwampRat, December 25, 2013, 06:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeanKS

OK, now I'm really confused!

first off, sorry for your troubles kbeck.  you were one who i directly pmed and asked about your 22's because i'm trying to decide between 22's or 20's for my new wheels, and i appreciated your advice.

Perhaps, these Giovannas are a little 'weak', maybe.  I think the Meccas are apart of their light weight series and aren't designed to take a beating.  the Killis are not and should be 'stronger'.

Also, while doing my research, I found that the 265/35 r 22 tires are much cheaper on average than the lower profile (30) tire of the same size or even the normal 245/255-45 r 20 tires .  Perhaps that extra sidewall (35 vs 30) would make a difference in protecting a 22in rim.

Are there any fitment issues with a 22in rim and 265/ 35r222 tire on a SHO or MKS-EB?  i think several people have that combo on the forum.  I'm seriously considering it because of the look (the MKS especially swallows up it wheels making them look smaller, the SHO isn't as bad), and the potential savings on the tires...
MKS-EB...

SwampRat

no fitment issues with  22 +35 offset wheels and 265 35 22 rubber..... you may be correct about the Meccas  not able to take as much abuse due to the lightweight design....
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

SwampRat

Meccas sold locally to a friend with an F150 ...... Now just waiting on my Killis Wheels and tires to get here .....

2021 Edge ST

SHOdded

Very cool, glad you got something worked out locally!  Any pics of the F150 with 'em on?  Killer Killis wheels, oh yeah!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MeanKS

Quote from: kbeck59 on December 28, 2013, 10:19:24 AM
no fitment issues with  22 +35 offset wheels and 265 35 22 rubber..... you may be correct about the Meccas  not able to take as much abuse due to the lightweight design....

do you have less confidence in light-weight wheels in general now, or perhaps Giovannas/Gianelles light series specifically?

idk if they are forged like TSWs, they aren't the cheapest wheels on the market...
MKS-EB...

Lanson

Quote from: DRII on December 31, 2013, 02:32:15 PM

do you have less confidence in light-weight wheels in general now, or perhaps Giovannas/Gianelles light series specifically?

idk if they are forged like TSWs, they aren't the cheapest wheels on the market...

They are 2 piece, but they aren't forged.  They offer forged options, but not at this price point.  The 2 pieces usually put together by heating the barrel and dropping the center in, then welding some of it or all of it.

I'm disappointed they bent so easily.  I like WTW-branded wheels in general, but there may be some weakness in this "lightweight" design.
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

MeanKS

Quote from: Lanson on December 31, 2013, 04:52:52 PM
Quote from: DRII on December 31, 2013, 02:32:15 PM

They are 2 piece, but they aren't forged.  They offer forged options, but not at this price point.  The 2 pieces usually put together by heating the barrel and dropping the center in, then welding some of it or all of it.

I'm disappointed they bent so easily.  I like WTW-branded wheels in general, but there may be some weakness in this "lightweight" design.

how do you feel about 22s on the SHO/MKS in general?
MKS-EB...

SwampRat

New Giovanna Killis Wheels matte black  20 x 8.5 +35 offset  and  HANKOOK - Ventus V12 Evo 255/45ZR20 rubber  on the way      .... FEDEX delivery set for Tuesday 01/07   pics to follow  ... 

I had no clearance issues with my old 22" Meccas   I really liked the Look  ... Its just that low Pro Rubber was the only option for fitting on the SHO   .....

If you live in an area were the streets are in better shape it probably would not be an issue  ...

2021 Edge ST

DJE624

I hope Tuesday comes fast for you!

BiGMaC

Those will be really sick looking on your ride!  :thumb: Pics would be awesome once you get them on.

I think you'll like the improved ride with the slightly taller sidewall (more air) and there should be a little more protection for the wheel too  :yeah:  ......... So hopefully you won't have to do all this again anytime soon....at least not until the mod bug bites again!

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

MeanKS

Quote from: kbeck59 on January 03, 2014, 10:19:24 AM
New Giovanna Killis Wheels matte black  20 x 8.5 +35 offset  and  HANKOOK - Ventus V12 Evo 255/45ZR20 rubber  on the way      .... FEDEX delivery set for Tuesday 01/07   pics to follow  ... 

I had no clearance issues with my old 22" Meccas   I really liked the Look  ... Its just that low Pro Rubber was the only option for fitting on the SHO   .....

If you live in an area were the streets are in better shape it probably would not be an issue  ...

you actually had higher profile rubber than most that have 22's on their car (35 vs the typical 30).

makes me worry about getting 22's  :unsure:
MKS-EB...

Josephm

Curious as to what the purpose of putting 22' wheels on a SHO or is just for looks?
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

DJE624

I don't know why anyone would put 22's on a SHO either.  The 20's are a perfect size for me, with a little more rubber on them.  My new wheels are 20's but they do look a little bigger because the way the spokes spread out further. 

MeanKS

well, i have a MKS-EB; which IMO swallows up its wheels far more than the square shouldered SHO.  perhaps its the difference in contrast to my eyes, the MKS's rounded profile makes the wheels seem a size smaller to me...
MKS-EB...

DJE624

22's might look good on an MKS if you have enough rubber on them.  But, aren't the SHO and MKS basically the same size car?  On the other hand you may be right about different flow of body lines affecting the way the wheels look.  If you don't have springs the wheels will look smaller too.