• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Baseline Dyno Runs '14 ESport

Started by QuickSilver, December 17, 2013, 09:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuickSilver

So I must have called about 20 tuner shops with dyno's in the LA/OC/SoCal area,I pulled them off of the DynoJet website which could clearly stand to be updated as about 8 or so of the shops were out of business or the number disconnected. One of the shops was too big to be bothered to rent thier Dyno out (Cobb Tuning :-)  and  one didn't call me back for two days (GRC in MV).  Most of the rest only have 2WD dynos.  Anyway, I had a great coversation  from a very cool shop owner/tuner at Powertrain Dynamics in HB who had me try GMG Motorsports in Santa Ana/Costa Mesa. These guys were very professional on the phone, gave me the rates($175/hr, or 4 pulls with AFR readings) and set an appointment. Done and done.  I have seen the GMG windshield banners around for years on Porsches but had never been there. When I got there it was :yikes:  They have 10 lifts, 5 full semi's with custom car carriers,  and Porches, Ferraris, Maserati's, Audis(old school Quatros thru R8's) everywhere. Man, this place has some eye candy hanging out in their building!!  Not only do they have an AWD dyno but it's in it's own room or 'cell' that has full venting, lotsa air movers and a couple giant windows for viewing 8)  Yeah, they won't let you in the cell during the runs but in our litiginous society, who can blame them...I did get some jabs from a couple techs about dyno'ing a  kid mover but it was in good fun.  So I'd like to say I have great back to back results of stock Vs LMS 93 Octane V3 'high boost' calibration but the way I ordered the 93 cal, it's set up for downpipes, full exhaust, and an upgraded IC so the tune was way to rich to make big HP gains(tho it did make over 60lbsft of torque) with all stock hardware.  It'll be a couple weeks before the other upgrades. If my schedule allows, I'll see if I can get another session after doing just the exhaust & DP's to see how much just those alone are worth.  Oh and I didn't notice(or specify I guess??) that the tech didn't hook up the AF ratio probe so we didn't get those numbers, my bad. And no, I don't have any datalogging equip yet. I prolly won't know how to use that stuff when I do get it :icon_redface: I'm Kinda stuck in the mechanical/analog gauge zone  like the ones I've been using for 25 years.  The ESport is my first modern turbo project...

AJ

2014 Ingot Silver Explorer Sport- LMS V3 Tune, AirRaid CAI, Hi_flow Catted DP's to Complete dual 2.5" exhaust, 19"X 9.5"TSW Panorama Rotary Forged/powdercoated Rims, Cree LED Foglights, Hoping for those Megan coilovers to be developed...

DJE624

Sounds like a fun day!  Nice gain on the TQ.  Hopefully the pipes will help you lean out for more HP.  I see you got rid of that dip @ 5K  too.  Nice.

SHOdded

Thanks for posting your dyno runs, QS.  Glad you persisted in finding an AWD and were rewarded with all that eye candy :)  Hopefully you will hit the top of that graph soon with your upcoming mods!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

bigmoneycloser

What exhaust set up are you using?
LMS is taking forever..
2014 Explorer Sport 401A
22x10.5 Vossen CVT- powder coated Matte Graphite
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico 285/35/22
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

QuickSilver

Quote from: bigmoneycloser on December 17, 2013, 10:46:30 PM
What exhaust set up are you using?
LMS is taking forever..

Funny you should ask BMC, see new thread ;)  The shop I use is Costa Mesa Muffler, they are the only shop that I know of in 'The OC' that has a mandrel bender.  Mike has done over a dozen systems for me over the years and I've never been dissatisfied.
AJ

2014 Ingot Silver Explorer Sport- LMS V3 Tune, AirRaid CAI, Hi_flow Catted DP's to Complete dual 2.5" exhaust, 19"X 9.5"TSW Panorama Rotary Forged/powdercoated Rims, Cree LED Foglights, Hoping for those Megan coilovers to be developed...

bigmoneycloser

Can't air to see how it turns out...
2014 Explorer Sport 401A
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

bigmoneycloser

2014 Explorer Sport 401A

BlueSHO

Am I reading that graph right at about 7hp max gain over stock?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

QuickSilver

Quote from: JeffsSport on December 17, 2013, 11:26:34 PM
Am I reading that graph right at about 7hp max gain over stock?

Apples to Oranges. I ordered the tune for substantially higher flowing componants so LMS added tons of fuel. I still have the stock Ex/DP's/IC  my only intention today was a BASELINE stock dyno run, I flashed in the 93 octane cal just for fun, it was pig rich(as it should be!) so a 7hp gain is not a shock, heck it probably should have LOST power with the 'wrong tune'

Now, when I go back in a few weeks with the supporting hardware, it will gain 100WHP over stock(pulled that # outta my a$$ but you get my point right ;)  )
AJ

BlueSHO

OK..I'll watch for the update. Thanks for documenting this..

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

TouchOfEvil

Not sure how much extra fuel they said they put in it but the tune they give will reach 10.2/1 at times. Thats just how the tune is, very rich.
2014 XSport

QuickSilver

Quote from: TouchOfEvil on December 18, 2013, 01:38:30 AM
Not sure how much extra fuel they said they put in it but the tune they give will reach 10.2/1 at times. Thats just how the tune is, very rich.

I've owned and modded  dozens of turbo cars but I'm  getting the idea I need to relearn tuning for the EcoBoost platform, target AFR's on my older stuff is 11.5-12.2 or so. 10.2 will absolutely kill the HP on the Chrysler/Buick stuff. Direct injection learning curve :black_eye:

Jeffs, I just looked at the graph a little closer, you using 'new math' ;D? I get a 13HP gain...
AJ

dcpatters

Where are you getting 93 octane at the pump?   You mixing 101 with 91?
2014 Explorer Sport LMS tune, 170 Stat, Airaid

BlueSHO

Quote from: QuickSilver on December 18, 2013, 09:47:26 AM

Jeffs, I just looked at the graph a little closer, you using 'new math' ;D? I get a 13HP gain...
What peak HP are you seeing? I'm on my phone so I just took the numbers from the max HP box of 283.4 vs 276.8

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

TouchOfEvil

Quote from: QuickSilver on December 18, 2013, 09:47:26 AM

I've owned and modded  dozens of turbo cars but I'm  getting the idea I need to relearn tuning for the EcoBoost platform, target AFR's on my older stuff is 11.5-12.2 or so. 10.2 will absolutely kill the HP on the Chrysler/Buick stuff. Direct injection learning curve :black_eye:

The target A/F you mention is correct, it doesn't change just because of how the fuel gets there. They just put out a pig rich tune for "SAFETY" I've asked about getting a more realistic a/f ratio but it was just with the middle man not the tuner so it never happened. Personally i aim for 11.8 so long as there is no knock but 10.2 at times and the normal is 10.7 most of the run...it's certainly killing power.
2014 XSport